Profile for Matt > Reviews

Content by Matt

Matt (England)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Really RELAXING Colouring Book 2: Colour Me Calm: Volume 2 (Really RELAXING Colouring Books)
by Elizabeth James

1.0 out of 5 stars Can't Follow The Story, 13 Aug. 2015
I was told by a friend it wouldn't matter if I hadn't already read the Really RELAXING Colouring Book 1. What a mistake I made skipping straight to this one. I just can't follow the story and I can't identify with any of the characters.

Also, there are more pictures that I would have liked and they're all in black and white. Would a little colour be too much to ask?

The Wack Album
The Wack Album
Offered by Fulfillment Express

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing New Here, 9 Aug. 2015
This review is from: The Wack Album (Audio CD)
I have to agree with the reviewer who said the joke is wearing thin. The first album worked because as well as having that shock value, it was cleverly done. Turtleneck and Chain was still pretty good but basically just more of the same but The Wack Album is probably not going to be played very often because it's all shock and no brains. Look how much they say f**k and talk about their dicks. Die hard fans will love it but unless the band up their game, I wouldn't recommend checking out anything else they come up with in the future.

NEW NON SLIP DELUXE BATH & SHOWER MAT - CAN BE CUT TO ANY SIZE - DURABLE PVC - CLEAR BUBBLE EFFECT ANTI SLIP SHOWER MAT - MACHINE WASHABLE - BRAND NEW

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Great Value For Money, 9 Aug. 2015
This product is one of the reasons why you should try to see something before you buy it. The product description stating "can be cut to any size" led me to believe it would be quite big. It's actually smaller than a normal shower mat. Also, it is not solid as it looks in the picture, it is more of a webbing effect. Finally, the suction pads on it aren't very strong. While there's nothing wrong with this mat at the moment, I've only had it for about a week and I don't thin kit feels as though it's going to last very long.

Oball Wobble Bobble
Oball Wobble Bobble

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Aimed at the Right Age, 1 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Oball Wobble Bobble (Baby Product)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A lot of reviewers have stated that this toy isn't suitable or babies as young as three months and I have to agree with them. I'm not worried about my daughter (five months old) getting her fingers stuck in it and getting hurt. There are a lot of small gaps between the circles and the toy does vibrate quite violently when it's on but I don't think it's strong enough to cause any serious damage. However, I'm still not 100% sure of that!

My daughter spent maybe five minutes trying to grab it when it was on the floor in front of her and after that she lost interest entirely. My four year old however loves playing with it (although she wants to kick it around the kitchen floor and I don't know how long it will stand up to that!)

Basically, all it does is vibrate (loudly) and plays music. While there is a power button, it's not a case of turning it on to play with it. Once you turn it on, it won't do anything until you bash/shake it. Then it vibrates and plays music for a few seconds before it stops again.

This is the first time I've seen a baby toy fail to amuse a baby and lose the attention of the child so quickly. Even if my daughter did enjoy playing with it more, I can't see how it would contribute to her development. It does have textured surfaces but they are all the same texture (slightly raised circle outlines). They could have had different shapes, different grades of plastic, used some fabric etc, but it isn't even that well thought out.

When I started this review I thought "Well, it's not that bad" and was going to give it four stars. Then I started writing and thought that based on what I'd written so far, it was probably only worth three. Now I'm at the end I don't think it's even worth that. I would only recommend buying this if you have money to burn. There are so many better toys out there for £15. Shape sorters, stacking cups, toy instruments, etc. Get something like that instead and if you already have some/all of those, I'd recommend simply saving your money.

WOW Toys Special Day Countdown Calendar
WOW Toys Special Day Countdown Calendar

5.0 out of 5 stars What a Great Idea!, 1 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a great idea for a product and while it seems a bit expensive for what is essentially an advent calendar with only ten doors, the quality of the toys inside is excellent and children will be able to play with them for a long time afterwards, as opposed to something like a Kinder egg toy that may only last a week or two.

There is obviously no set date for you to start the calendar, just work out the start date based on whatever you're counting down to and start it then. The toys can be used together (e.g. the characters can sit in the vehicles) and even with the calendar.

While some people may think that space toys are specifically for boys, I would argue otherwise. A girl will get just as much enjoyment out of this calendar and the toys inside as a boy would. My daughter (four years old) already has a Happyland Martian Moon House and has been playing with it since she was two. She loves these figures just as much and now plays with them all together.

I think this calendar could be very well employed if the day the child is counting down to is something they are nervous or unsure about (trip to the dentist, first day of school etc). It could add extra excitement and distract the child from feeling apprehensive about something. Very good product!

Wahl Elite Pro Main Hair Clipper Kit
Wahl Elite Pro Main Hair Clipper Kit

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't Fault Them, 1 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am reviewing these from the receiving end of the hair cut, with some additional input from my wife who has been cutting my hair for the last couple of years. We have always used Wahl clippers, the previous set being the Super Taper Hair Clipper and while they were very good, these ones are even better.

First of all, this newer set comes with a case and more accessories. Apart from the clippers, you get:

- Ten different length attachments from one to eight (including 0.5 and 1.5)
- Comb
- Scissors
- Small bottle of blade oil (you only ever need a tiny amount)
- Cleaning brush
- Barbers bib

The length attachments on the previous set were quite thin and flimsy and while none of them had broken, a few of them were starting to bend through weakness. The attachments in this set feel stronger and have more resistance to them if you try to bend them.

The clippers themselves are excellent. My wife stated that she finds cutting the hair on top of my head (with the number eight attachment) a lot easier, whereas before she had to go over the same area a few times.

The attachments themselves are very easy to fit to the clippers. The simply clip on and a gentle press at the back of the clip will lift them off again.

I thoroughly recommend these clippers because at this price, you only need a few haircuts before you've made your money back as opposed to going to a barbers or salon.

Hallmark Star Wars Birthday Card 'May The Force Be With You' - Medium
Hallmark Star Wars Birthday Card 'May The Force Be With You' - Medium

5.0 out of 5 stars May The Birthday Wishes Be With You!, 26 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Mostly, what you need to know about this card you can see from the picture. The front has the Star Wars logo in raised, golden writing on a background of stars with a golden border. The card is about 15 x 20cm and I'd say the price is about right for this size of card.

On the inside it says (All in capital letters)

"Happy Birthday...

...And may the force be with you"

On the back (if you really want to know this) it has the Hallmark, Star Wars, and Disney logos, and the price code is 75/JJ (I suppose JJ is somewhat appropriate given the director of the forthcoming film!)

Cakeology: Over 20 Sensational Step-By-Step Cake Decorating Projects
Cakeology: Over 20 Sensational Step-By-Step Cake Decorating Projects
by Juliet Sear

5.0 out of 5 stars A Lovely Book!, 22 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I love this book! I haven't actually tried to make anything from it yet but I've had a good scour through and I can already see plenty of things I will try the next time I make a cake. I was also very happy to see that I already had quite a bit of the recommended kit!

I started getting into decorating elaborate cakes when my daughter was born (well, a year after for her first birthday cake). So far my talents have only extended so far as making an appropriate shape with the sponge and then creatively icing to to look like Upsy Daisy or a minion (both turned out very well).

This book contains all sorts of tips, techniques, recipes and methods that anyone from a beginner to someone at an advanced level can use. There are twenty-four projects to attempt (including the cake on the front cover) rated either easy, intermediate or advanced (and a few falling across two categories).

There is a section about your baking toolkit which covers equipment you will definitely need and things that are nice but not necessary. It's not just about baking the cake either but also assembling and transporting it.

There is also a section called "Basics" which contains a wealth of information including technical jargon, how much mixture you need to use for which ever size cake tin you are using (damn, that's a useful page!), splitting cakes, covering them, different types of icing, patterns etc. The list goes on!

Finally there is a recipes section including instructions for various cake batters, sauces, icings, biscuits etc.

I am going to use this book every time I make a cake from now on and I look forward to trying out new techniques I previously thought I'd never stand a chance with!

Philips QT4013/23 Series 3000 Beard Trimmer
Philips QT4013/23 Series 3000 Beard Trimmer

4.0 out of 5 stars Feels Cheap But Gets The Job Done, 22 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
While this trimmer has mostly positive reviews, there are quite a few people stating that the quality isn't as good as other trimmers on the market (one reviewer comparing it to a shaver that costs ten times as much, which seems a little unfair to me!)

I quite like this trimmer. I have previously been using the Philips QT4090/32 Pro Stubble Trimmer which is much more expensive but I actually prefer this one as I can trim my moustache with it as well. The head guard on the QT4090 is bigger than my top lip and consequently I can't trim under my nose at all but the QT4013 handles the job easily.

Despite the product description, the charger is a standard 3-pin 13 amp plug and it doesn't take a lot of charging at all before you can use the trimmer. You can also use it plugged in.

The supplied pouch is again cheap but does the job, although it'd be nice if the charger fit in it as well. I can't comment on the brush as I didn't seem to get one.

All in all it's not a bad bit of kit. It's not a very expensive trimmer and you get what you pay for.

Safety 1st SecurTech Auto Close Metal Gate - White
Safety 1st SecurTech Auto Close Metal Gate - White

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Gate, But Is It Worth The Extra Money?, 20 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We previously had two Lindam stair gates for our first daughter, one at the top and one at the bottom of the stairs. We've not used them for a couple of years now and have passed one of them on to a relative with a young child. Now we have another daughter we needed another one so when this came up to try I sent for it.

Largely it's exactly the same as the Sure Shut Axis Gate, the only difference being that this gate has the automatic close feature. Whatever position you leave it open in, it will swing and lock shut. This is obviously a massive bonus (especially if you are carrying something through the gate) but it's up to you to decide if it's worth an extra twelve pounds, especially if you need more than one gate.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20