Profile for Baggie Blog > Reviews

Content by Baggie Blog

Baggie Blog "WBA" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
An Utterly Exasperated History of Modern Britain: or Sixty Years of Making the Same Stupid Mistakes as Always
by John O'Farrell

1.0 out of 5 stars On further investigation the author has stood as a labour candidate and was heard to comment that it would have better if Thatch, 24 Jan. 2015
The political bias towards the left in this book ruined the humour. On further investigation the author has stood as a labour candidate and was heard to comment that it would have better if Thatcher had been killed in the Brighton bomb incident. Not nice.

Slaughterhouse 5, or The Children's Crusade - A Duty-dance with Death
Slaughterhouse 5, or The Children's Crusade - A Duty-dance with Death
by Kurt Vonnegut

1.0 out of 5 stars "So it goes" into the bin, 13 April 2013
After 130 pages of 170 I could not take any more of "So it goes" so I gave up. What a tedious book. If I read "So it goes" once I read it a 100 times. For the 5 and 4 star people "Emperors new clothes" springs to mind.

Best Man
Best Man
by Matt Dunn

1.0 out of 5 stars Garbage, 21 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Best Man (Paperback)
This "book" is so predictable !. Imagine a bunch of guys meet a bunch of girls. What could go wrong ? Well it does. YAWN. Just do not bother

A Dark and Broken Heart
A Dark and Broken Heart
by R.J. Ellory

5.0 out of 5 stars Pacy, nail-biting tension., 13 Jun. 2012
I'll leave the cliches for this review's title - and add that RJ Ellory avoids cliche in this chilling and thrilling addition to his growing list of accomplished novels.

This time, we learn to love and loathe a flawed man. No matter how well we think we know Vincent Madigan, we can never predict his next move. Plotted with meticulous detail and loaded with more twists and turns than a 'twisty-turny thing', ADABH will leave you breathless.

Don't start reading this unless you have plenty of time - you'll want to eat it all in one helping.

Schmidt Sportsworld Fit 60 Exercise Bike
Schmidt Sportsworld Fit 60 Exercise Bike

1.0 out of 5 stars Can you read German ?, 2 Mar. 2012
First the good news. The product was delivered promptly and looked very robust and fit for purpose etc. Now the bad news; There was no English assembly instructions. Now my understanding of German is okay, but this was a 20 page manual. I contacted Amazon who tried to find some English instructions. In parallel I rang the company and emailed them in English and German. After 2 days nothing from the company or Amazon. I have sent it back, very very disappointed in Amazon and Schmidt. It may be a great product, but I will never know. It should be a warning to anyone, no other reviews; forget it.

Staying Alive
Staying Alive
by Matt Beaumont

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad subject, 2 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Staying Alive (Paperback)
Having read all three "e" books I was ready for a good laugh. The back of this book suggests an illness to the main character. As someone who has experienced the affects of this "illness", I would not have started this "comedy" book if I had known. After 100 pages, I skipped to the very predictable end. How other reviewers can say it is the "the funniest book about terminal illness I have ever read" have clearly not experienced the illness at first hand.

The Passage
The Passage
by Justin Cronin

3.0 out of 5 stars Starts with a bang, ends with a slight fizzle., 25 Jun. 2011
This review is from: The Passage (Paperback)
I am a victim of hype here, I admit it. I loved the sound of this novel, and it promised to be a new challenge to the hackneyed vamp opus. I read the first 200 pages with alarming speed - superb action and character. I loved the way Cronin has mixed his simple narratives with diaries, emails, newspaper articles etc - it all lends an air of authenticity. BUT...it is simply too long and sprawling. I agree with some of the other reviews on here. The middle section is too long and not particularly interesting, even. When the action picks up again, it is almost difficult to care about the not-quite-3-dimensional characters. There's just a little hint of something that doesn't quite ring true about them all - especially Amy.

I would like to have learnt much more about the apocalypse - the 90-odd years later, post-viral world that is presented left too many questions unanswered - and I certainly don't need spoon-feeding here, I just wanted to know more so I could marry up all the loose ends, or alt least be bothered about the who/when/where etc. The ending section picked up again - but only just.

Don't get me wrong - I did enjoy it (I think) but it left me kind of empty. Will I continue with the purported trilogy? Mmm, maybe, if there's nothing on the tv.

And I was a little underwhelmed when the writer describes, in a postscript, how his daughter proved to be the inspiration for this work. Like, whatever...

The Monkees: Season 2 [DVD]
The Monkees: Season 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ The Monkees
Offered by Cheap-As-Chips

5.0 out of 5 stars Monkee madness revival!, 25 May 2011
This review is from: The Monkees: Season 2 [DVD] (DVD)
Fab - cult viewing, and the episodes are nice and sharp with excellent sound quality. The humour hasn't dated at all - cheesy, but fun.

Micky: Bring me my lucky holster.
Davy: Which one's that?
Micky: The one with the gun in it.

Super packaging too - lots of notes and the songs are listed for each programme. 33 1/3 revs per Monkee is also included here, so a real gem. The extras are quite cool - they guys provide commentaries for certain episodes - haven't listened yet, but I will!
A few reviewers have mentioned that it's NTSC format - but it plays fine on my PS3.

Enjoy a bit of nostalgia.

A Quiet Vendetta
A Quiet Vendetta
by R.J. Ellory

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful., 24 April 2011
This review is from: A Quiet Vendetta (Paperback)
It seems strange to call a novel which references such horrific violence 'beautiful', but it is such a superbly, richly-crafted piece of writing, that the word somehow fits.

I've read all of Ellory's novels now (rooting for a fellow Brummie) and this has to be the best. It starts with Ellory's inimitable, leisurely pace - and we come to know the accompanying characters very well before we ever meet Ernesto. This moment is like the moment in Godfather when Michael Corleone sees Apollonia for the first time - we are thunderstruck. What a character. His voice is mesmeric and our appetite for his story becomes insatiable as we travel the journey of his life.

Ellory cleverly paces this novel, drip-feeding us what we need to know, and sowing the seeds of the plot one by one. There is no rush. Reward is on its way.

I was wrung out when I had finished it.

Beautiful.

Handle with Care
Handle with Care
by Jodi Picoult

1.0 out of 5 stars *Yawn*, 22 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Handle with Care (Paperback)
Oh dear. I will never learn - I said that I would never read another Picoult after the shockingly derivative Change of Heart. I must learn to listen to myself.

This one deals with another sensitive issue, but the main protagonist (mum) is a really unstructured character who changes her mind/heart to suit the plot. I found it hard to have any sympathy for any of the characters - how harsh am I?

The narrative is formulaic, and the so-called shock ending is as subtle as a 'rhinoceros horn up the backside'.

So I'm done with Picoult.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 29, 2013 2:40 PM GMT