Profile for V. Strohmaier > Reviews

Content by V. Strohmaier

V. Strohmaier (Devon)

Quiz Party (Nintendo Wii)
Quiz Party (Nintendo Wii)
Offered by Game Trade Online

1.0 out of 5 stars There is better out there (and Buzz is far superior), 1 Sep 2012
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
Purchased 'Quiz Party' just a couple of days ago and it certainly has not lived up to my expectations! There's not so much 'party' as it is very slow-paced - definitely not for those who like quick fire quiz games. There was less time spent on questions and more on score updates, selecting 'stickers' and the characters coming & going from screen. We played a 'flash' game (short 15 min version) and saw no more than 12 questions in that time! It reminded me of trivial pursuit in that each team has to answer questions in 5 categories to collect a 'sticker' and the winner is the first to collect all 5. But it works out that if all questions are answered correctly its usually the team that goes first that wins! (it doesn't finish the round that's already started). We even got some repeat questions in the short time!

Another issue I have is that only 1 controller is used and there isn't even a choice to play with more! So the game dictates who the question is for rather than having the more competitive element of buzzing in. So you are left with either passing the controller around or having an overall quiz master. This brings with it another issue if, like me, you have some people playing who are prone to cheating. With many of the questions you don't actually click on anything, but say the answer then click to get the answer then the game asks "did they get that question correct?" and then somebody either needs to click on 'yes' or 'no'. Cue arguments with family members about whether they actually said the right thing (my husband is quite pedantic) and 'accidental' pressing of wrong buttons.

I will admit to being a fan of buzz, and I still am...this game has only served to reinforce my love of Buzz. If you have played buzz and enjoyed it, this will really disappoint! Overall...don't bother because there has got to be much better quiz games on the market.

Funny Bunnies
Funny Bunnies
by Laurie Frankel

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute chuckles, 14 Aug 2008
This review is from: Funny Bunnies (Paperback)
I absolutely love rabbits and I love this book! It consists mainly of large colour photos of various rabbit breeds. The introduction briefly discusses how rabbits feature in our lives - in stories, events etc and a little about their history and lifestyle. Beyond that there is little reading as the majority of the book features gorgeous colour photos. Each page features a different one and says a little about the breed and what colours it comes in. It also gives a little personal biography of the rabbits in the photos - some have huge ears and some are really hairy. A great coffee-table book for rabbit lovers that will always bring a smile!

A Teaspoon of Courage
A Teaspoon of Courage
by Bradley Trevor Greive

5.0 out of 5 stars Another BTG feelgood!, 14 Aug 2008
This review is from: A Teaspoon of Courage (Hardcover)
As a lover of Bradley Trevor Greive books, I was not surprised to discover that this follows his familiar style and is just as good as all the others!! If you like animals and an easy-to-read for a quick 'pick you up' inspirational text, you'll like this. A teaspoon of courage begins by contemplating why sometimes we struggle and grind to halt and goes on to ponder why we should just go out there and do it and what might happen if we don't! Each page has a fantastic, sometimes comical, animal photo combined with just the right sentence (for example, a photo of a mouse falling headfirst into a glass of wine is annotated with "For many people, it's all a bit too much, and they try to drown their sorrows in cheap wine or fine champagne). You'll be smiling by the end!

When Teaching Becomes Learning: A Theory and Practice of Teaching
When Teaching Becomes Learning: A Theory and Practice of Teaching
by Eric Sotto

4.0 out of 5 stars An insight into learning, 14 Aug 2008
This book was recommended to me, as I am about to embark upon a PGCE. It is one of the most useful books I have come across and I would recommend it to both teachers and teaching assistants in any subject. The book is largely intense text, but does contain a few useful black-and-white diagrams (e.g brain diagrams). It discusses methods of learning in a friendly, easy to understand manner. As a new-comer to teaching, I worried that I may struggle with some of the language or aspects, but I'm finding it a pleasure to read and it draws on familiar analogies, the author's experiences and even animal behaviour to highlight the points. This book highlights that an effective teacher knows not just the subject, but how to teach it in accordance with how learning actually happens. It discusses topics such as the difference between learning and remembering, how learning happens e.g. by active engagement, and argues the methods of teaching.

A Teaspoon of Courage: A Little Book of Encouragement for Whenever You Need It
A Teaspoon of Courage: A Little Book of Encouragement for Whenever You Need It
by Bradley Trevor Greive

5.0 out of 5 stars Same style, brilliant new words of wisdom!, 27 Dec 2007
If, like me, you enjoy BTG's style of combining evoking animal pictures with the perfect caption, you'll love this book. Having bought it during a time when I felt very demotivated in life, this helps to give me the push I need to help me acheive, go somewhere new and not fear the unknown.