Profile for Dr. Pr Beal > Reviews

Environmental Law
Environmental Law
by Stuart Bell

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was looking for, 13 May 2013
This review is from: Environmental Law (Paperback)
This book has come at the perfect time for the June 2013 NEBOSH Environmental Diploma exam. Environmental legislation is moving very fast and so it is so refreshing to see a new book out which captures the key recent developments rather than having to check every reference to ensure it is still up to date. I notice also that the authors have added an updates section onto the OUP site to allow readers to be alerted when any updates are made.

I will be reading this cover to cover but first impressions are very good and I have been glued to it ever since it was delivered. I have found that you do not need to jump around to find the key points on each area or refer to other books for background etc as it is all in there. I like the inclusion of additional references online (and have already downloaded them).

On a lighthearted note - I had to chuckle at the "autocorrect typo" on page 578 where the Clear Air for Europe Directive 2008 (known as CAFE) has been autocorrected so it has the accute acent on the E!

I think I will become very good friends with this book (in fact, I suspect I will end up gazing at it more than my other half over the next 5 weeks!

Highly recommended!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 14, 2013 6:39 PM BST

SAI Quality All-In-One Waterproof Heart Rate Monitor Watch and Transmitter Chest Belt - For Exercise, Sports, Running, Jogging and All Outdoor Activities - Data, Stopwatch, Chronograph and Alarm Functions

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product for the price, 28 Feb 2013
This is a good system for the cost. You can pay a lot more for more functionality but if you are looking for just the basics of how hard you are working and how many calories/how much fat then this will do the job admirably. Heart rate and calorie burn seem comparable to my Garmin Forerunner that I use for running outdoors (I only use this watch in the gym) and the zone functionality is very useful for interval training.

Runner's World Big Book of Marathon and Half-Marathon Training: Winning Strategies, Inpiring Stories, and the Ultimate Training Tools

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good book, 28 Feb 2013
Very good book.

Although I wish Runners World would stop trying to claim they are the sole suppliers of this for much more money!

Swine Production - With Information on the Breeding, Care and Management of Pigs

3.0 out of 5 stars OK - but not that informative, 28 Feb 2013
I was looking for a text about the technicalities of moving pigs from birth to abbatoir and the management of the sow/boar and while this book sort of gave me this it didn't quite hit the spot. It only took me 3 hours to read and so I was expecting more information.

Yellowstone 19 LED Headlamp - Black, 1 Pack
Yellowstone 19 LED Headlamp - Black, 1 Pack
Offered by OutdoorCampingDirectUK

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but strap broke too easily, 23 Nov 2012
This is an OK torch, I like the 3 intensity setting. There is not much focus to the beam but it is good for camping and I have also used it for running.
My main gripe is that the strap over the top of the head broke on 2nd use and then the strap around the head broke after a few uses. It has been put back together with staples but is not idea.

Repel 55 Deet Insect Repellent - 120ml
Repel 55 Deet Insect Repellent - 120ml
Offered by General Stores Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant stuff, 23 Nov 2012
Highly recommended for malarial areas in Africa. We spent 2 weeks on an overland truck holiday, often encountering mossies and the 55% formulation was enough throughout. DEET is not great for the skin but this is easy to apply and it works.

Mosiband Insect Repellent Bands Pack Of 2 - DEET [Personal Care]
Mosiband Insect Repellent Bands Pack Of 2 - DEET [Personal Care]
Offered by MDC Direct

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless - waste of money, 21 Nov 2012
These got thrown away at the first time the package was opened as the buckle on both bands broke. Complete waste of money. Buy some repellant instead!

4.0 out of 5 stars Pity it is not really waterproof - otherwise OK, 2 Jun 2011
I bought this for monitoring calorie and fat burning during cycling, running and SWIMMING. I hope I can be excused for seeing the word waterproof and assuming it would be safe in a swimming pool. Sadly not, the advertising is misleading. As I am also a scuba diver I took one look at the battery housing on both the watch and the chest band and did not try it in the pool as it is clearly not designed to be anything more than splash proof.

That said, for dry exercise the monitor is very good. The zone monitoring is very good motivation and the calorie and fat burning compare well with published figures. It is comfortable to wear although the watch would be better designed so that a webbing strap could be fitted rather than the rather hard plastic one.

All in all, recommended for dry exercise but let down slightly by poor choice of words for the advertising.

Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance
Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance
by Lennard Zinn

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value - clear explanations, 10 Mar 2011
This is a very good book for the budding garage bicycle mechanic. It gives very clear explanations and good line diagrams. Some photos would be nice but this would clearly bump up the price. I would highly recommend this guide.

The Cloudspotter's Guide
The Cloudspotter's Guide
by Gavin Pretor-Pinney

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 4 Sep 2007
Really enjoyable book. I skipped over some of the poetry and mythical stories about clouds but found the rest an excellent text I happily read from cover to cover.

Page: 1 | 2