Profile for Janetg > Reviews

Mixed-Media Dollhouses
by Tally Oliveau
Price: 14.44

1.0 out of 5 stars This is not a book about Dolls Houses, 12 Mar 2011
This review is from: Mixed-Media Dollhouses (Paperback)
Look very carefully before you buy this book! It is not about Dolls Houses, it is collage - cutting out pictures and gluing them in a box. Nothing to do with miniatures or 1/12th houses, 2D not 3D.

It was bought for me as a present by my husband, who realised as soon as it arrived it was not what he was hoping from the misleading title. Enlarge the photos on the front of the book to see.

If you like collage and cutting out photos from magazines and pasting them in boxes then I am sure this book is fine. But if you are interested in dolls houses or miniatures don't waste your money.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 14, 2011 4:59 PM BST

Pride/Prejudice: A Novel of Mr. Darcy, Elizabeth Bennet, and Their Forbidden Lovers
by Ann Herendeen
Price: 8.82

5.0 out of 5 stars Be aware before you buy, 12 Feb 2010
I cannot really give this a review as I haven't read it yet. BUT I do feel that you need to be warned that this has homo erotic scenes in it and if you are not easy with that type of literature please do not buy it. Actually it looks well written from the bits I have read, and I am looking forward to reading it - and perhaps giving another review on the story.

But if you are uneasy with graphic same sex scenes please avoid. I wouldn't like anyone to buy it without realising and be offended
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 19, 2011 5:47 PM BST

Mr Darcy, Vampyre
Mr Darcy, Vampyre
by Amanda Grange
Price: 6.39

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been much better, but I finished it!, 3 Sep 2009
This review is from: Mr Darcy, Vampyre (Paperback)
This was a slow read, most of the book is just about Elizabeth travelling around Europe. Darcy is hardly mentioned at all. D&E did an awful lot of travelling, the author would get very involved with the surroundings and then move them on at a moments notice. The end was sudden and a bit like a cheap Hollywood movie, a bit Indiana Jones really...... you will know what I mean when you read it.

Although I enjoyed reading it, and finished it, I won't bother to re read it. The writing was really quite good in comparison with some other P&P fan fictions but it needed a lot more heart and interaction between the characters. It was a clever idea which could have gone a lot further.

BT Verve 450 DECT Single Cordless Digital Telephone with Answering Machine - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, 3 Sep 2009
I bought one of these answerphones because it was so highly recommended by other people. And it really is excellent, easy to set up, easy to use, nice clear recording. It was so good I got another one for a charity I work for, and two other people there thought it so good they are ordering one. Excellent value and very very easy to use

Character Options Doctor Who 5 Inch Faceless Grandma Connolly and the Wire Action Figures

3.0 out of 5 stars Actually quite good really........, 21 Jun 2009
= Durability:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
I enjoyed the rotten review of this, I read it just after I ordered Grandma and laughed a lot. I bought it for a 1/12th model and it is excellent value for that, it is well made, sturdy and very detailed. I did wonder when I bought it who they expected to sell it to. I imagine a production line (or packing line as there were 4 metal ties and 4 pieces of sellotape just to hold Grandma in to the double moulded plastic and cardboard container - it must have taken ages to pack, I know it took ages to unpack!) of workers wondering what the people of the west were going to do with these models - if they represent our old folks, what the brown box represented and what the faces on the box and radio represented. It was exactly what I wanted and I might buy some of the more human looking figures. How they make it for the money I don't know.

Magnificent Miniatures: Inspiration and Technique for Grand Houses on a Small Scale
by Kevin Mulvany

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent book, 24 Sep 2008
Magnificent Miniatures right the right title. This book is a marvellous collection of the best of Mulvany & Rogers. The quality of the photographs are first class, a failing in many books. The text is enthusiastic and informative and there are even projects to follow. If I had to find something to nitpick I would have liked some more background about materials, paint and moulding techniques but perhaps we will get that in the next book - there MUST be another book....
This book is very well buying, there are hours of enjoyment just studying the details in the glorious photographs. And an excellent read.