Profile for J. Reimer > Reviews

Content by J. Reimer

J. Reimer "Jay: father, teacher, reader" (Penang, Malaysia)

Pearson Baccalaureate: Higher Level Biology for the IB Diploma (Pearson International Baccalaureate Diploma: International Editions)
by William Ward

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, but better is available, 13 Sept. 2010
As a new IB teacher I looked at Weems (IBID) and Damon (Pearson) biology texts. Weems is black, green and whilte - including all text and pictures; Damon (this one) is in color. Duh ... this is the obvious choice! Same content, but in color, organized by assessment statements, etc.

But ... once I checked out Clegg's text (for the previous syllabus), I realized Clegg is the book to read. Choosing? Go Clegg! As a minimum look at a hard copy of Clegg while choosing and judge for yourself. The product stands on its own merits! So what if it is sequenced for the previous syllabus (and is lacking stats chapter). It is the best by far. Clegg is written by a clear, knowledgable author who knows how to teach: in person (by second hand testimony shared with me), and in text! The syllabus discrepancy is insignificant and not work using a "later" author.

Check it out? Judge for yourself!

Biology for the IB Diploma (International Baccalaureate Diploma)
Biology for the IB Diploma (International Baccalaureate Diploma)
by C. J. Clegg

5.0 out of 5 stars Unsung hero, 13 Sept. 2010
This book is for the "old" syllabus. So what?
This book has options on CD in the back rather than printed. So what?
The book has color pictures and diagrams. So what?

I am an IB SL & HL biology teachers and in my opinion, this book is simply the best biology textbook for IB available anywhere for any price! I first got a hold of this as a sample text based on one students' review of it ("the best IB text fo biology ever" etc.) but I expected little. I have chosen text books for the past 13 years and been saddled with a lot of rubbish because available quality is so low. But NOT CLEGG! This book is comprehensive; well written; and what rockets this past any other book are the brilliant "illustrations" in the test. They are detailed, clear, well annotated and ultimately support independent learning.

My primary texts for my students are: (1) Clegg (for clarifying or teaching content.) (2) Allott's "tiger" text for practicing DBQ questions (new edition contains partial key - thank God!) and (3) Biozone's "Senior Biology 1" & 2. They are brilliant, focused, highly graphic workbooks.

Finally: I love Amazon; they have changed the face of retailing! But ... they charge substantial fees for shipping. Enter "The Book Depository" in UK - which ships for free ... WORLDWIDE! (I live in Korea and receive texts and books for NO SHIPPING COST. Ok Amazon; get on it and offer free shipping. The ball is in your court now :)

Advanced Biology (Advanced Science)
Advanced Biology (Advanced Science)
by Michael Kent

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good but needs richer graphics, 26 Dec. 2009
My audience: 1st year IB-DP biology teacher (12 years teaching biology); ELL Korean students at international school

Strengths: Focussed presentation, encycopedic breadth

Weaknesses: Graphics

I bought this book because I am a biology teacher teaching DP-IB biology for the first time. I like the idea of a textbook compiling topics into single page spreads (sort of like the Campbell text Biology: Study Guide: Concepts and Connections as opposed to Biology: International Version.")

Other Amazon review's sounded good and I need another accessible reference for myself and students. I liked that this book presents a single topic in a single, 2=page "spread." This means that students do not have to "mine" for information but can just read - 2 pages at most for each specific topic. I love this kind of focussed presenatation. It takes out a lot of the "blah, blah, blah" and presents what is necessary.

This book is very good, and I realize a single page spread puts limitations on the amount of graphics one can use. However, I still felt, after a long peruse (not having read it in depth for content yet) that the book relies first on text and second on graphics. I love Clegg's Biology for the IB Diploma text (I'll purchase it next year for SL kids at least) because of the strength of graphic information - even though it is written according to the old syllabus. In a language rich content like biology, graphics are imperative for English language learners to grasp the content. This text is fine for native English speakers with good vocabulary but the graphics are not enough to support and assist students for whom English is a second language.