Profile for Weisenwolf > Reviews

Swords Around A Throne: Napoleon's Grande Armee
by Elting
Price: 16.84

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best; better than all the rest, 30 May 2009
I have had to buy this twice; the softback copy fell apart from over reading so I had to replace it.

I have read & own dozens of books on the grand armee and this is without a doubt the best of them; it covers every aspect of big N's war machine and Elting writes in an easy fasion with a lot of well placed humour.

It is a fairly hefty work: one of the other reviewers has indicated it may be heavy going if you are new to the era and that may be so but I would not deduct stars on the basis of an author doing a too thorough job

Nice one John.

Napoleon's Polish Gamble: Eylau and Friedland 1807 (Campaign Chronicles)
Napoleon's Polish Gamble: Eylau and Friedland 1807 (Campaign Chronicles)
by Christopher Summerville
Price: 19.88

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor piece of work, 30 May 2009
I don't intend to repeat the entries of others but I have more than 100 works on the Napolenioic wars some of which are a waste of good paper but none of them are any worse than this is. It a small thin book and would not be worth the price even if it was well written; don't waste your money

Lee Evans - Big - Live at the O2 [DVD]
Lee Evans - Big - Live at the O2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Lee Evans
Offered by Lifes Essentials
Price: 3.74

2.0 out of 5 stars Patchy Show, 24 Oct 2008
I saw this show live during one of the sessions that WAS filmed for the DVD. There are without a doubt some very funny observations and its impossible not to be impressed with the effort he puts into this show just like all the others; BUT he is not that funny. A large proportion of this show falls flat, the links are poor and the less said about the singing the better. I like Lee Evans, he is a lovely man but this show is the ultimate example of achievement on the basis of hard work rather than talent.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 14, 2014 8:38 AM BST

Logitech Sports Headphones - Crystal
Logitech Sports Headphones - Crystal

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for what I paid but 30 + P&P rediculous!, 4 Aug 2008
I paid 5 for a pair of these plus about the same postage and packing. They have lasted about 18 months but the plastic has now become brittle and they are broken. Very useful for very physical training as they stay on your head and 18 months is no more than I would expect to get out of them but the sounds quality is not so good and it would appear they are now around 30 + P&P and I would not pay anywhere near that for them.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for healthy living; much better than mere scales, 13 May 2008
There are those that may wonder whether one needs to know fat percentage, water content or muscle mass, surely weight and conventional scales will do?

Well I have had my Tanita 536 for just over a week of hard training and eating healthily and have lost almost no weight at all! Ordinarily this could be a little de-motivating, I may even give up, however these scales tell me that my fat percentage is down 3% and my muscle mass is up 5lb so I am in fact doing rather well and I am suitably motivated to redouble my efforts despite the lack of weight loss.

The scales themselves are robust, easy to operate, can remember 4 persons details (Age, height & male/female) and can cope with 'guests' too and they appear adequately accurate when compared to mechanical scales and more expensive fat monitoring devices at my gym.

For 50+P&P this is invaluable to anybody on a health kick, diet or remotely interested in a healthy body composition; it is easily worth the investment.

Nemesis: The Battle for Japan, 1944-45
Nemesis: The Battle for Japan, 1944-45
by Max Hastings

4.0 out of 5 stars Opinion of a Pacific rookie, 14 Dec 2007
My knowledge of the Pacific War is fairly limited and confined to the Pearl harbour to Midway period so what I wanted was a broad brush view of the later stages of the conflict and this tome fulfilled my need very well.

Hastings gives a good chronological account of each part of the campaign with plenty of flavour and puts the battles and decisions of all participants into context: if the evidence supports a conclusion he makes the argument and if it does not he outlines the case for each conclusion, ventures his opinion but leaves the other possibilities open for you to make your own mind up. I like this sort of approach in preference to shying away from opinion or asserting your own to the exclusion of any other possibility. The fact that the entire region is covered and not just the US campign is also very welcome and the well worn arguments regarding the dropping of the Bombs and the political situation in Japan etc. are very concisely covered.

I was left with a fair framework for the period to hang further reading onto, a great deal of respect for those who fought on both sides and a small slice of anger towards their collected political and military masters.

Had I had to spend time at the pointy end on either side I would have felt ill used I think; a very Good read.

Encyclopaedia Of German Tanks Of World War Two: The Complete Illustrated Directory of German Battle Tanks, Armoured Cars, Self-propelled Guns and Semi-tracked Vehicles, 1933-45
by Peter Chamberlain
Price: 18.10

5.0 out of 5 stars I have an extensive library on this subject and this is the best, 10 Nov 2007
Every model and variant along with every modification are covered with a thorough (and accurate) description including deployment details and full protective scheme, weapon characteristics, the lot. Virtually deviod of errors and packed with interesting information. The title is exactly what you get inside.

If you only ever buy one work on German armour but this one, if you buy two get another one of these in case you lose the first one.

Medium Tank M4: Sherman and Firefly (Tanks in Detail)
Medium Tank M4: Sherman and Firefly (Tanks in Detail)
by Terry Gander

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very detailed and deceptive title, 10 Nov 2007
This book only covers the 76mm & 105mm M4's a fact which is not clear from the title and I have no doubt is a deliberate deception; perhaps so they can sell you the other half of the story at a later date. This ommison is pretty daft since half the story of the 75mm versions has to be told anyway as background for the others and there is no reason the whole story cannot be in one book. Elsewhere the 'tanks in detail' claim is not substantiated either; the content of this book differs little to the content of for example the 'British and American Tanks' by Chamberlain and Ellis which covers many more models in equally inadequate detail. What is missing is for example a thorough breakdown of armour thickness and angles; engine performance for the various engines used and so on. You can't even compare the attributes of the 76mm gun compared to the earlier 75mm gun because the 75mm gun charaterisitics are not included and in fact anti-tank performance is not included for any of the weapons covered anyway. There are some nice pictures.

disappointing, doesn't do what it says on the cynically deceptive cover or the title and is poor value.

The German Order of Battle: Panzers and Artillery in World War II
The German Order of Battle: Panzers and Artillery in World War II
by George F. Nafziger

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent reference source, 6 Nov 2007
This does exactly what it says on the tin; my only reservtion is that although it covers in detail the theoretical organisation it rarely ventures into the actual strengths of the various fofmations covered.

Logic3 MIP103KB i-Station 3 Speaker System for iPod - Black
Logic3 MIP103KB i-Station 3 Speaker System for iPod - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Average bit of kit, 9 May 2007
I brought this on the basis of Amazon ratings, I don't normally do that as I am usually sceptical about star ratings but everyone seemed of the same mind so I took the plunge!

I wanted to avoid merely 'adequate' but tinny sound (Like the old CD player type speakers) and I did not want something that will break in a suitcase or if it falls more than 5 inches but I didn't imagine I could get that at this price.

Well there is a reason everyone is of the same mind as what we have here is quite simply an excellent set of travel speakers. They sound superb; they close down small & look good (OK they smudge a bit with finger prints but all black ipod owners know and live with this). General opinion at a recent bit of a doo at my place was that they must cost 60 or 70 quid (one guest suggested over a 100!) and nobody believed the actual cost till I e-mailed the link so 'good value for money' doesn't do Logic3 justice.

Not only do I have a low space mobile stereo system with thousands of tracks when on holiday which is what I was after but the sound is good enough for the garden so all those BBQ's and summer parties are covered too and I can bin my beat box and get rid of all the CD's for good.

Stop searching and buy this one; rare as it is these days this does exactly what they say it does on the box :)

UPDATE TO THE ABOVE - 6 MONTHS on

Sadly the above is only half the story. When the dock is opened for use it forms an L shaped cross section inevitably held in place inside by a piece of plastic. As there is no remote this means using the pad on the front of the i-pod and effectively pushing against the piece of plastic and mine has of course broken so the dock has fallen flat on it's back. In addition one of the speakers has gone on the blink possibly because when open the speakers have no protection at all.

The dock has been used in a responsible and careful manner and I would say is still reasonable value on a budget but very much an occasional use consumable item rather that the long term reliable option I was looking for.

I think I will be stepping up to the 60-70 quid bracket after all.

I would like to change this to *** (three stars) but that option does not appear to be available; which beggars the question as to how reliable anything can be on the basis of these reviews.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 19, 2011 9:10 AM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4