Profile for W. D. Hamilton > Reviews

Content by W. D. Hamilton

W. D. Hamilton (Glasgow, UK)

Peckin' Time
Peckin' Time

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible album, 17 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Peckin' Time (Audio CD)
This is the first album I have heard with Hank Mobley as the front man and it is incredible. The music is sublime and the SACD quality creates a very open soundstage with clear and concise sonics that make you feel the musicians are all in your lounge playing just for you. Highly recommended!!

Tigerlily
Tigerlily

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible CD, 30 May 2013
This review is from: Tigerlily (Audio CD)
I have the original version of this CD from 1995 and have always been very impressed with it. It is one of the CDs that I use when demoing new hi-fi equipment.

I have Mobile Fidelity CDs from the 90s, which are fantastic, but thought I would give this a try to see just how much better it might be.

While I am partial to SACDs for overall clarity and the feeling of space you get, this CD really shows how incredible a well-mastered and pressed red book CD can sound.

For fans of the album, or of Natalie Merchant, I would say it is a must have. But then again, for fans of good music it is a must have too!

Microfibre Cloths Universal Cleaning Pads compatible with X5 and Vax S2 Steam Mops (Pack of 3)
Offered by MrStar

4.0 out of 5 stars Good replacements, 30 May 2013
The microfibre cloths work well with the X5. It takes quite a bit of pulling on the cord in the beginning to really get them to stay on well, but after the first use they stay on without a problem.

The Nepal Cookbook
The Nepal Cookbook
by Padden Choedak Oshoe

5.0 out of 5 stars Yummy!!!, 8 Nov. 2009
This review is from: The Nepal Cookbook (Paperback)
There is no much I can say expect this recipe book is fantastic!!! Here in Britain their are many Indian and Bangladeshi curry houses but Nepalese food is so different. It is warm and comforting and delicious. If you like curried foods you will love this book. Plenty of good recipes for the veggies out there too!

Perfect Exposure
Perfect Exposure
by Michael Freeman

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Exposure is Perfect Instruction, 8 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Perfect Exposure (Paperback)
I rarely leave reviews for items because most things are just average IMHO. This book,however, is exceptional. I had grown up shooting film and slides and actually never felt I had a problem with the photos that I took (well I didn't after reviewing them recently) but when I finally decided to make the move to a dSLR I found myself consistently disappointed with flat dull images that many times I could not get back to the original vision in Photoshop or Aperture. After reading book and digesting the information I had seen a huge leap forward in the quality of my shots at that point of taking the picture. Most often now post-processing involves minor tweaks and then changes to get a specific feel I am trying convey instead of time spent trying to recover a poorly exposed image. I am reading Freeman's 'The Complete Guide to Black & White Digital Photography' now and it is equally detailed and highly useful.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 12, 2012 8:18 PM BST

Tibetan Cookbook: Recipes for Daily Living, Celebration and Ceremony
Tibetan Cookbook: Recipes for Daily Living, Celebration and Ceremony
by Elizabeth Esther Kelly

5.0 out of 5 stars Tibetan cuisine?, 8 Oct. 2009
I bought this in advance of a trip that my partner and I were planning to Tibet and Nepal (she doesn't enjoy Indian curries and she was worried that all the food in the area would be spiced the same). The book is great, I worked through a few dishes. The cuisine is very much a mixture of Nepalese and Chinese (but don't think Chinese take-away Caton-style food). If you are up for trying something new then go for it and get the book.

Vefa's Kitchen
Vefa's Kitchen
by Vepha Alexiadou

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible depth and breadth!!!, 8 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Vefa's Kitchen (Hardcover)
This book is the Bible of Greek cooking. I have begun making some of the recipes and they are spot on. Apparently Vefa has a mixed following in Greece, but my Greek friends could all agree that the regional variations truly reflect the differences in the cuisine across Greece. If you love Greek food then buy the book.

Apple iPod Shuffle 1GB - Green
Apple iPod Shuffle 1GB - Green

5.0 out of 5 stars A runner's dream, 11 July 2009
This is actually my second iPod shuffle of this generation and I wish Apple did not change the design the way they did. I love this little iPod for running. 1GB is more than enough space to load up for a 1-2 hour run. The controls are easy to use while running without having to take my eyes off the road. The new design has the controls on the headphones necessitating using the included headphones or purchasing iPod shuffle specific headphones. I sweat a lot and go through headphones quickly so prefer to just by some cheapies for when I run. This model is the most versatile and if you run with music you should not be without it.

LeapFrog Learn & Groove Animal Sounds Guitar
LeapFrog Learn & Groove Animal Sounds Guitar
Offered by jobber1919

5.0 out of 5 stars So much fun!!!, 11 July 2009
I bought this for my nephew's first birthday. His father plays piano and I play guitar so there was a bit of an inside joke in it all, but my nephew loves playing with it. I like the fact that it teaches in English and French and his parents enjoy the ability to turn the volume down. The guitar is durable and should provide a year or more of enjoyment. It has already seen a few months of constant play!!!