Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Parade's End
by Ford Madox Ford
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars A Book I Found Intriguing and Still do, 20 Mar 2013
This review is from: Parade's End (Paperback)
I'd never heard of Ford Maddox Ford when I commenced this book and didn't know the adaptation was new to TV. It is not an easy read (a long haul) but I really loved it. Even still after I have finished the book, I keep thinking about it.

There are some magnificent scenes in the book and some extremely interesting characters. Sylvia Tietjeins is one of the most magnificent characters I've read. There are fanstastic scenes where she just commands the attention of the others in the book and she dominates all the scenes she is in. I can appreciate why the TV series made her the central character - I would have done the same thing. In contrast, Mark Tietjens (the main character Christopher's half-brother) is almost the complete opposite of Sylvia and they act as 'book-ends' to the romance between Christopher and Valentine.

I can certainly see myself re-reading it. Wonderful book.

Love in a Cold Climate - The Complete Series [DVD] [1980]
Love in a Cold Climate - The Complete Series [DVD] [1980]
Dvd ~ Judi Dench
Price: 7.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The best adaptation, 18 Jan 2013
I first saw this production many years ago, probably when it was first released. It is still the best with the actors/actresses in each of the roles capturing the characters and spirit of the times superbly. Don't bother with the more recent production which I couldn't watch for any length of time because it did not measure up to this one. Make sure you buy this version. And dont worry about the quibbles of other reviewers about the quality. Yes it is not laser sharp but the acting and story are so good you don't notice. I didnt even think about the film quality until I read the reviews. It is an older production before more advanced filming technologies were available.

Puccini: Tosca -- La Scala/Muti [DVD]
Puccini: Tosca -- La Scala/Muti [DVD]
Dvd ~ Muti

4.0 out of 5 stars Finest soprano I have seen in the role, 18 Jan 2013
This DVD is worth buying for Maria Guleghina's performance alone. She is splendid thoughtout but her performance in Act2 is mesmerising with the set complementing her performance. Scarpia is very good as well and had the entire video contained just these two I would have given this DVD 5 stars. There is a good chemistry between these two. My reduction of one star is due to the tenor who is just not strong in the role and lets down the production. I have to admit that by the end of Act2 I was wondering what Tosca saw in this guy and that she would better off with Scarpia. Not quite the effect Puccini was probably hoping for. Fortunately the tenor in Tosca is not of that great importance so you can kind of ignore this guy and focus on fine performances by Guleghina and the fellow who plays Scarpia.

Children of Light: How Electrification Changed Britain Forever
Children of Light: How Electrification Changed Britain Forever
by Gavin Weightman
Price: 22.13

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy read that provides good overview, 9 Mar 2011
I just finished reading this book. I did struggle a little to get into the book at first but then recently bed ridden with a cold I started to power through it (no pun intended). Found it a very enjoyable and interesting read. I think the book could benefit from some pictures or diagrams, particularly in the initial chapters so readers have an idea of how the different technologies being trialled in those years differed from one another. It would help those of us who aren't that familiar with the technology follow the story better. But all said, it is a very interesting introduction into the topic and provides a good starting point for identifying where one might want to read more closely into a particular era or topic.