Profile for Greysuit > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
At The Family Dog Ballroom featuring special guest Jerry Garcia
At The Family Dog Ballroom featuring special guest Jerry Garcia

5.0 out of 5 stars Track 10 - "Jam" does it for me, 14 July 2011
I won't try to analyse the whole album (even though it deserves it) as others have done it far better than I could.

If you only get this album for the 26 minute "jam" at the end (the track featuring their special guest), it won't be money lost.

' ' '

Aztec Two
Aztec Two

5.0 out of 5 stars A trip down memory street, 27 May 2011
This review is from: Aztec Two (Audio CD)
I bought this album pretty well when it came out only to have it stolen a few years later.

Thankfully I managed to get another (vinyl) copy in good condition a few years ago and that simply had to be augmented with a CD version.

People write Aztec Two Step off as a poor relative to CSNY but to me, this album has special memories (as do some of the early CSN and CSNY output) so when the price came down to a realistic level - buying a piece of my memories was a no brainer.

Yes - they do have a CSNY sound to them on this album and if you want to "taste and try before you buy" the album is on Spotify.

Once you've listened to it - I'll defy you not to add it to your wish list or even buy it (assuming you half like it). Trust me - it will grow on you the more you listen to it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 17, 2011 1:58 PM BST

Original Album Classics
Original Album Classics

4.0 out of 5 stars A great "fill in" set of albums, 27 May 2011
This review is from: Original Album Classics (Audio CD)
4 stars.

As with a lot of these album sets, 4 out of the 5 are what you want to hear more of and there always seems to be one of the five that doesn't quite hit the spot.

This "box set" is no exception. I'll not name albums because one man's meat etc. ......

Notwithstanding that, excellent value for money and (in my humble opinion) only one of the five that I don't listen to regularly - it has to be a perfect opportunity to enlarge your "standard" collection with some of their less well known albums.

10M ADSL RJ11 Broadband Modem Extension Cable - Male to Male with coupler
10M ADSL RJ11 Broadband Modem Extension Cable - Male to Male with coupler
Offered by Aquarius Computers

5.0 out of 5 stars It's an extension lead !, 27 May 2011
As the title suggests, it's an extension lead - but it has all the pins connected (unlike some cables where certain features of the phone suddenly "stop working" - especially with exchanged handsets). This cable gives my extension caller display and every other option that is not normally available on "office" extensions.

Jessica's First Prayer
Jessica's First Prayer
by Hesba Stretton

5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia still is what it used to be, 27 May 2011
This review is from: Jessica's First Prayer (Paperback)
Purchased as a Christmas present for my grand-daughter and she loves it.

My wife remembers reading the book when she was the same age (8) and it stayed with her all these years as a memorable read.

Grateful Deadopoly
Grateful Deadopoly

3.0 out of 5 stars Far Out, 27 May 2011
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Grateful Deadopoly (Toy)
I've added this to my Wish List but will probably purchase it fron the Deadnet site at 2/3 of the price asked for here - but the 2/3 is in dollars!

Hopefully, there shouldn't be too much (if any) import taxes etc. but it looks like a fun option to the original game to me.

This just has to take the original Monopoly "FURTHER" !

(Might even reduce the falling out that usually happens with the traditional game!)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 20, 2012 3:23 PM GMT

Country Cooking of Ireland
Country Cooking of Ireland
by Colman Andrews

5.0 out of 5 stars More than just a cookery book, 29 April 2011
I found this book by a quite bizzare search on Amazon for "Left Handed Monkey Wrench" (Don't ask) and this featured in the items found for the search.

As my title suggests, more than just a cookery book it certainly is. Some stunning illustrations and a wealth of history behind the various cullinary sections makes it an enjoyable read - even outside the kitchen.

As the introduction states - Ireland has a reputation for not having good food. This is not true. The Irish say this to prevent us from getting it !

The secret is out now.

Bon Appetite.

Dicks Picks Vol 4
Dicks Picks Vol 4

5.0 out of 5 stars I know now why DP4 is so recommended, 24 April 2011
This review is from: Dicks Picks Vol 4 (Audio CD)
If music is like books then the first track (chapter) needs to grab your attention pretty quickly or else you start wondering whether to consign it to the local charity shop so imagine how I was feeling about DP4 when I listened to track one. Thankfully, Intro By Zacherle only lasted for just under two minutes and by the time I finished this review of track one, the music had started.

Chapter (sorry - that should read Track) Two. Straight into one of my favourite tracks - Casey Jones - but with so much more depth than the Workingman's Dead version. I'm beginning to like this album based on one "duff track" and one good `un - and as it progresses - the good `un gets even better. Yowzah !

The Martha Reeves & The Vandellas version takes so much to beat - Martha Reeves herself couldn't re-create the power of the original and whilst Bowie and Jagger got close - my vote still goes to the original Martha Reeves & The Vandellas version - but then none of the others lasted as long as this version and they certainly didn't have the same quality of instrumental break in the middle. If I was pìssed enough - I'd dance to the Martha Reeves & The Vandellas version. For pure listening pleasure - this one wins hands down - and then some. (GD a cover band - yeah - right).

A light and lively version of China Cat Sunflower - even my father-in-law said "that's not bad that" - and he's the one that - when they announced that 6.5 million tickets went on sale for the 2012 Olympics (whilst showing a picture of the main London Olympic Stadium) said - and I kid you not - "Eeeeh - they'll never all fit in there!".

A fairly short CCS but a wonderful (as always) transition into "IKYR". Instant "turn it up to eleven" stuff.

So onto High Time - Not a number that I'm familiar with by name but the opening chord was instantly recognisable (I know what I like but don't always know the title of the track - shame on me for that). What can I say - such melancholy at this early stage of the album. Beautiful.

Dire Wolf. Once again - so much more feeling than the studio cut from Workingman's Dead. A wonderful follow on from High Time.

Wonderfully dreamy 9 minute intro to Dark Star followed by a crisp and clean vocal intro and then, half way through - kicks off into another level - and eventually returns to a wonderful (and powerful) finale leading into the final / traditional vocal closure of the song.

A slight overlap from DS to a full ½ hour version of TIFTOO but - never a great fan of drum solos - about a third of the way through, it positively explodes into the guitar rift that we all know and love and then just keeps getting better and then suddenly drops down to a quiet closing passage before lifting back up for a crescendo finish that runs straight into another ½ hour "Turn On Your Love Light".

"Turn On Your Love Light" - Disappointing. The track doesn't really go anywhere for the first 15 minutes but when it does start to "get it together" it actually ends up not `arf bad but to take so long to get going was - as I suggested - disappointing.

A short Alligator running into Drums - most of which I skipped - running into Me And My Uncle followed by Not Fade Away - and it doesn't - it's upbeat throughout and runs seamlessly into a new one on me - Mason's Children. And a fine piece it is too.

The final track for me (I don't do feedback - even though I gave this one a chance) before "Goodnight" is a storming Caution (Do Not Step On The Tracks). Full of energy from start to finish.

Yes - I can see why DP4 receives such high praise.

' ' '
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 12, 2012 9:46 AM BST

Lau: Live
Lau: Live
Offered by CiriusMusic

5.0 out of 5 stars Prog Folk at its best, 20 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Lau: Live (Audio CD)
Probably their best album so far.

This is not finger in the ear folk music - this is crank it up to 11 folk music.

Some amazing overlaps, fiddling and time signatures could help Lau to re-define folk music.

Let's hope so.

Leitz Snap'n'Store CD Archive Box Black Hard Paperboard
Leitz Snap'n'Store CD Archive Box Black Hard Paperboard
Offered by Capital Stores

3.0 out of 5 stars Simple and Effective, 20 Jan. 2011
Very easy to assemble (press studs) and helps to keep the study looking a bit more presentable than having music CDs stacked up one on top of another collecting dust.

Maybe a little pricey for what they are but they appear to be substantially more robust than some other boxes that I've bought (and destroyed over the years!) - so on reflection - worth the price.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 21, 2011 11:32 AM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7