Profile for A. Beeton > Reviews

Content by A. Beeton

A. Beeton "adamblue" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Norton 360 2.0, Full Edition (PC)
Norton 360 2.0, Full Edition (PC)

3.0 out of 5 stars beware does not find all trojans!, 2 Oct 2008
OK, I bought the full price version form currys as I had a problem with my firewall and needed a quick fix. Norton did not provide a quick fix as there was a virus that it could not detect. The virus prevented me from updating or registering norton, it prevented access to symantec website. When I realised that I could not gain access to all antivirus websites I realised I had a virus problem. I downloaded a sypware software called XoftSpySE which is brillient and this sorted my problem. I can now register and update Norton. However, Norton still doesn't detect these trojans - its own spyware detection is not good, so I use the XoftSpySE to detect and delete these items.

As I paid the full 60 price I must say that I am dissapointed with Norton. I would advise you to also have a seperate spyware software as Norton is not as good as it likes to think it is.

The Cosmos Rocks
The Cosmos Rocks
Offered by SKYETORI
Price: 4.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Different sound but great album., 17 Sep 2008
This review is from: The Cosmos Rocks (Audio CD)
Wasn't going to buy it because of the poor reviews. But I did today, and I love it. It has a real retro vibe, with a few beatles and hendrixy moments, and a few queen moments too. However if you want classic Queen, obviously you wont find it here, but if you want a great bluesy rock n roll album this is it. There isn't a weak song on it, give it a chance!

Is it "Queen" not really... but it is very good anyway!!

The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment
The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment
by Eckhart Tolle
Price: 5.59

4.0 out of 5 stars essential reading, 10 Sep 2008
This book has been written in the sense of a dialogue between master and disciple reminicent of the Corpus Hermeticum. However in this case the reader may or may not find these imposed questions useful or, indeed annoying... This is a book which is either going to hit a chord, or will seem like utter nonsense. From my point of view as an average reader, I have found it very important because it explores concepts of this mind/ego (a double) which is inside of each person which needs confronting in someway. I think this book is must read for anyone who feels they are on a spiritual path, because fundementally (and in my limited understanding) the awareness of the 'double' and the fission of dark and light is inevitable along this path. If this is really the case, then this book should be seen as essential reading.

Journey to Mauritius (Lost & Found) (Lost & Found)
Journey to Mauritius (Lost & Found) (Lost & Found)
by Bernardin de Saint-Pierre

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, go buy it !, 31 July 2008
An excellent book for those interested in Mauritius, creole culture, and travel writing. With an informative introduction essay, extenisve notes, and the inclusion of "The Indian Shack" which at first I must admit I neglected to read, but when I read it I cried! Truly an amazing piece of literature
As for the main body of text, the actual travel memoir, it too gives an interesting account of colonial times, slavery, fauna and flora, and you may pick out the parts which interest you most. The presence of gris-gris even in this early part of the islands history is interesting.
I think this is a book to read for both tourists who want to understand more historical info, and for those interested in Paul et Virginie or course, I found it useful in my postgraduate studies to understand the process of creolization (ef present day Reunion)and in the case of mauritius the basis of how a nation was formed. Because it is in the Indian Shack - set in India but based on the authors experiences on Mauritus; and in the authors views that more 'Malabars' should come to Mauritius which really forsees the creation of that nation.

Instant Confidence  (Book and CD)
Instant Confidence (Book and CD)
by Paul McKenna
Price: 4.39

4.0 out of 5 stars recommended, 31 July 2008
I was deeply cynical of this book at first because it sounds a bit dipsy and the actions involved make you feel more than a bit silly, esspecially sitting down to be hypnotised. But the CD is quite interesting because it does change the way you think - even though it may not make you truly confident in the conventional sense. I think what the CD does is give you access to a different persona which you can fit into...you imagine someone you know who is very confident (choose carefully because this works, bizarely) until ones true authentic self (ego) emerges and develops. After a month or so I found myself somewhat more confident esspecially in job interviews for example. And these days I feel about 100 times more confident than I was two years ago - and I do feel happy to express who I am. Can my confidence be attributed to the book? Maybe not, but then perhaps the book is the catalyst - that first push to get the ball rolling. I recommend this book because if you are truly low in confidence what have you to lose - nothing. You just need a push in the right direction. This book is that push.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 17, 2008 5:14 PM GMT

On and On
On and On
Offered by Formats
Price: 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Best JJ album..., 23 July 2008
This review is from: On and On (Audio CD)
This is a grower rather than a grabber...but when you find 'inbetween dreams' become too samey, then try this...it is a real gem and once you get used to the electric sounds you'll love it. It is very hendrixy actually...and my fave jack johnson album.

The September Sessions
The September Sessions
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 4.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Good compilation, 23 July 2008
This review is from: The September Sessions (Audio CD)
If you want a jack johnson album don't buy this...but if you want a mixture of Jack with some similar stuff then this album is spot on. As soundtracks go this is one of my favourites as it isn't samey like most - just feels like a great compilation.

Creolization of Language and Culture
Creolization of Language and Culture
by Robert Chaudenson
Price: 97.42

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good text book, 7 April 2008
A very good text book on the process of creolization - both language and culture - and a good introduction to the subject written (as you would expect) by an expert in his field. Covers language, but also cuisine, folklore etc. Good for students and people who, having visited a creole island, may wish to delve into the basis of this wonderful melange of culture.

Mauritian Voices: New Writing in English
Mauritian Voices: New Writing in English
by Ron Butlin
Price: 5.73

3.0 out of 5 stars Mauritian stories, 7 April 2008
A collection of fiction and a few (presumably) non-fiction stories, and some poems from Mauritius. The work here varies in quality but is on the whole an interesting book to dip into, although probably a little specialist for most people. The book has a few black & white line drawings by Mauritian artist Krishna Luchoomun. It is a shame that the publishers did not use one of his paintings or installations for the front cover.

The Mauritius Command
The Mauritius Command
by Patrick O'Brian
Price: 6.29

4.0 out of 5 stars great adventure series, 5 Mar 2008
This review is from: The Mauritius Command (Paperback)
This was the first book that I bought, mainly because it was in the part of the Indian Ocean to which I am well acquainted. At times all the sea battles get a bit confusing but it is in the dialogue and in the use of the English language which makes the book special. I loved the comment by Aubrey that he had to return to Bourbon (Reunion) island to get more bourbon coffee - better than the stuff he got in Mauritius - The Bourbon Pointu is actually being grown again...anyway, it is an interesting book about a forgotten chapter in British Marine History when we took the islands of Rodriguez, Mauritius and Bourbon (La Réunion). Lets hear a Huzzah for Capt. Aubrey !

Page: 1 | 2 | 3