Profile for M. J. Horsfield > Reviews

Content by M. J. Horsfield

M. J. Horsfield (UK)

Garmin Forerunner 305 Wrist-Worn GPS Personal Training Device with Heart Rate Monitor (discontinued by manufacturer)
Offered by AVOCADO DEALS

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 25 Sep 2007
This is an amazing device. I thought I would add the following to previous reviews.

Answers to the questions I couldn't sort out before purchase (as a triathlete):
1. Can you swim with it? Sadly not. Although certified as waterproof it is not sufficiently watertight to swim with.

2. Can you download routes FROM memory map TO the device i.e. brand new runs/bikes planned at home on the map? YES - but you need to upgrade memory map 2004 software to the USB supporting version via their website. The device will then guide you around the planned course.

Added suggestions:

Everyone should check out SportTracks software (shareware - zonefive) which is vastly superior to the Garmin packaged applet. SportTracks integrates with google earth and automatically generates satellite images of your route.

The pre-loaded advanced training packages are good for turbo sessions. Obviously the GPS is useless but the watch will monitor your heart rate & cadence (with attachment) and instruct you through a pre-set or custom pre-programmed workout e.g. Cycle in zone 3 for 5 mins; Cycle in zone 4 for 2 mins etc.

Other bonuses over my old GPS and heart rate monitors:
It charges via USB while connected to the computer.
It has a coded heart rate belt - no cross-talk in the gym.
It has excellent GPS reception in the woods (much superior to my Geko 301).

All in all: For £150 a bargain. It has virtually replaced my old HRM and my GPS.

Downsides? £150 is still a lot. The large unit might put you off. It looks a bit retro. Can't swim in it. I now *know* that I run as slowly as I thought!
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 3, 2010 3:42 PM GMT

Swinging The Blues, Dancing The Ska
Swinging The Blues, Dancing The Ska

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent, 24 Feb 2007
I have had this disc for 6 months or so. I have never written a review before but this disc demands it. I have a huge music collection and this energetic album is a real outstanding jewel. Every track is bursting with energy & tempo, huge big-band sounds and well mastered. For any fan of piano led blues and jazz this album is an absolute peach.