Profile for B. Frear > Reviews

Sterling Silver 12 mm Bali Pattern Sleeper Hoop Earrings
Sterling Silver 12 mm Bali Pattern Sleeper Hoop Earrings
Offered by CrasserChoiceGifts

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty and practical, 19 May 2016
Pretty earrings, they are small as others have suggested but in my opinion this is an asset if they are earrings you just want to leave in and forget about. Comfortable and light, won't catch on anything. However the hinged catch mechanisam is difficult to fasten when putting them in and somewhat flimsy. Not sure how long they are going to last, but in the meantime I will enjoy wearing them.

Jamaica Inn [DVD]
Jamaica Inn [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jessica Brown Findlay

5.0 out of 5 stars Mesmerising, 25 April 2014
This review is from: Jamaica Inn [DVD] (DVD)
I read the book a few years ago and so when I heard that the BBC were doing an adaption I was very much looking forward to watching it. I was not disappointed. Yes, there were some changes to the book and, in my view, some changes which were unnecessary. The tone and atmosphere, however, were perfect. I felt that the acting was first class and the setting beautifully bleak, just as I imagined. I will definitely be watching this adaption again and again and not only for Jem's bright eyes.

The Scorpio Races
The Scorpio Races
by Maggie Stiefvater

5.0 out of 5 stars The book I thought I would never find..., 3 Dec. 2011
This review is from: The Scorpio Races (Paperback)
This is the book I thought I would never find... horses and fantasy and set on a wild little island that could be a main character in itself... what more could you want?

The book may be aimed at a young adult audience but, as is often the case, I think it could appeal any age- so don't let the hearts on the cover put you off.

I won't go into details of the plot as the blurb gives a pretty good explanation of what the story is about. I'll just say that the book switches between the first person perspective of Puck Connolly and Sean Kendrick. Stiefvater's writing trips along nicely making it a pleasure to read but to me her words hold something more in 'The Scorpio Races' -her obvious passion for the subject matter oozes from the ink.

In the first chapter Puck says, "She is my mare and my best friend, and I keep waiting for something bad to happen to her, because I love her too much." I read this and something inside me relaxed, oh, I thought, she understands and from here on out Stiefvater seems to hit every point perfectly; the thrill of the gallop and the thunder of hooves, the permanent dirt ingrained into your hands and the smell of hay and horse sweat on your clothes. Her cappaill uisce (water horses) embody the raw power and beauty of the horse and the sea and in turn demand the same respect.

As a lover of both horses and the fantasy genre this book was an absolute pleasure to read. I just hope she decides to continue with this story someday...