Profile for BinaryJam > Reviews

Content by BinaryJam

BinaryJam (UK)

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the best, 4 Mar 2008
This was the second travel system we have had. This time we needed one for the a smaller car, we needed something to easily fit in the boot, this model does the trick.

Starting with the good.

The carrier/car seat is excellent, the new design being a little bigger than the old meant we could keep our tall baby in it instead of moving up before he was ready. More locking positions on the handle than the older design to for a bit of flexibility for the parent, however the first position tends to click in quickly and can give you a bad back, make sure you go all the way the baby sits back and it will save your back.

When you first try the pushchair out it feels quite solid and responsive and easy to move about you weave in and out of the aisles at the shop you test it at quite easily.

The seat belt system of the pram is marvelous. Over the shoulder connects to waist then clips in. When putting the child in, its easy the strap don't twist round and round and round making a tangle with this design. Taking the child out is even better, click the button and they all fly apart and you just pick them up and go.

The bad.

The ease of movement you find on initial test doesn't last long, the split bar of the handles makes life a little harder when walking a distance, you cant use one hand safely whilst opening a pack of organic crisps it will suddenly veer off as you just don't have the leverage that a single bar has.

The seat part is all fabric and holds in place by two long pieces folding over the frame and press studs hold in place. The action of placing the car seat in the pram caused the press stud cover to come off, leaving a serrated piece of metal exposed. We exchanged it.

Now on the same side around the stud the fabric has split as the fabric surrounding is not properly re-enforced to hold the studs. Again caused by the placement of the car seat in and out, something you will do a lot in the first months.

The "cosy toes". This requires a seat part be put in position, the only thing holding this in is a strip of velco. This is the most annoying thing about the pram now our child is one. This ridiculous design wont stay in place for use to put the child in the pram and slides out of position. Many a time it takes two people to lock in a squirming child with a lot of effort for both.

I would not buy this model again. I would look for something similar with a single bar for steering, check the assembly so that nothing is touching the placement of the car seat in the pram to be damaged.

Professional JavaScript for Web Developers (Wrox Professional Guides)
Professional JavaScript for Web Developers (Wrox Professional Guides)
by Nicholas C. Zakas
Price: 22.03

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice to dip into, 19 Nov 2007
If you have been doing javascript for a while and came across all these ajax libraries using odd techniques like "prototype". For the developer who swept OO javascript under the carpet a while ago (me), this book helps you pull the rug off and dust down all those ideas about "OO in a script langauge?" and get to grips with it fast as when you start doing more and more ajax or silverlight those techniques are key to creating javascript components instead of relying on "functional" style programming.

Its no beginners book and its no reference manual, I won't say I've read it cover to cover (I skipped sections explaining OO, I know what it is I just chose to limit it to c#).

Well worth a look.

Ajax in Action
Ajax in Action
by Dave Crane
Price: 20.93

1.0 out of 5 stars Hate this book, 19 Nov 2007
This review is from: Ajax in Action (Paperback)
I really can't think of a good thing to say about this book, just wish I had not bothered buying it.

Silverlight 1.0 Unleashed
Silverlight 1.0 Unleashed
by Adam Nathan
Price: 23.75

3.0 out of 5 stars Beginner's Guide, 19 Nov 2007
What is this book ? It is a great introduction for the absolute beginner at Silverlight to get to grips with the core concepts and begin to craft their first Silverlight applications. It has an impressive layout that is easy to follow, colour coded examples as per Vis Studio. It has call-outs with Tips and Digging Deeper items that enhance the core content.

If you have not touched Silverlight and perhaps are mobidly afraid of Javascript, click that Buy Now button.

Beginners can stop reading now.

For me the name "Unleashed" conjoured up a specific type of book, and this was not it. Detailed descriptions of XAML, Programming patterns for Javascript, best practice guides. Nope, nope and nope, none of these, a great book for the beginner but hardly "unleashed". The Synopsis promises an in depth guide and doesn't measure up to my expectations.

Adam Nathan is a great Author for introducing these technologies, but those of us with the ability to use blend, read the code in the SDK and produce our own Silverlight need something more. But Saying all that I learnt three new things from this book (ths tips and digging deeper sections!), so not a total loss for me.

SAP NetWeaver/Microsoft .NET Interoperability
SAP NetWeaver/Microsoft .NET Interoperability
by A. Rohr
Price: 47.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book to have, 19 Jun 2007
If like me your from a Microsoft background, you may find the SAP world a little hard to penetrate, so having everything in this neat little package is excellent.

This book covers every interop that I could try or think of, .NET connectors, web services, XMLA and lots more that I have not tried yet, Biztalk, XI. In addition to the raw connectivity aspect this book covers some other key topics such as SSO and identity management.

I have also recommended this book to our strategy people, not just developers, as it has enough of an overview to help anyone understand what technology is connecting to what and allow them to see the possibilities of interop.

If your going to plug SAP into .NET whether it be Duet, Sharepoint or a custom application then get this book it will save a lot of searching.