Profile for Josephine > Reviews

Content by Josephine

Josephine (Berkshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Cable Heart Knit Pom Pom 2L Hot Water Bottle (Grey)
Cable Heart Knit Pom Pom 2L Hot Water Bottle (Grey)
Offered by Super Utensil Ltd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 19 Feb. 2016
Nice, seems of good quality (both the bottle and the cover). No complaints. One observation though is that it's not as large as my old one but hot water bottles generally seem to be smaller these days for some reason. That said, the cover on this one is a nice snug fit unlike others with more fluffy covers, so don't be deceived by those with more padding but essentially the same size bottle inside.

Care of Wooden Floors
Care of Wooden Floors

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read - brilliant, clever and enjoyably painful!, 14 Feb. 2016
I loved this book and yet it was painful and at times excruciating to read, knowing that our 'dear friend' is going to make all the wrong choices and inevitably make things worse for himself. I wasn't sure at first if I'd get into the story but it soon became apparent that I was going to stick with it to the bitter end. It's very intelligently written and a number of times I so enjoyed witty sentences or phrasing that I found myself re-reading passages with a gleeful smile in an attempt to absorb the author's knack of clever phrasing. I loved the interplay between the two contrasting characters and thought it was brilliantly portrayed despite the absence of one of the main characters who made his presence felt through the notes that he has left everywhere. (And how fun it is to watch the narrator's growing 'weary familiarity' with them as they pop up everywhere - wonderful!) I thoroughly enjoyed this book, but was relieved to get to the end because I could feel myself mirroring the protagonist's growing obsession with stains. If it had gone on much longer I fear I might start to develop Oskar-like compulsions too. My only minor reservation about the story is that a few things felt untidy at the end and I was left wondering what came of them (I won't say what so as not to spoil the story), but nonetheless a great book and definitely a recommended read.

Hycosan Extra
Hycosan Extra
Offered by FirstForContactLenses

3.0 out of 5 stars Good fluid in a terrible pump delivery mechanism, 19 Nov. 2015
This review is from: Hycosan Extra (Misc.)
I was given this by the chemist instead of Lacri-lube (currently out of stock) for night-time. The fluid itself is great - not too thin or thick and it does seem to have a lasting lubrication on my eyes. I really like it. However, the mechanism it's delivered in is terrible. I have no dexterity issues whatsoever, yet on first use I almost slipped whilst trying to pump the thing with one hand and nearly caught my eye with the end of the nozzle. This scared me and for a while I didn't use it again. But, perhaps regular use helps you refine the way you hold it. Out of desperation, I tried it again and have now learnt how to use it a little better, but I feel that you do need to be more careful than with a usual dropper. My main complaint is that sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. I've only had it a few weeks so there's no way it's empty, but some nights when I pick it up, nothing comes out, yet the next night it'll be fine. If you have any repetitive strain issues, this may be a problem - standing in the bathroom desperately pumping the thing in an attempt to get it to work... I am baffled as to why the manufacturer has chosen this delivery mechanism. Overall: great eye fluid, but terrible, terrible packaging/delivery. Those who are elderly or have any dexterity problems may struggle to use this.

Befriend Your Tech: How To End  Technology Overload For Good With A Digital Retreat (Time Management, Stress Free Living, Personal Success)
Befriend Your Tech: How To End Technology Overload For Good With A Digital Retreat (Time Management, Stress Free Living, Personal Success)

3.0 out of 5 stars An opinion rather than an authority, 22 Sept. 2015
Lately I've become interested in the idea of deliberately disconnecting from the world occasionally to see if it helps ease the feelings of overwhelm and constant bombardment from all the 'stuff' that it seems I need to know about. However, I've realised that it's easier said than done, so I wondered if this book might have further insights on how to go about it and perhaps some motivating information on how tech/being constantly connected affects us. I think James has good motives and is trying to do exactly this, but I was left with the feeling that this book is rather like decaffeinated coffee. Something was lacking but it took me a while to put my finger on what. It's a short read, which is good (and therefore the price was low risk), but more than once I'd read a page on my kindle and feel that it was an entire page making the same point. Perhaps this is indicative of his passion to emphasise a point and ensure the message is across, but I felt it could easily be cut down and lose nothing. (It could also do with a proofread.) I also didn't get the sense of an authority talking to me. There were no hard facts and it came across very much as an opinion - 'this is what I think you should do'. I disagree with the suggestion of starting with a 24-hour detox and then later adding shorter daily periods such as half hour stretches at a regular time when you're offline. I would find it much easier to do this the other way around - start with shorter periods and gradually grow them. And that is merely my opinion, equally with no facts. I'd have loved more detail on what effects being uber-connected (or not) has on the brain or body or whatever - in fact I found something more about this in a blog post elsewhere. But in fairness, perhaps that was never his intent and could be just that I'd misinterpreted what the book would cover. So overall - happy that I read it and even happier that I didn't need to spend more time reading it. A good effort at something we would perhaps benefit from thinking about more, but for me this could have been a blog post(s) in terms of content.

'DrinkPod' Stainless Steel Vacuum Flask White
'DrinkPod' Stainless Steel Vacuum Flask White
Offered by home_essentials

2.0 out of 5 stars Scratched and poor finish, 2 Mar. 2013
Perfect size but arrived in a grimy perspex box and even through this I immediately saw marks on the white flask and a blotchy, uneven finish around the top of the body. Even with the lid on, the uneven top of the white enamel was visible. I hoped that some of the marks on the body might just be dirt (which still wouldn't be impressive in a new item), but they weren't - the surface was actually damaged and you could feel the grazes. They weren't big marks, but after careful wiping of the outside I still counted 8 separate grazes, which to me isn't acceptable in a brand new item. In fairness, I'm sure the flask would still work fine, so perhaps the stainless steel version will fare better as there's less to damage(?).

Another reviewer commented that the white version looked as though it was made by Apple, which sounded good. However, my particular flask looked more like a £4 job that you'd find in an odds and ends shop that hasn't been cleared out in 30 years. Disappointed. It's the first item I've ever returned to Amazon.

Dreamland Intelliheat Heated Fleecy Double Dual Mattress Protector
Dreamland Intelliheat Heated Fleecy Double Dual Mattress Protector

5.0 out of 5 stars Successful gift, 28 Jan. 2013
I bought this for my father for Christmas. He hadn't asked for one and it was bit of a risky idea as I fully expected him to not want the fuss of changing something that was 'fine'. However, he was using an ancient electric blanket and I had started to worry about how safe it was after reading about the risks of old electric blankets that haven't been tested. I did quite a lot of reading up on reviews here on Amazon and elsewhere and, with some trepidation, decided to get this one. While the rest of the world was lounging around eating mince pies on Boxing day, I was stripping Dad's bed and fitting this... Actually, it was very easy to fit so my chores were short-lived. I had noted some comments about the material that goes around the mattress not being that strong, so I was careful but it didn't seem at great risk of tearing etc. I hadn't fully appreciated that it requires two electrical sockets, one for each side, but this was ok as Dad is only using one side anyway (the reason for wanting dual controls so he won't waste energy heating the other side).

To cut a long story short, Dad has now been using it for over a month and he frequently says how delighted he is with it. Unprompted! He says that he almost finds himself looking forward to bedtime as it's so nice and warm. He particularly likes the fact that it heats up so quickly - his previous one had to be turned on 20 mins before he went up to bed, but now he just forgets about it until he's up there. He turns it on, cleans his teeth and hey presto, it's ready. He likes the idea that if it gets very cold he can also use a lower setting and leave it on all night, although I don't think he's used that yet.

Dad also has poor circulation in his legs and complains of cold feet. While this doesn't change that, he does think it gives better heat coverage than his older one, so I interpret this to mean that it doesn't leave tons of space around the edge/bottom of the bed unheated.

So now I'm feeling pretty happy that my risky Christmas present was a surprise hit! Brownie points all around...

Jessie Steele Bias Carmen Apron Bib, Black and White
Jessie Steele Bias Carmen Apron Bib, Black and White

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice shape, 24 Dec. 2012
This is a really nice apron and the bias cut gives it a nice, feminine shape - fits a UK size 10 fine and I imagine larger would be ok too. Really pleased with it.

11.22.63
11.22.63

5.0 out of 5 stars My first S King novel, 24 Dec. 2012
This review is from: 11.22.63 (Kindle Edition)
I tried this after reading Stephen King's book about the craft of writing (called 'On writing'), which I found fascinating and insightful. After reading his advice and learning how he approaches writing, I wanted to see what the end result was. The only reason I've never read any of his fiction before is that I can't read horror. (OK I admit it, I'm a big wuss with an over-active imagination and have to sleep with the light on for nights if I read anything remotely sinister...pathetic isn't it?!) Anyway, I was delighted to find that he'd just published a new 'non-horror' novel. And it was about time travel.

I finished reading this book a few weeks ago now, so should have written this sooner. I was gripped by it so it certainly ticked the 'page-turner' box. I didn't find it gripped me from the first page, but that's nit-picking really. Once we got to the 'portal' into the past, I was hooked. However, I kept watching the % indicator telling me how far I was through the book (I read it on Kindle) and was constantly perplexed that it seemed to move so slowly - I often felt it should be further through then indicated. I kept wondering how much more there could be to the story...how could I only be 25% through when so much had already happened...? I suppose overall I felt it was a bit long - I'm used to reading shorter books than this. Halfway through reading it, I went into a book store merely to look at a hard copy out of sheer curiosity to see how big the thing was! But other than that I thought it was a decent read, entertaining, gripping, imaginative. If he does more non-spooky writing, I'll likely read it.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 2, 2013 10:25 AM GMT

Yaktrax Pro Traction Device Medium
Yaktrax Pro Traction Device Medium
Offered by Graham Tiso Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent grip, 5 Feb. 2012
I bought these months ago so that I'd have them ready if we ended up with yet another snowy winter. Today I had my first opportunity to try them out and am delighted to report that they're as good as I'd hoped. I walked into town through snow and slush with no problems. While others walked tentatively, I was able to stride at a good pace (I may have even been showing off slightly...). I was most worried that they might be lethal in shops on shiny and wet floors, so was careful at first to see how it felt, but they were fine. I wandered in several stores and all around a supermarket - there was just one moment where one foot slipped slightly in Waitrose, so do bear in mind that they're most secure outdoors but still ok. I'm really pleased. Make sure you get the right size (I read quite a few of the other reviews for advice on this and also looked at the Yaktrax website itself before ordering here). I'm a UK size 5.5 usually, but bought medium ones for use with my clodhopping hefty winter boots. If I wanted to use them with my trainers, I'd need to get a second pair in the smaller size, so think first about what footwear you're most likely to use them with before choosing size. I'm also glad I choose the Pro version with the strap over the top as it feels very securely in place and avoids any worry about them falling off.

Well recommended.

Song Inside My Head,...
Song Inside My Head,...

5.0 out of 5 stars Has become one of my favs, 14 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Song Inside My Head,... (Audio CD)
Excellent, I love this album and have OD'd on it in the car on and off for the past 18 months that I've had it. First bought it after hearing 'Release me', which is still my favourite track, but I like most of the others too (there's perhaps one or two tracks that i may skip sometimes). I don't understand how they aren't more well-known in the UK.

Page: 1 | 2