Profile for ASandNS > Reviews

Pantum P2000 Mono Laser Printer
Pantum P2000 Mono Laser Printer
Offered by MSH-LONDON

5.0 out of 5 stars It prints! No fuss!, 21 May 2015
This is the second Pantum printer I have bought. The 2050 (bought from another company) didn't work and had to go back. This one arrived next day, plugged it in and worked immediately. Lovely print quality. Absolutely delighted. Can now do my day job instead of faffing about with malfunctioning printers!

I Am Pilgrim
I Am Pilgrim
by Terry Hayes

1.0 out of 5 stars Daft, 29 July 2014
This review is from: I Am Pilgrim (Paperback)
Mirrors backed by silver NITRATE? That have been there for decades but one strong flash makes them into a photo film? Don't be silly. A. Silver nitrate is so light sensitive that it would break down in minutes. B. It's white so you wouldn't get a reflection. Mirrors are backed with...... silver...... because it's shiny and you can see yourself! I didn't find this book edge of seat stuff. It was dull and embarrassingly silly.

Morphy Richards Premium Plus 48319 Breadmaker, Stainless Steel
Morphy Richards Premium Plus 48319 Breadmaker, Stainless Steel

5.0 out of 5 stars Plug and play!, 17 May 2012
I have had an ancient Morphy Richards breadmaker in daily use for years which finally died of old age. Product loyalty made me go for this one and no disappointments at all! Very easy to use. Bread works first time (I used the sandwich loaf recipe from the booklet first, excellent! Perfectly risen, delicious and lovely and golden on the medium crust setting). All attachments are robust and solid. I was a bit worried that a new replacement would feel flimsy compared to my old one and the collapsible dough mixer worried me (would it snap off or be one more moving part to break?) but it is all very solid and looks built to last.
Two things to watch out for: ONE there are instructions (very easy) on how to seal your pan before you use it first time. I did this and it works excellently non-stick.
TWO if you register your product with Morphy Richards within 30 days of receipt, you get a TWO year warranty, rather than their standard one year.
If I absolutely had to be critical (and I really am scraping the barrel here) I would say watch out for the external dimensions. This is a BIG machine, make sure you have room for it (we have ours in the utility room rather than the kitchen anyway so that when it gets going in the middle of the night it only wakes the dog!). The other thing is that the buttons are built for 21st century texters - I prefer big, solid knobs, but that's the ancient crone in me sneaking out, I think.
I bought by machine through Pricelover via Amazon. I bought it on Tuesday with free 3-5 day delivery, and it arrived on Wednesday! Amazing!

The House of Lost Souls
The House of Lost Souls
by F.G. Cottam

4.0 out of 5 stars Great ending - just think about it!, 7 April 2012
I really sympathise with the reviewers who didn't like the end - it took me a bit of back flicking and figuring out to get it, but once I figured it out I thought it was great (I am going to write about the ending, so if you haven't read it, stop now).
The way I see it, the 'victims' that the Fischer coven targetted and influenced to commit suicide were all similar. There were so many of them, and the coven clearly got a big kick out of the breadth of their power to influence so many people which they then had power over as ghosts. All of them were deliberately sought out and selected. The plot makes it clear they were all very gifted, they had to be 'worthy' to be a good 'sacrifice' and it says about Nick Mason that managing to kill him makes the evil stronger - the powers get stengthened by assimilitating the power and talent of the people they kill, or get to kill themselves. The coven had been grooming Paul for years - they set up a huge, elaborate 'sting' in the early 80s to get him WHY? ...because they knew what he was capable of... But he was stronger than they realised and instead of being a victim of Mr Greb, he turned the tables ... HOW? We don't know til the end of the book, but all the way through the question was - how did he really get away? what happened in the 'lost' 30 hours? Why did the coven go to such great lengths to keep tabs on him when he recovered, send the bogus psychiatrist to find out what happened, and 'sting' him again to get him to undergo hypnosis? What was the point? And then why did they want him back there again and go to such elaborate, ridiculous contrived lengths again to sting him to go there? ... because he was the best sacrifice of all, they wanted his talent and power that even he did not know he had. But they knew, they were hungry, they wanted him but they underestimated him, and they got their fingers well and truly burnt! He was the big fish that got away twice and sank the boat!
I loved the end - if it was a weaker book there would have been 'clues' all the way through that he was more than he seemed, and we would have anticipated a Harry Potter ending, as it was, it was a real surprise, a real twist.
I can't wait to read more books by this guy - a brilliant horror story!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 8, 2012 12:03 PM BST

Jane Eyre's Rival: The Real Mrs Rochester
Jane Eyre's Rival: The Real Mrs Rochester

5.0 out of 5 stars Intelligent and captivating., 20 Nov. 2011
I really enjoyed this book. It has a strong storyline to keep the pages turning but is intimate and intelligent so that I was still chewing on it days later. A definite recommendation - read something different!