Profile for S Banks > Reviews

S Banks (U K)

Pure Highway External Aerial
Pure Highway External Aerial

5.0 out of 5 stars A good purchase, 26 April 2014
I needed a car aerial for an old Pure Highway in-car DAB radio. This was a little more expensive than a non-branded equivalent, but I think it was worth paying extra. It works well in my car, but I haven't yet tried it on a long journey, moving through areas with poor reception.

Kurt Vonnegut: Novels & Stories 1963-1973 (Library of America)
Kurt Vonnegut: Novels & Stories 1963-1973 (Library of America)
by Kurt, Jr. Vonnegut
Price: 21.11

5.0 out of 5 stars The Genius of Vonnegut, 20 May 2013
If you only ever buy one book of Vonnegut fiction, this has to be it. This is Vonnegut at his peak. For less than the price of four paperbacks, you get in a hard cover Cat's Cradle, God Bless You Mr Rosewater, Slaughterhouse-Five, Breakfast of Champions, two short stories and some excellent appendices and notes. It's 850 pages long, but it is not large or heavy, so don't be put off.

Black & Decker EPC18CA 18V NiCd Cordless Drill/Driver
Black & Decker EPC18CA 18V NiCd Cordless Drill/Driver
Price: 39.99

3.0 out of 5 stars A reasonable DIY purchase, 18 May 2013
I bought a Black & Decker EPC18 drill/screwdriver because I have since 2005 had a Black & Decker GTC 610 hedge trimmer and both the 18v batteries for the hedge trimmer have packed up. Rechargeable batteries are always disappointing, in my experience. It doesn't seem to matter what kind they are or what brand; I'm lucky to get four years' use out of them.

I had a difficult choice: throw away a perfectly good hedge trimmer or buy a new battery for it. A new battery would cost me 30, but a drill with a battery is only 10 more. Even though I don't need another drill, I bought one anyway. This is what I discovered:

1. First, the good news. Even though the 2013 battery has only two terminals and no heat fuse (unlike the 2005 and 2006 batteries), it fits the hedge trimmer and is a good replacement battery for it. The same battery will have to serve both tools, but that's not a big problem as I wouldn't want to use a hedge trimmer and a drill at the same time.

2. Now, the surprise. To charge the battery for the drill, you fit the battery to the drill and plug the charger into a socket at the back of the drill. The instructions are very poor; Figure D, which is meant to show how to charge the battery using the charger plug, shows the charger plug in the wrong place, which could mislead anyone who relies on printed instructions. I had expected the drill to come with a charger receptacle, like my hedge trimmer, so you can charge one battery while using a second battery on the tool. You can't do that here. There may be two different models, an EPC18CA that you charge from a charger plug and an EPC18CAB that you charge from a charger receptacle. Watch out, if this matters to you.

3. Turning to the drill itself. Well, it's Chinese built and looks better in a photo than it does in the flesh. It's very plasticky. I haven't put it to the test with a long or heavy job, but it seems to work perfectly well with the double screwdriver bit provided. It doesn't seem good value at 40. I would not have chosen to pay 40 for it if I hadn't needed the battery.

4. The battery is disproportionately large and heavy for quite a small drill. It doesn't seem well balanced in the hand. But there may be benefits from high voltage and a big battery.

Although Amazon advertise this as having a 1.2Ah battery, the specification on p.10 of the manual says it's a NiCd battery of 1.0 Ah. It says the same thing on the supplied A18E battery. The A18NH battery (not supplied) is said to be NiMH and 1.5 Ah

Komputerbay 2GB 2X 1GB DDR2 800MHz PC2-6300 PC2-6400 DDR2 800 (240 PIN) DIMM Desktop Memory
Offered by KOMPBAY
Price: 17.99

5.0 out of 5 stars It was fine, 4 Jan 2013
I wanted some memory for my computer. I found out that Komputerbay sold what I wanted, so I ordered it from them through Amazon. It duly arrived and I installed it. Everything was fine.