Profile for Gracie > Reviews

Content by Gracie

Gracie (S.Wales)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Bible Nkjv U/Thin L/P Ref Black T/I (King James Version)
Bible Nkjv U/Thin L/P Ref Black T/I (King James Version)
by Bible
Edition: Leather Bound

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Bible, Bad Printing, 2 Jun 2010
On first inspection, this Bible seemed perfect for my needs. It's slim, indexed to find scriptures quickly and nice leather. However, I'm a perfectionist, (my friends would say a bit OCD) I studied Graphics so the fact that the words of Christ in red aren't lined up correctly bugged the hell out of me, so I gave it away to someone who didn't mind. I saved up for the Pitt Minion, it's smaller but stunning quality!

If you don't mind the print errors, buy it- it's a nice, lightweight leather NKJV bible; if you do, steer clear!

NAVES COMPLETE WORD STUDY TOPICAL BIBLE
NAVES COMPLETE WORD STUDY TOPICAL BIBLE
by NAVE ORVILLE

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Topical Bible on Market, 2 Jun 2010
My friend saw the 'Subject Bible' advertised and fancied it, but it was VERY expensive $150 (plus p&p)! So I searched to see if I could find anything similar within my budget for her birthday. Found this one and was very pleased, it has all the bible scriptures arranged by topic, most of which are printed in full, so that for the most part you don't have to refer back to your other bibles to read the scripture.

The subject Bible has the full bible attached, but appart from that this is more or less the same thing, and my friend loved it.

Only negative is that it's only available in KJV.

Ionic Pet Grooming Brush
Ionic Pet Grooming Brush
Offered by 5 STAR SHOP UK

5.0 out of 5 stars It Works!, 2 Jun 2010
This review is from: Ionic Pet Grooming Brush (Home)
Fantastic! I have to admit I didn't think it would work, but with a dog who loves to roll in the grass (and anything else that happens to be in it) I couldn't keep washing her, bless. So in desperation I thought I'd give this a go. IT WORKS! It gets rid of the smell and her coat looks glossy.

A plus point is that she actually likes it. I sometimes keep the brush still while the dog moves herself into it ;) A bit of a massage I think! I brush her first to get knots and mud etc out and then ionise.

It's now a standing joke in my house when my family come in they say 'ooh, you've been ionised!'

Morphy Richards 73282 Bagless Upright Vacuum Cleaner
Morphy Richards 73282 Bagless Upright Vacuum Cleaner

4.0 out of 5 stars Great cleaner, light, but noisy!, 1 Jun 2010
I needed a new cleaner that could cope with dog hairs, and it had to be light. I did a lot of research and eventually settled on this because it was in the sale, and had 4.5 stars on the Argos site.

On opening the box,there was a very strong chemical smell, so if you're susceptible it may affect you, though we chucked all the packaging outside and it wore off quickly. The vacuum was easy to assemble, one possi screw, but the rest just clipped easily together, and it is light. It's a bit plasticky, but then that's why it's lightweight but you don't get the feeling it's going to fall apart.

I set to work on the living room, I tapped the button on the base and it sounded like a jet engine - I thought I was about to take off! Needn't have worried though, as the suction is such that it kept me grounded. I had to turn the dial down to 'deep pile' because it was sucking the carpet up as well as the dog hairs. The carpet has a new lease of life, with very little effort.

Next the stairs. I had a bit of a fiddle, but eventually found a red switch under the hose grip to release the pipe and attach the turbo brush. I turned the dial to the tool setting and it sounded like an air raid siren was going off - seriously! But that said, it worked wonders on my stairs, great suction and the rotating brush made easy work of the black dog hairs. The hose is long too, and pretty much does the stairs.

This hoover is great for pet hairs, and unlike some cleaners the tools work brilliantly, with no noticeable loss of suction. It is as good as any dyson and a fraction of the price. The only downside is that it is the noisiest hoover I have ever heard and for that reason alone I knocked off one star. If you're on a budget and need a good hoover but don't mind the noise, then buy with confidence.

Pupcakes: 35 Delicious and Healthy Bakes for Dogs
Pupcakes: 35 Delicious and Healthy Bakes for Dogs
by Stephanie Mehanna

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just Cakes!, 28 Dec 2009
My sister bought me this book for Christmas, she knows I love to cook and that my pup much prefers to eat my food than her own! Mind you it is nice to have someone to show such appreciation for my cooking ;) I have made some biscuits and she loved them but this book is so much more than is implied by the title. There are biscuits, cakes and treats, but also recipes for foods that can be fed as a whole meal or added to dry food to make it more appetising. Many have quirky names like Magic Muttballs, a poultry meatball treats that can be frozen, Marvelous Muttloaf and anything but plain ol' Chicken soup, which can be eaten as a meal in itself or to moisten a dry meal, it even has a box-er (carob) chocolates!

The introduction gives information about foods to avoid giving your dog, like onions, raisins, chocolate, which I'm always surprised to find fellow dog owners don't know! My only criticism is
a) the lack of warning about dairy products, my breeder was very firm in her instructions that you must never give a dog milk or dairy products (dogs cannot digest lactose), and then
b) the preponderance of the use of cheese in her recipes which, because dogs can't digest lactose gives my dog the runs. (She found a cheese sandwich once on a walk, and ate half of it before we could get it off her ;( ) You can now buy lactose-free cheese so if I try these I will use that, if you can't afford lactofree, there are certain cheeses that are naturally low lactose, especially goat and sheep products, but she doesn't explain this or specify.
That said, it is a wonderful collection of recipes that offer a great variety that will be sure to offer lots to even the most discerning pooch!

My lil' sis was chuffed with herself for finding this book and I think my dog will be too...

Bible: New King James Version
Bible: New King James Version
by Stephen Johnston
Edition: Audio CD

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad, 28 Dec 2009
This is the Word of God so it's good to hear, but after a while the music in the background and his voice starts to drone on a bit, so I find it hard to listen to for long. Some people might find it perfectly Ok and it's head-and-shoulders better than the NIV, both in quality of translation and the way it's read, but I've recently bought The Word of Promise which is fantastic and I would highly recommend you get that instead. But if you want just the word read then I recommend Nelson's NKJV Voice Only Audio Bible read by Bob Souer, which I find is also easy to listen to.

NKJV THE WORD OF PROMISE MP3 AUDIO BIBLE (Bible Nkjv)
NKJV THE WORD OF PROMISE MP3 AUDIO BIBLE (Bible Nkjv)
by Thomas Nelson
Edition: MP3 CD

5.0 out of 5 stars The Word Brought To Life, 28 Dec 2009
This is fantastic, it's a professional production of the Bible. I have another version which is just read by one guy, and I can't listen to it for long as he seems to drone on after a while. But this has top actors voicing the many parts: Jim Caviezel as Jesus, Richard Dreyfus as Moses, Gary Sinise as David, and many more, so it comes to life, especially with some quaint sound effects like a radio play, which I understand is the idea.

It uses the NKJV, which is a quality translation and this MP3 version is very reasonable, especially as I got it for nearly half price. One feature I loved when I put it onto my computer was that each book is individually labelled, which granted takes up most of my iTunes list, but makes it very easy to find scriptures.

Because it is dramatised it is about 25% longer than other audio versions, but I put it on whilst I was doing my Christmas baking and it was fantastic, and I listened to loads more than I would have on my droning version! Plus I found that the slower presentation actually helped to take in what I was listening to.

As an MP3 it only takes up about 12 CDs so it was quick to download, and it comes in a sturdy metal case which zips around. This was my Christmas present to myself, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. If you want to read the Bible from cover to cover but seem to fail half way through then this will really help. Thoroughly recommended. But if you're unsure you can download free sample books on iTunes and the official website to see if you would like it.

NKJV Pitt Minion Reference Edition NK443:XR black French Morocco leather
NKJV Pitt Minion Reference Edition NK443:XR black French Morocco leather
by Cambridge University Press
Edition: Leather Bound

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality but small, 28 Dec 2009
I do like this Bible. It oozes quality, but it's slightly smaller than I expected, which seems to be what everybody says. That said it sits in my hand to read and is ideal for church and carrying around. (I'd have dropped half a point for that, but I think this Bible is worth more more than 4 stars, and probably 5 regardless.)

I have no problem with small print, so it's fine. If you're like me and small print is fine then this is a gorgeous Bible to take around, will fit easily into a handbag and most jacket pockets.

It has a good number of references down the centre or at the bottom of the text, and an excellent concordance for its size too. Plus a large number of colour maps with indexing as well, which surprised me, though personally I would have prefered a bigger concordance. The pages feel like silk in your hand, the quality Smithsewn binding allows the Bible to open flat.It has everything you could need or want in a Bible and is compact.

The only thing I would say, is that the leather is extremely stiff. Sometimes this is a plus. It protects the bible (along with the well designed hinged box it comes in) and the firmness allows the Bible to sit in your hand and be read. However, when you come to search through the Bible you have to make sure the pages are separate from the cover, which is easy to do. If you want soft leather you'll need the goatskin.

The Pitt Minion Series is excellent, and i really wish they did the Study Bible as well.

Thomas Nelson do a signature range, which is their high quality range. The first lot had to be redesigned because (like my Thomas Nelson Study Bibles) they fell apart with use, what the new ones are like I don't know, but the NKJV is the most accurate and readable translation and for me, the Pitt Minion range are the best there is, I've had it over a year and it's still like new, by now all my Thomas Nelsons had fallen apart.

I'm saving up for the goatskin wide margin, which will allow me to make study notes, and be an everyday bible.

Easy Slow Cooker Cookbook
Easy Slow Cooker Cookbook
by Barbara C. Jones

1.0 out of 5 stars American Rubbish, 28 Dec 2009
Firstly, this book has a cheap plastic spiral spine, and the pages inside are just as cheaply reproduced, so it's vastly overpriced.

Secondly, the recipes are American. The measurements are in cups, though granted some recipes have been converted, and there are no lamb recipes because the American's rarely eat it. Plus, the food they eat is very different to here in the UK. The recipes also use lots of 'cheat' ingredients like tinned or packet soups, some of which I've never heard of. I think the fact that they think that long grain rice, chicken breasts, a jar of garlic cheese sauce and green beans combine to produce a "Classy Chicken Dinner" pg 155 sums up the standard of this book.

Thirdly, the author assumes that you are familiar with slow-cooking, so if like me you are a novice, it gives no guidance on how to best utilise a slowcooker nor how to adapt recipes for its use. (And in case you were wondering - neither does my Breville slowcooker handbook!)

Finally, it contains lots of recipes that only take 2-4 hours, hardly what I consider to be slow cooking, and completely useless if you want to put something in to cook whilst you're out at work all day.

Not impressed.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 6, 2010 9:47 AM GMT

The Nkjv Exhaustive Concordance
The Nkjv Exhaustive Concordance
by Thomas Nelson Publishers

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Reference Tool,, 13 Dec 2009
Sadly, the NKJV concordance is no longer in print. I wrote to Nelson, who said they have no plans to produce another or reprint this version, so New King James users are forced to settle for the 'generic' KJV Strongs, which is highly unsatisfactory. Thank goodness I managed to find this second hand in America, luckily in excellent condition.

Clearly printed, and an exhaustive concordance specific to the NKJV Bible it is an essential study tool for any serious Bible student. It is a shame that Strong's reference numbers haven't been used, and it does lack a dictionary and lexicon so familiar in the Strong's version, but those things are available separately in far more detail so I only deducted 1 star for that!

Some reviewers in America have said that the spine is weak, but I'm careful and have had no problems thus far.

How there can be no concordance for such a popular version of the Bible I don't understand, hopefully Strong's will see the need and Nelson will give permission, but until then, this is a must!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5