Profile for Ricoh > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
7 Days
7 Days

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for the faint hearted., 19 Sep 2014
This review is from: 7 Days (Amazon Instant Video)
A quite disturbing movie. As a viewer, you have great sympathy with the dad, but this does change slightly as the movie develops. A 'shocking' watch. Subtitled.

Das Experiment
Das Experiment

3.0 out of 5 stars Strangely enoyable!, 19 Sep 2014
This review is from: Das Experiment (DVD)
Apparently based on a real experiment that was done in California (although this was based on a book and is German with subtitles!). It is quite a fascinating little film, where a group of volunteers are assigned roles in a prison, and observed by a group of scientists. Pretty basic premise, but the film unfolds dramatically as one of the 'prisoners' decides to buck against the system. I enjoyed it, didn't think it was great, but there was enough happening to keep me interested. Not sure how close this film is 'in fact' to the real experiment, but enjoy this on it's own.

Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues

2.0 out of 5 stars although I do like many of Will Ferrets film, 19 Sep 2014
I was not a major fan of the first Anchorman, although I do like many of Will Ferrets film, so watching number 2 was going to be a test. There were some great funny moments (hence I can manage 2 stars), the problem was these were very scarce, and with a film lasting 2 hours, there were many more moments of dire humour - just not funny moments. I reckon big fans of Anchorman 1 will enjoy this, but anybody else give it a wide berth.

Public Enemies
Public Enemies

4.0 out of 5 stars Well paced drama., 19 Sep 2014
This review is from: Public Enemies (DVD)
I really enjoyed this. It was done over 3 hours (3 episodes) and that really gave opportunities to develop the characters. Acting by Darren Mayes. as always was great, and Anna Friel gave an excellent performance as the parole officer. I thought it was a real good storyline, it had imperfections, but generally a well thought out, well acted drama. I thoroughly recommend.

Snowtown
Snowtown

4.0 out of 5 stars Tough stomach required., 4 Sep 2014
This review is from: Snowtown (Blu-ray)
An excellent, if hard to watch movie. Some of the scenes will have you cowering behind your settee, but make no mistakes, this is not just some gory attempt of shock horror, it is a brilliantly played out true story of Australia's most famous serial killer, John Bunting. The slow pace gives opportunity to really develop the characters, and the acting is tremendous. It seems odd to say this given the subject matter, but it is an excellent movie.

Maniac
Maniac

1.0 out of 5 stars Stands alone as one of the worst., 2 Sep 2014
This review is from: Maniac (Blu-ray)
Oh dear! A quite appalling film. The one advantage was the way it was filmed, meant you didn't have to put up too much with looking at Elijah Wood, and as he can't act his way out of a paper bag, this is not a bad thing. Sadly this is the only thing the film has going for it. Cheap, shock horror, quite disastrous storyline, nothing much going for it really. Painfully bad!

Flying Blind
Flying Blind

2.0 out of 5 stars Give it a miss., 27 Aug 2014
This review is from: Flying Blind (DVD)
This had a decent storyline, and was well acted, but it just went along too slowly for me. I know that's the way the film was meant to develop, but I got quite bored watching it. Not really for me. Overblown and pretentious.

The Long Way Round
The Long Way Round
Offered by encorerecords

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit dull., 22 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Long Way Round (Audio CD)
I would probably give this 2.5 stars but there is no facility for this, so I have upped it to 3. I had not really heard of this guy before but heard the track 'Nobody Loves You Till Your Dead' which I thought was a cracker. Got the album cheaply on Amazon, so no great risk really. However a bit disappointed. I found the lyrics generally pretty tame, and Mr Elliot seems to treading on pretty safe ground here, both musically and lyrically. Nothing to get too excited about.

Howzat! Kerry Packer's War
Howzat! Kerry Packer's War

4.0 out of 5 stars A really good account., 22 Aug 2014
This review is from: Howzat! Kerry Packer's War (DVD)
A pretty riveting account of the story of World Series Cricket. Although at the time he was seen as a rebel, and an outcast, Kerry Packer changed the way cricket was played, and enabled talented cricketers to earn a decent wage. I was into cricket at that time, and thought of him as exactly that, but this opened my eyes to the full story. He seemed a nasty and ruthless man, but he knew what he wanted, and he got it. A good watch.

I Predict a Graceful Expulsion
I Predict a Graceful Expulsion
Offered by MasterDVD

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit too Cold!, 20 Aug 2014
On reading the reviews, and listening to a couple of clips on youtube, I had to have this album. However, on first listening's (and there have been a few now) I am somewhat disappointed. Lyrically very potent, the album just does not quite do it for me. The songs tend to mellow into each other, without a lot of variation, and it all becomes a bit overwhelming. There are some great tracks (Winter Solstice, Elephant Head and Blank Maps), and the girl can obviously sing, but it just lacks something to make it a truly great album. However I can see how people will fall in love with it, just maybe not for me. Perhaps there is a lot more to come from Cold Specks.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5