Profile for Ivy Kernaghan > Reviews

Content by Ivy Kernaghan

Ivy Kernaghan

Lumen (Captain Martin Bora Mysteries)
Lumen (Captain Martin Bora Mysteries)
by Ben Pastor

3.0 out of 5 stars I was disappointed in this book as I didn't particularly like the ..., 10 July 2014
I was disappointed in this book as I didn't particularly like the main character Captain Bora. I also found the narrative a obscure most of the time- it seemed to raise questions and not really come to any conclusion. I just did not really enjoy the story as I didn't sympathise with the characters. In fact I fond the behaviour of the German military little far fetched.

Fruit of the Loom Childrens/Kids Unisex Valueweight Short Sleeve T-Shirt (5-6) (Light Pink)
Offered by Bowls4u----Snooker, Sports & Clothing

4.0 out of 5 stars Fruit of the Loom Short Sleeved T Shirts, 1 April 2014
I find these T shirts very good quality and certainly value for money. The colour range is excellent. My little granddaughter takes part in a range of activities that require short sleeved T shirts and is indeed now well equipped. I shall certainly continue to buy them as she needs replacements.

The Empty Mirror
The Empty Mirror
by J.Sydney Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars The Empty Mirror, 22 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Empty Mirror (Hardcover)
This was more of a challenge for me to read- an intriguing story which at times had me verifying between fact and fiction . My historical knowledge is not impressive but after checking out some of background in the story I know find myself better informed! I was intrigued following the plot and found it well out of the norm from the same genre of novels I've read. The two central characters , Werthen and Gross provided interest with their contrasting personalities. Vienna was also of added interest to me as I've visited many of the places in the book.

Lehrter Station (John Russell 5)
Lehrter Station (John Russell 5)
by David Downing

5.0 out of 5 stars Lehrter Station, 22 Aug 2013
I have read all this series up to Lehrter Station and hope to read the final one. That explains how much I have enjoyed them. These stories are extremely well written and of historical and human interest. They also capture a period in time convincingly. My only regret is that I'm so close to the final novel. I should also add that with the earlier novels I have actually read twice.(leaving a reasonable gap in time)

Death on the Marais (Inspector Rocco)
Death on the Marais (Inspector Rocco)
by Adrian Magson

5.0 out of 5 stars Death on the Marais, 22 Aug 2013
This is the second book I've bought in this series. I intend buying more. I like the French setting and particularly the character of the central character. He reminds me a little of P D James' Dalgleish - another character I enjoyed. The stories give good insight into French rural life ( a bit like Bruno), which is a bonus. The stories are well constructed and convincing.

First Term at Malory Towers
First Term at Malory Towers
by Enid Blyton

4.0 out of 5 stars First Term at Mallory Towers, 22 Aug 2013
See review for Famous Five. I read these books avidly as a child and thoroughly enjoyed them. I know there's been criticism of their middle class approach and probably are a bit out of touch these days. Probably makes me more keen for my granddaughter to read them.

Lesson in Secrets, A (Maisie Dobbs)
Lesson in Secrets, A (Maisie Dobbs)
by Jacqueline Winspear

4.0 out of 5 stars Maisie Dobbs , A Lesson in Secrets, 22 Aug 2013
I am a fan of Maisie Dobbs , having bought a number of them. I like the quaint of the period and the settins of the individual stories. Maisie has a great appeal with a foot in each class of the social divide, which sustains interest in the social mores of the period.

Famous Five: 1: Five On A Treasure Island
Famous Five: 1: Five On A Treasure Island
by Enid Blyton

4.0 out of 5 stars Five on a Treasure Island and First Term at Mallory Towers, 22 Aug 2013
I bought this book and Mallory Towers for my granddaughter. I've decided to put them on hold as she is still too young (aged 5).I have no doubt she will enjoy them as she is already a very keen reader which pleases me greatly and these are the type of stories that would appeal to her.

Nessie the Mannerless Monster
Nessie the Mannerless Monster
by Ted Hughes

3.0 out of 5 stars I K, 26 Dec 2012
Bought this for my little granddaughter who is fascinated by Nessie. No problems with delivery and condition of the book, but was disappointed in the story itself. She is normally rapt when you read to her, but this one needed explanation and did not hold her attention. Maybe I misunderstood the audience it should appeal to, but I didn't like the style used. Maybe she will come back to it.