Profile for Mr. P. Jones > Reviews

Content by Mr. P. Jones

Mr. P. Jones "Phil Jones" (Neath, UK)

Long Handle Razor Hoe
Long Handle Razor Hoe
Offered by Secret Garden UK
Price: 24.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice tool, 19 Jun 2014
This review is from: Long Handle Razor Hoe (Misc.)
Just taken delivery of this - gave it 15 mins or so on a very weedy patch in the allotment - mainly with mare's tail - this cut the weeds away easily and nicely just below the roots. Going to give this a go on Saturday across the whole plot - hoping to clear most of the weeds from the patch!

Roots
Roots
Offered by kevin26821
Price: 29.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Really nice concept, 5 Jan 2014
This review is from: Roots (Audio CD)
I have this as part of the 'Original Album Series' boxset which actually is better value than buying the album on it's own.

Dusted this down and listened to this first time tonight (partially prompted by Phil's passing). I originally bought the boxset for the 'Two Yanks in London' but Roots is part of the box, so gave it a go.

This is a concept album of contemporary (at the time) recordings interspersed with radio recordings of the Everly family - including early teenage Don and Phil with their mum and dad. Many of the tracks have a Byrdsy country feel. As someone familiar with the 'hits' of the Everlys, the reworking of 'I wonder if I care so much' is interesting. For me, the standout track is 'Living Too Close To The Ground'.

Hearing the Everly family radio stuff on this has inspired me to obtain some of the recordings from that era.

Contigo Aria Autoseal Stainless Steel Mug - 470 ml - Grey/Black
Contigo Aria Autoseal Stainless Steel Mug - 470 ml - Grey/Black
Price: 27.17

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit pricey but impressive, 17 Sep 2013
Was after a flask to carry my coffee for work/on train and keep it cool (for iced) or warm (for regular) whilst not spilling

After a lot of research, this seemed the right one - and a few months on, it is still going strong. Doesn't leak and keeps things at the right temperature for long enough (for me anyway).

The locking is excellent and the release button works nicely.

My one criticism is, the lid is difficult to clean - a film of coffee has sort of made it's way onto the inner workings of it despite being rinsed/washed etc - I've used sterilizing tablets to get over this - this is my only reason for knocking a star off an otherwise excellent product.

Fishers Steel Crown Bell -
Fishers Steel Crown Bell -
Offered by Cyclaire
Price: 6.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Well impressed, 19 Jun 2013
This review is from: Fishers Steel Crown Bell - (Misc.)
Length:: 0:09 Mins

Fitting screws were a little short for my handlebars, but that was easily remedied.

I'm well impressed by this bell - I've been having problems with pedestrians on shared cycle paths not acknowledging the 'ding' of the little bell supplied with my bike - the sound on this is like the old fashioned bells I grew up with - a good solid "Ring-Ring" as opposed to a pathetic little 'ding'.

So impressed, I've now ordered a second one for my wife who has exactly the same issue.

See video to hear sample of ring.

Bike Hand Advanced Home Cycle Mechanic Tool Kit / Box
Bike Hand Advanced Home Cycle Mechanic Tool Kit / Box

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Kit, 1 Jan 2013
Bought this anticipating I'll be needing it after I go on a cycle maintenance course. The fact that it was half price (75) and the tools themselves are well worth that was the biggest selling point.

Tredz delivered fast. The box is nice and solid and hopefully almost every tool I'll need is here. Nice too that there's a bit of room left to store those 'bike bits and pieces' - like allen bolts and nuts which get thrown into packages as spares. Also room for my chain oil and orange degreaser.

As a beginner, my only criticism is the lack of a description/key for each tool (think chocolate boxes here!), but that's so very minor.

SKS 700c Full Length Mudguard Set 45mm
SKS 700c Full Length Mudguard Set 45mm
Price: 18.75 - 27.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Good once fitted, 1 Jan 2013
As some reviews have said, these are faffy to fit, but worth it. They seem pretty solid and are really saving my pannier box, back and feet from muddy spray off the roads. Note to those worried about fitting them, check out videos on the internet, gives a better idea of what's needed - mine needed the stays trimming before fitting, but a dremel tool did the job on that (bolt cutters also work nicely). A friend of mine who used to work in a cycle shop said that fitting mudguards was always one of the worst jobs, so quite happy that I managed that (albeit with a little bit of swearing and anxiety about cutting).

My wife is now considering getting a pair after getting her back sprayed on a ride today (she still has clip-ons), so getting ready to fit a second pair.

Samsung 8GB Compact Flash CF PLUS High Speed memory card
Samsung 8GB Compact Flash CF PLUS High Speed memory card
Price: 57.37

1.0 out of 5 stars Not as fast as it should be, 19 Mar 2011
I use CF cards in my Sony A350 camera. I shoot in RAW, so speed of writing to the cards is important, particularly when shooting continuously.

I'd switched to the Samsung Card as soon as it arrived. Under normal use, the write speed issue is not noticeable, however, when shooting continuously, I noticed a frustratingly long gap between shots as the photos buffered to the card.

Wondering if this was just a perception, I tested it against my Sandisk 8gig card - sure enough there is a marked different. I bought this card from 7dayshop because it was reasonably priced and a good brand (and a good supplier). I won't be buying a Samsung card again.

Generic Mini All-In-1 Memory Card Reader Blue Compatible With: Secure Digital: Minisd (With Adapter), Microsd/Transflash (With Adapter), Compact Flash: Cf I, Cf Ii, Cf Ultra Ii, Microdrive, Xd Picture Cards, Memory Stick: Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, Memory Stick Duo, Multimedia Card: Mmc I, Mmc Ii, Rs-Mmc, Hs-Mmc - Compatible With Sony, Sandisk, Toshiba, Lexar
Offered by Happy Sales UK
Price: 0.30

1.0 out of 5 stars Not very good, 19 Feb 2011
This isn't very well built. The connection between the lead and the card is pretty loose - disconnects happen quite often. If I'd known this, I'd not have bought this and gone for something a bit more reliable.

The Secret of Letting Go
The Secret of Letting Go
by Guy Finley

1.0 out of 5 stars Wordy and frustrating, 16 July 2009
Started to read this with a view to stopping myself worrying over stuff and getting generally dissatisfied with life.
I read through the first chapter and found myself needing to re-read things - seems lots of words are used to illustrate something basic and dropping into other chapters, the book starts banging on about god (I don't really want a religious book).
Bottom line, if it works for you, great, it didn't really fit my bill and I admit, I put it down after the first chapter.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 2, 2010 12:18 PM GMT

The Kinks - The Golden Years [2007] [DVD]
The Kinks - The Golden Years [2007] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kinks

1.0 out of 5 stars Dire, 25 Aug 2007
When I saw "Narrated by Ray Davies", I thought this was going to be an official documentary style DVD. I think I was mistaken!

It's a load of clips (whole songs, admittedly) from the early 80s, culled from TV shows. Interspersed with 'voice of Ray Davies' over montages of the same photographs.

The picture quality of these shows is poor, even given the era. The picture is also cropped badly to accommodate widescreen.

Oh yes, there doesn't seem to be an "Interactive Menu" either, nor is the DVD chaptered.

Glad I rented it & didn't waste any money on it.