Profile for C. J. Adelaide > Reviews

Content by C. J. Adelaide

C. J. Adelaide "control freak" (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Belle
Belle

4.0 out of 5 stars Welcome Back Bic!, 23 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Belle (MP3 Download)
I have to start the review by saying I'm a big fan of Bic Runga and have been since I first heard her most famous (but not necessarily her best) song 'Sway' in 2000 after it appeared in many successful movie soundtracks. Since then I have fallen in love with her body of work including 'Drive' (1997), 'Beautiful Collision' (2002), 'Birds' (2005) and her rareties collection 'Try To Remember Everything' (2008). Her music has a way of speaking to my heart, her emotive and at times fragile voice gripping a listener so strongly, so when 'Belle' was announced as being released late last year, I was elated.

The album doesn't necessarily disappoint, I'll start there. Out of the ten tracks there are seven or eight perfectly solid songs - perhaps few have the grasping choruses and toe-tapping beats of previous favourites like 'Get Some Sleep'and 'Election Night' or the epic ballad like 'Captured' but overall the tracks are infectiously catchy. Lead single 'Hello Hello' is a summery triumph, possibly one of Bic's greatest singles in her career. Follow-up single 'Tiny Little Piece Of My Heart' is a glittery homage to sixties motown and 'This Girl's Prepared For War' may be the best song on here, an illustrious, fearless hit in the making that could be worth the cost of the album alone. 'Good Love' and 'If You Really Do' are pretty mid-tempo tracks that you will be singing along with soon enough and 'Everything Is Beautiful And New', with it's almost nursery rhyme style harmonies is hauntingly beautiful.

My problem with the album is two tracks in particular, 'Devil On Tambourine' and 'Darkness All Around Us', why Kody Nielson felt the need to keep his lead vocals on these tracks I will never know. This is a Bic Runga album and she can barely be heard on both songs, particularly 'Darkness All Around Us' which is, in my opinion, the worst of the bunch, at least 'Devil On Tambourine' has its infectious beat. Both songs appear over-produced perhaps trying too hard to be different, they both seem to halt the pace of what otherwise is a really good album.

Overall I was pleased, it was certainly more 'happy' than her previous LP 'Birds' (which I personally loved) and with some tweaking here and there would be perfect, but after five years it's hard not to be a little bit disappointed as a big fan.

Sarah Millican Chatterbox (Live) [DVD] [2011]
Sarah Millican Chatterbox (Live) [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Sarah Millican
Offered by DVDBayFBA

5.0 out of 5 stars Genuinely painfully funny, 2 Jan. 2012
Having been a fan of Sarah Millican since the first series of her hilarious radio show 'Sarah Millican's Support Group', I was anticipating her first live DVD but fearful that it may not live up to expectations. Well as soon as I popped this DVD in the player, all that was forgotten. Millican is such an endearing character that her comedy is just like a friend gossiping with you, she's bright, warm and unashamedly rude - what more could you want? There's something for everyone here (just not the kids or any easily shocked/embarrassed family members!) as she lampoons subjects like living alone, divorce, cake and why you should never let your boyfriend near Claire's Accessories! Me and my partner were teary-eyed from laughing so much in the end, what a fantastic way to spend a spare hour and a half - infact every spare hour and a half should be spent watching this!

The bonus features are pretty nice too, there's a twelve minute interview, a short featurette on her divorce tips, a rare radio short and her Royal Variety performance which is mostly the same as some of the gags in the main show, but is still lovely to have on disc.

Here's hoping a DVD of her current tour 'Thoroughly Modern Millican' is on it's way!

Real Housewives Get Personal
Real Housewives Get Personal
by Martha O'Connor

5.0 out of 5 stars 'WooHOOO!', 14 Feb. 2011
As a big fan of all the Real Housewives of... shows I just had to get this book. It covers all of the first four shows in the franchise, from Orange County to New York, Atlanta and New Jersey.

For a Housewives fan this is pretty much the holy grail of books, it isn't one sided like a stars autobiography may be, it's balanced and has frank insight from both the stars, producers and crew on the show dishing on what really happened to cause some of the funniest, heartbreaking and most controversial moments from the women that have America talking. Including exclusive interviews with the wives past and present, they don't hold back when talking about their co-stars, from OC's Tamra Barney telling it like it is about Gretchen Rossi (eww) to New Jersey's Teresa ripping into Danielle Staub, I honestly couldn't put this book down!

One of the best parts of the book is the contents pages where all the Housewives are lined up underneath with some of their most famous quotes - it honestly had me laughing and rolling my eyes at some of them for some time!

If only the other Housewives series would be released on DVD over here, especially OC seasons 2-5 and Atlanta *hint hint* but until then, in the words of the fantastic Vicki Gunvalson from OC, this book gets a 'WooHOOO!'
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 19, 2012 12:14 AM BST

Kathy Griffin - My Life on the D-List: Season 2 [DVD] [2009] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Offered by RAREWAVES USA

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 14 Feb. 2011
UK Kathy Griffin fans seem quite rare but I'm proud to say I'm a big fan and avid viewer of her hit reality show 'My Life On The D-List' so when the second season was finally released in the US I had to order it as soon as possible. In this two-disc set you'll get six hilarious episodes of the show, this seasons won Kathy her first Emmy award!

There's also a couple of bonus scenes featured, though it isn't much, but it's nice to see some bonus clips that didn't make it to the show. There are three additional scenes or 'webisodes' featured on disc 2 that total to just over 9 minutes...so it's not much, but it'll do.

I've since bought seasons 3 and 4 on ebay and of course the content is still fantastic and the good news is the special features are even better, with 2 hours of bonus scenes on Season 3 and an hour and a half of bonus scenes on Season 4.

Well worth the purchase, just make sure you own an all region DVD player, or at least one that you can unlock easily!

The Real Housewives of Orange County: Series 1 [DVD]
The Real Housewives of Orange County: Series 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ The Real Housewives of Orange County

5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive, but want the other seasons on DVD!, 5 Feb. 2010
I'm a big fan of The Real Housewives of Orange County and have pretty much been hooked from the very first episode. Sadly it's never been treated well viewing wise on TV in the UK (the first 2 seasons were shown on LivingTV, the third on DivaTV and the fourth and fifth seasons are still to be shown on UK television - if they ever will be!). This season one boxset is great but it frustrates me that the rest of the seasons have not been released on DVD - just season one! Seasons 2-5 are currently being prepared for release in the US on DVD, but with no confirmed release date and I really doubt they will be released over here. I like all the Real Housewives series(OC, New York, Atlanta and New Jersey) but OC, to me is not only the original but also the best. Guess I'll be importing the region 1 dvd's when they're eventually released! This is the complete first season so there are 7 episodes plus the reunion special where the housewives get together again after filming has completed and get to watch back the most controversial, funny or at times sad moments from the show and discuss what's happened since the show finished filming. Here's hoping seasons 2,3,4 and 5 get released over here on DVD someday...

Definatly check out this series if you like to be able to sit down and watch a reality show where you don't really have to think and can just enjoy it, I especially love Vicki on the show - woohoo!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 17, 2012 10:06 PM BST

Gossip Girl  Complete Season 2 [DVD] [2009]
Gossip Girl Complete Season 2 [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Blake Lively
Offered by filmrollen

5.0 out of 5 stars Special Features!, 29 Jan. 2010
Bought the boxset 2 days ago from Amazon and it arrived this morning. Haven't watched any of this season yet (am currently rewatching season 1 before I start this set) but I have already checked discs 3 and 7 and am happy to report all special features are there, so I'm guessing the boxsets have been re-issued with the re-printed discs!

Loved season 1 (have a huge crush on Chuck!) and am sure season 2 will be just as juicy! XOXO
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 22, 2010 12:50 AM GMT

Glee - Season 1 (Pilot Episode - Director's Cut) [DVD]
Glee - Season 1 (Pilot Episode - Director's Cut) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Lea Michele
Offered by Qoolist

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm waiting for the boxset but..., 26 Jan. 2010
I am waiting for season one part 1 boxset to be released but I still bought this pilot episode DVD today to keep me going until then! As well as the Directors Cut of the pilot episode (it includes 'Leaving On A Jet Plane' and was the version shown on e4 in early January) the DVD also contains 23 minutes of special features. A word of warning, all of these special features (minus the Episode 2 Preview)are included on the season 1 part 1 boxset, but for someone like me whom is waiting for the region 2 release then it's a great preview of what is to come from the DVD set. Special Features are:

'Showmance' Episode 2 Preview (13min54s)
Dance Boot Camp Featurette (3min08s)
Deconstructing 'Glee' with Ryan Murphy (2min44s)
What Is Glee? (0:47s)
Rachel - On My Own: Full Length Audition (3min04s)
Mercedes - Respect: Full Length Audition (0:52s)

The only negative point I could have about this DVD is that the featurettes are REALLY short. They're great but could have been fleshed out a bit more. Loved the extended auditions and while the episode 2 preview isn't necessarily needed it's still a nice addition. If you can't wait for the boxset, like me, than skip Heat magazine for 2 weeks and spend the money on this DVD instead!

Ugly Betty - Season 3 [DVD]
Ugly Betty - Season 3 [DVD]
Dvd ~ America Ferrera
Offered by wmdservices

4.0 out of 5 stars Packed Full Of Fun, But Low On Features, 30 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Ugly Betty - Season 3 [DVD] (DVD)
I have to say I was a bit torn by season two of Ugly Betty. It just didn't live up to it's spectacular first season (something Desperate Housewives also had a problem with in season two), however I'm more than pleased to say that season three of U.B. really is back on top form. I know the fourth season is currently struggling ratings-wise in the U.S. and that's such a shame as it would be sad to lose such a heartwarming, funny and truly diverse show. I cannot fault the episodes presented in this boxset one bit, and the packaging is lovely, but I do have to sigh at the lack of special features given to this season. For a 24 episode show to have barely 35 minutes of special features just shoved onto the final disc really is a shame. There is a fun 12 minute featurette on the show moving back to New York City, a cute bloopers reel, a selection of deleted scenes and what is promised to be 'Mode: After Hours'. I had watched some of the 'Mode: After Hours' series on youtube before, so to see it listed under special features was pleasing until I popped the disc in and discovered just 2 of the 12 mini-episodes are featured! I know they are available to view on youtube, but why list 'Mode After Hours' when it's not the full thing? It could have easily been included on the set, with 2 episodes (they're about 3-4 minutes each in length) per disc. Either way, this season of Ugly Betty was fantastic, it's just a shame more thought wasn't put into the product itself.
Comment Comment | Permalink

The Fame Monster (International Digipack Edition)
The Fame Monster (International Digipack Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the extra few quid, 16 Dec. 2009
There's one thing I'd like to make clear about this release to start off my review. This is not an album re-release, this is by all means a brand new studio album that happens to be packaged with GaGa's multi-million debut release 'The Fame'.

As a big fan of 'The Fame' I wasn't so sure of GaGa's ability to top the album, to create one of similar quality in the future, and never expected one so soon after her first release. At just 8 tracks it may seem thin on value at first but it is more than meets the eye. By having just 8 tracks it bulldozes those 3 or 4 'average' skippable songs usually found on any album and gives 8 bold, fresh songs so that the listener never has to even consider pressing the skip button. Lead single 'Bad Romance' is insane, bonkers and yet wildly beautiful as is it's video. 'Dance In The Dark' and 'Monster' are similar (yet worlds apart) to 'Bad Romance' and 'Speechless' pulls down the tempo to a track similar to 'Brown Eyes' off her debut. Gaga's vocal ability is always questioned by some yet it's on tracks like this that showcase just how fine a singer she really is. 'Teeth' is amazingly insane, a thumping track that KT Tunstall wishes she could pull off with such artistry and vision. 'So Happy I Could Die' is a grower, what starts off as a substandard club track soon becomes so much more, and is currently my favourite song on this set. 'Telephone' featuring Beyonce is another club track, it's catchy and addictive and though unsure at first, Beyonce's part on the track fits perfectly. This is rumoured to be single #2 and if it is then I can not wait to see the video! If anything the strength of this new disc highlights just how weak it sounds against her debut album. Don't get me wrong, 'The Fame' is a fantastic collection of pop hits, but compared to this new 8-track album, it struggles to hold it's weight. How she will top this with her new album I'll never know, but I'm dying to see!

But the main reason I'm posting this review is to comment on this version, the 'international digipack edition'. I had been 'umm-ing' and 'ahhh-ing' other whether or not to buy this version for a few weeks now, even holding out on buying the album full stop until this version came down in price. But I gave in and bought this edition and I'm so happy that I did! I love collecting music (CD's are not dead!) and in a world where most would rather collect a folder of invisible 'files', it's always great to buy a deluxe edition of a CD. The second disc, as well as featuring 'The Fame' also has 'Retro Dance Freak', a track that was as far as I know, previously only released as a bonus track in Japan. It's not the best song on the album, but it is cute and to anyone that collects GaGa it is of course a must have. The digipack is pretty, I prefer this brunette cover to the blonde one and the photos on the panels inside are lovely as is the booklet (which is the same as the standard version) that features all the lyrics for both the albums. Gold printing features on the cover of the digipack and it really is lovely, looks great on my shelf and sounds amazing blasting out of my stereo!
Comment Comment | Permalink

Get Into You
Get Into You

5.0 out of 5 stars Another reissue from Dannii for her fans, 14 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Get Into You (Audio CD)
Over the past few years us Dannii Minogue fans have been treated to more that most specific-artist fans could even dream of. In 2006 we were treated to her first UK Greatest Hits 'The Hits And Beyond', that itself was so much more than your standard hits collection - not only did it feature 15 classic defining-pop moments but it also boasted 5 new tracks to whet fans appetites. In November 2007 Ms. Minogue brought us more stocking-fillers than we could have even hoped for. Her third album, 1997's 'Girl' and 2003's 'Neon Nights' were both re-issued with bonus remix discs and a plethora of b-sides, rareties and previously unreleased tracks and mixes. Also came The Video Collection, a DVD of all her clips so far, plus her 5th studio album 'Club Disco'. On the same day 'Unleashed' was - unleashed on us (I'm sorry, but it had to be done!). A hybrid release of hit remixes and previously unreleased demos from 2002-2004 it showcased a different side to Disco (as her fans and friends know her), experimenting slightly with the r'n'b sounds that echo back to this, her sophomore album from 1993 'Get Into You'.

Despite opening with the sugary sweet pop hit 'This Is It', the album is not in the same vein. 'This Is The Way' flirts with the early 90's dance scene and despite not being the huge hit it deserved to be (peaking at #27 in the UK charts) it is still as delicious a pop tune as ever. 'Be Careful' is a standout track, with gorgeous vocals and 'Wish You'd Stop Wishing' sounds as fresh as it did when the album was first released. 'Love's On Every Corner' showcases the songwriting talents of Cathy Dennis (who went onto pen older sister Kylie's 'Can't Get You Out Of My Head' amongst many other pop hits) and 'Get Into You' unleashes the rock goddess inside Dannii. As well as featuring the entire album re-mastered the main pull of this re-issue is the 3 previously unreleased bonus songs AND a b-side that was previously only released on cassette single! All 4 bonus tracks are worth a listen, with 'Feels So Good' in particular shining through as a standout. The bonus disc features a few gems, in particular the mixes of album track 'Be Careful', a song that should have been a hit single for this album.

Add onto this package another fantastic 24-page booklet, packed with photos and full album lyrics and this package completely exceeds all expectations. Once again Dannii does not disappoint, and it's releases like this that show just how much she loves and cares for her fans that have supported her all these years. There are very few artists who would invest all this time, effort and extras content into album re-issues and special fan releases.

Make sure to also check out 'The 1995 Sessions' if you haven't already!

Page: 1 | 2