Profile for Snufkin > Reviews

Snufkin

Royals
Royals

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the original, 30 Mar 2014
This review is from: Royals (MP3 Download)
Great singing here, but also this arrangement is just better- I loved the live performance and needed to have more!

Country Houses in Edwardian Cheshire (Landmark Collectors Library)
Country Houses in Edwardian Cheshire (Landmark Collectors Library)
by Fletcher Moss

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming, 19 Nov 2013
At the turn of the 20th Century Fletcher Moss and his photographer friend James Watts rambled about Cheshire by train and bicycle, taking photos of old country houses, a number of which must now be long gone. Fletcher Moss wrote up notes to accompany the photos with a gentle and dry sense of humour, which originally filled six volumes. This book brings the photos and edited notes together. It's a charming book, which doesn't deserve its apparent anonymity (going from lack of Amazon reviews) and will please anyone who with a soft spot for old buildings and historical anecdotes about their often unusual owners. His account of their visit to Gawsworth Rectory and the unfriendly rector had me in stitches. Recommended

Hidden Seam
Hidden Seam

5.0 out of 5 stars A landmark album, 8 Oct 2013
This review is from: Hidden Seam (Audio CD)
I don't know how I can have managed not to have heard of Lisa Knapp before this summer. It's rare that I hear a tune on the radio that makes me want to stop and listen, but that was the effect of 'Two Ravens'. Many, many listens later I still find this song wonderful and mesmerising. And that is a fair description of this whole album. Yes, distinctly 'folk', but this is original, pure and modern music which really defies categorisation. In some ways I'm reminded of mid period Kate Bush - that sense of invention, and great care over each moment, and yet delivered so naturally and seemingly effortlessly. I thought of one person with great taste in music who I knew would love this. I proudly sent a link 'think you might like this', to which he promptly responded - 'yes I do, love the first album too'. I confess, once I'd heard Two Ravens, I had to have this album as soon as possible - so ordered from the publisher (with signed copy to boot) and not from Amazon as it wasn't listed then. I'm here writing this now because there is no way this album can be allowed to remain a secret amongst musos - no reviews? - wake up people and buy it! - truly something special. Can't wait to hear the first album!

Self-Preserved While The Bodies Float
Self-Preserved While The Bodies Float

5.0 out of 5 stars Favourite album in years, 6 Jan 2011
Oceansize were new to me with this album, a friend posted a Spotify taster and I was instantly seduced. I've taken my eye off the ball lately with music and was beginning to give up on finding anything seriously new or stimulating ... but then THIS.. Weeks on from my first listen and I'm still playing this everyday almost - it's been years since I felt like this about an album, with that rush of excitement. Current favourite track for me -Build us a rocket then... what a rush! (and yes, even better live). Those first three tracks really do power through like a train. They are genre defying - I've read some comparisons, but these only really pick up on the sound - the real beauty of Oceansize is the strength of the songs, ie pure compositional depth, pushing at the most interesting boundaries with fresh ideas. At this level I just don't see anyone else around to compare them with... If Oceansize's next album can make even half as much progress in the next album then surely there is no way they can continue to escape the attentions of the masses. Prepare for global fame and riches guys.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 26, 2011 1:00 PM GMT