Profile for P. C. Carwardine > Reviews

Content by P. C. Carwardine

P. C. Carwardine "Paul C" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
iGadgitz Genuine Leather Flip Case Cover for Sony Walkman NWZ-E473 NWZ-E474 NWZ-E574 NWZ-E575 E Series Video MP3 Player 4gb 8gb 16gb (NWZ-E474B, NWZ-E574B, NWZ-E575B, NWZ-E473K) - Black
Offered by iGadgitz

4.0 out of 5 stars Bit pricey but worth it., 27 Jun 2014
When I bought my wife a Walkman a couple of years ago I was surprised to find no protective cases appeared to be available.
So I was delighted to find the iGadgitz case on offer when I bought myself a Walkman and purchased two.
For what it is I would say it is a bit expensive (you can buy a leather 'bum bag' in our local market for about the same) but it is well made and fits the Walkman like the proverbial glove. It surfaces are padded which should offer good protection in the event of the MP3 player being dropped.
Only criticism is that you cannot 'store' the ear pieces in the case - had there been a little more space under the flap to accommodate these I would have given 5 stars.

Sony NWZE384 8GB Walkman Video MP3 Player - Blue
Sony NWZE384 8GB Walkman Video MP3 Player - Blue

4.0 out of 5 stars Pity about the volume control, 27 Jun 2014
A couple of years ago I bought one of these MP3 players for my wife and decided to treat myself with a similar on. Her's had a button on the side to control volume - but (allegedly) to meet with EU specs this has been removed on the current model. I could find no reference to how to adjust the volume in the brief instructions included - nor in the fuller download version. Purely by trial and error I discovered one had to press the ring shaped control surrounding the central play/pause button 'up' or 'down' to increase or decrease the sound level.
Otherwise - very pleased with my purchase.

Corel PaintShop Pro X6 Ultimate (PC)
Corel PaintShop Pro X6 Ultimate (PC)
Offered by London Photo

4.0 out of 5 stars A good product, 16 Dec 2013
Although most of my camera club friends are fans of Photoshop - I have always found Paintshop better and easier to use with the possible exception of 'raw' processing.

I can't see an awful lot of difference in this version compared with the previous one I had been using (X4 plus) except that it offers 64 bit compatibility with Windows 8.1. Only complaint is that the some of the plug ins included in the previous versions are absent eg Nik software.
One other grouse - not down to Corel - is that the photographic press seems wedded to Photoshop - which means that the various tutorials and 'free bee' discs are often largely irrelevant to Paint shop users.
Overall - a good relatively easy program to use - pity there is no hard copy instruction manual included for 'new' users.

2x BLACK LASER TONER CARTRIDGE FOR LEXMARK E120 E120N Printer
2x BLACK LASER TONER CARTRIDGE FOR LEXMARK E120 E120N Printer
Offered by Printer Ink Cartridges

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, 16 Dec 2013
Bought this after recovering from the shock at the price of the branded product. The proof of the pudding will be how long it lasts eg how many pages it will print. So far so good.
One tip - read the enclosed instructions . I thought I had purchased a dud before I read that I should give the cartridge a good 'shake' before installation.

Pinnacle Studio 17 Plus (PC)
Pinnacle Studio 17 Plus (PC)

1.0 out of 5 stars Improvement = deterioration, 16 Dec 2013
I have been using various versions of Pinnacle Studio since 8 - and I bought 17 plus to replace Pinnacle 15 which I had been using before I experienced compatability problems when I had to buy a new computer with Windows 8.1. after my XP one 'died'.

The first 'shock' was that the user interface is completely different - more akin to Paintshop. I understand that this is the result of Corel's take over of Pinnacle and its attempt to merge their two video editing programs into one.

Gone are the handy drop down menu 's from the tool box eg. picture in picture, video and audio effects etc. Most are there if you search long enough but not as user friendly. There is a plethora of fancy transitions provided but I suspect few serious video makers will ever want to use them.

It appears that you can no longer add music by 'ripping' CD's from the D drive in your computer ( I hold a licence to do this for 'non commercial use'.) I have yet to 'find' the old 'change volume / balance tool ' with its convenient sliders. To do this one has to use 'dials' adjacent to the time line.

Despite two patches that have been provided since the launch there is a major problem in exporting ( make movie on earlier versions) finished videos to DVD. The burning process come to a halt after 50% of the process with an error message popping up, known to Corel as it is recorded on their web site and reported by several users on various forums. It seems only possible to obtain MPEG files rather than a true DVD.

Naturally there is no hard copy of the instruction manual - a 400 page on is available for down load - but it answers few of the questions raised and not very easy to understand unless you are an 'expert' - however there are some useful video tutorials on the Corel website which should be viewed before attempting to use the program.

The 'free' 14 day technical support is limited to installation problems - anything else and one either pays for it or has to trawl through the FAQ's or visit various forums.
Most of the plug ins I purchased with earlier versions of Studio - are now redundant as they are not compatible with 17 plus.

Overall I have found the 'upgrade' from 15 to 17 a nightmare - and unless Corel sort out the problems with export - I shall be looking for an alternative video editing program.

SanDisk Extreme SDHC 32 GB Class 10 Memory Card 45 MB/s (SDSDX-032G-X46)
SanDisk Extreme SDHC 32 GB Class 10 Memory Card 45 MB/s (SDSDX-032G-X46)
Offered by PicStop

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent price and user friendly packaging., 5 Oct 2013
I have always used Sandisk cards since I went digital and they have, so far, been problem free. One has survived capturing several thousand still images- perhaps because I always download from the camera rather than removing them to a card reader.
This latest purchase - appart from being at a bargain price - had the bonus of non bullet proof packaging - no scissor and scalpel surgery to open the pack

Hoya 58mm Pro-1 Digital UV Screw in Filter
Hoya 58mm Pro-1 Digital UV Screw in Filter

4.0 out of 5 stars Good price - good product, 5 Oct 2013
Bought this when I purchased my Canon Legria G25 video camera. I always fit a UV filter to all my camera lenses to protect them - a wise precaution as on my camera's first outing I was filming butterflys in a 'tropical' house where the humidity was such that all my gear 'steamed up'. I have used Hoya filters for many years and have found them to be effective and reasonably priced compared with some other makes.

Pinnacle Studio HD Ultimate Collection v15 (PC)
Pinnacle Studio HD Ultimate Collection v15 (PC)

3.0 out of 5 stars I may have wasted my money., 5 Oct 2013
When I purchased my Canon Legria HF G25 I discovered my exisiting Studio 10 ultimate program was not compatible with HD video. I also found that the latest version of Studio (16) was not compatible with XP. I found that one of Amazon's suppliers still had a version of the discontinued 15 in stock which was XP friendly.
When I loaded the program it failed to recognise my DVD burner. Now here full marks to AVID. I e mailed them at 4pm and by 8pm they had e mailed back with a possible solution and a program to apply it. It did not work. Emailed back and within 4 hours they responded with a complicated procedure and program which did.
BUT - next problem was that the editing procedure kept 'stalling' and the message that my video card was not up to doing the tasks I was demanding of it. A trip to the local PC repairer revealed that not only was card not powerful enough but also the PC's chip. Only good thing was that the repairer refused payment for his diagnosis.
I now await the arrival of a new lap top which specs to meet my needs - but will Pinnacle v15 work with Windows 8 - the platform on the new machine?. If it does I will be relieved and will upgrade v15 to four stars - if it does not I will have learnt an expensive lesson- do a bit more research before you buy.

Duracell Replacement Digital Camera Battery For Canon BP-827 Digital Camera Battery

4.0 out of 5 stars A bargain at the price, 5 Oct 2013
Reluctant to pay the price for the equivalent Canon battery, I purchased this one as a back up for my newly purchased Canon Legria HF G25. Not used it 'in anger' yet but it charged up fine and was accepted by the camera. A friend with the same camera says he has no problems with the Duracell. So far my only compaint was the 'bullet proof ' packaging .

Canon LEGRIA HF G25 Wide Angle High Definition Camcorder (10x Optical Zoom, Image Stabilisation, 32GB Internal Memory and 3.5 inch Touchscreen LCD)

4.0 out of 5 stars One or two minor niggles., 5 Oct 2013
I bought this camera to replace my 10 year old Sony DCR-TVR940 which had developed an apparently common fault from posts on the Sony users forum, namely horizontal grey bars on the recorded image. This was diagnosed by an 'expert' friend as being due to worn out video heads - expensive to repair. He had a G25 and was very pleased with it - claiming results were as good as a 'prosumer' Panasonic costing 5X's as much.
Picture quality is excellent - and of course 'wide screen' as opposed to the old 4x3 format provided by the Sony. The camera is also much lighter (Sony weighed in at c 1Kg) but this of course makes 'camera shake' more likely. Build quality is good and , essential for me, it had a view finder as well as a fold out reversable LCD screen. The facility to use two additional memory cards ( I purchased 2x32GB ones) triples the recording time provided by the 32 GB inbuilt one and also make duplicate recordings. The provided battery seems to drain rather rapidly ( especially when 'playing' with the menu 's ) and takes an age to recharge. However I purchased a larger Duracell compatible battery ( much cheaper than the Canon equivalent) as a back up. Provision of a 'neck' strap as standard would have been nice in view of the cost to the camera - I cannabilised the one off the old Sony rather than pay for an 'optional' extra.
The niggles. No full hard copy instruction manual - have to print your own from the provided disc. No firewire out put and no video input - you cannot use the camera as a DVD recorder - useful for multi channel editing or the 'illegal' grabbing of clips from TV. A personal dislike is the touch screen access to a rather complicated menu . I would have preferred more 'buttons' on the camera to access various features .But not being a smart phone/tablet user this is probably lack of experience of such methodology . The accessory shoe is not standard but I was able to obtain a 'cold' adaptor from Amazon which enabled me to fit my external mic. The provided editing software is pretty basic - OK for the casual user- but it is likely that someone spending this ammount of money would be a more serious user.
And here my problems started when I tried to edit my first efforts - not the fault of the camera but an alert for potential purchasers. I found my version of Pinnacle Studio (12) was not compatible with HD video , nor would it 'capture' from a USB input source ( only from the 'firewire' input). Research showed that the latest version of Pinnacle (16) was not compatible with XP - the platform on my PC. Thanks to Amazon I was able to obtain a version of the discontinued '15' which was from one of their suppliers. However on installation I got a message that my video card was not up to processing HD video. On taking my computer to the local repairer to get a more powerful card fitted he explained , after examining the machine, that the 'chip' in the computer was not up to what I wanted to do and the card would not solve my problem. The only good thing was that he refused to charge me for his time.
So in order to use my new camera in the manner I wish I am going to have to spend a similar amount on a new laptop.
So my final advice to potential purchasers is check that your PC is up to HD editing tasks before you buy - if it is or you are willing to upgrade your PC then on my limited experience of the camera I would say it is a good buy - at a third of the price of my old Sony.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3