Profile for David > Reviews

David

Victorinox Huntsman Pocket Knife, Grey Box - Red
Victorinox Huntsman Pocket Knife, Grey Box - Red

5.0 out of 5 stars I would not be without one, 20 Oct. 2014
I had one of these for many years and had to make a present of it to the security staff at JFK Airport last month! First thing I did was to buy this replacement. They are superb.

Konig & Meyer 250mm Flugelhorn Stand - Black
Konig & Meyer 250mm Flugelhorn Stand - Black
Offered by Normans Musical Instruments

5.0 out of 5 stars Just right, 13 Aug. 2013
Rather late in life I have just bought a flugelhorn to back up my trumpet playing.Needed a stand for it and this one arrived quickly and does the job perfectly.Five legs that fold away for packing,and so very stable.Just the job.

Heavy Solid Polished Brass 3" Bolt Small
Heavy Solid Polished Brass 3" Bolt Small

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Right, 13 Aug. 2013
Just had an expensive bathroom refit and needed a good looking bolt on the door.This one is heavy weight ,looks good, and fits in very nicely .Solid brass and has what appears to be a good polished finish. Arrived quickly.Very pleased.

Lost Empires [DVD]
Lost Empires [DVD]
Dvd ~ Colin Firth

5.0 out of 5 stars This version is playable in UK, 5 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Lost Empires [DVD] (DVD)
This is an excellent recreation of Mr Priestley's book,except for the initial war scenes.It then settles down and if you love the book as I do then you will love this.Quickly supplied by Amazon,my main reason for submitting this review is to correct the impression that it is not compatible with UK video players.It certainly plays on mine which is not a multi zone player.I believe that at one time only American imports were available and there were problems.Not any more it appears.I won't outline the story as other reviews have done that.

Brother DCP-195C A4 Colour Inkjet Multifunction Printer
Brother DCP-195C A4 Colour Inkjet Multifunction Printer

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, 21 Sept. 2012
Our first reason for buying this was it's colour.Not black like all the others!That said it arrived quickly from Amazon,and no trouble to set up with the CD provided for Windows7,although I had to phone Brother for help setting up the scanner side of things.They responded well and talked me through it, so all OK now but the info provided was a bit vague without their help.No troubles to report so far and for it's price this does seem a bargain.

Ken Colyer Discography Incorporating the Crane River Jazz Band (Eurojazz discos)
by Gerard Bielderman
Edition: Unknown Binding

5.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, 10 May 2012
This excellent book lists all recordings by Ken Colyer.This is a second hand 1996 edition,and unfortunately Ken won't be recording any more as he is playing these days in the jazz club in the sky.A superb reference book with dates ,tunes,and all the musicians on each session.Very quickly delivered by Kenny Bookman through Amazon.

The Good Companions - The Complete Series [DVD] [1980]
The Good Companions - The Complete Series [DVD] [1980]
Dvd ~ Jan Francis
Offered by A2ZSupplies

5.0 out of 5 stars Rich pleasure indeed, 17 April 2012
I first read Mr Priestley's masterpiece of a concert party on the road about 50 years ago and have re-read it many times snce,knowing and loving the characters like old friends.One fears that TV adaptations of something that one knows so well could miss the boat completely,but not so this one.Of course the adaptation is by Alan Plater whose Beiderbecke series was also beautifully done,and flat caps off to him,Yorkshire Television,and of course JB himself for such an enjoyable DVD that remains faithfull to the book throughout.They are all there,every name ,every location,every performance just right.We are in the middle of watching it all through again.If you loved the book,if you enjoy a rich tale beautifully told,and with a happy ending, get this and hours of pleasure.What we now want is a reissue of Lost Empires.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 22, 2012 12:29 AM BST

Goin'Home: The Uncompromising Life and Music of Ken Colyer
Goin'Home: The Uncompromising Life and Music of Ken Colyer
by Mike Pointon

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 25 Dec. 2010
I just cannot believe what a superb book Mr Pointon and Mr Smith have produced.It has everything and more about The Guv'nor and a CD as well.Wonderful,and my warmest congratulations to everyone who has been involved.The sort of Christmas present you dream of getting and here it is.Get one before they are sold out.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 30, 2015 5:01 PM BST

Panasonic Lumix TZ8 Digital Camera - Silver (12.1MP, 12x Optical Zoom) 2.7 inch LCD

5.0 out of 5 stars So far,so good., 26 Aug. 2010
I have a Nikon Coolpix 4200 and wanted a compact with more pixels,more zoom,and a better video performance.After much searching and reading countless reviews like this I got confused.For every three or four 5 star reviews for a camera you find one that tells you that it is the most hopeless piece of junk ever made! In the end I went with the majority and decided on the TZ8.The Amazon price and delivery were first class and so far the camera does everything it should.The zoom and video quality are amazing to me and as an intelligent auto user,rather than an expert I have found no trouble in using the camera.There is no paper handbook which is a bit of a disappointment,but it is all on the CD.
The camera is made in Japan,rather than somewhere else,and looks to be very strongly put together.I use it with the Nikon Picture Project and Microsoft Picture It softwear on my computer and all works well.So far I have not tried to use the editing suite that comes with the camera from Panasonic.With regard to battery life and all the issues that some reviewers fume about we are just off on holiday to do some safari and I will know more then.But as I say,so far,so good,and in many respects better than I expected.No complaints yet.

The London Encyclopaedia (3rd Edition)
The London Encyclopaedia (3rd Edition)
by Christopher Hibbert

5.0 out of 5 stars A heavyweight in the world of encyclopaedias, 26 July 2010
I encouraged my son to buy the hardback version for my Christmas present, being a London boy born and bred.I was delighted with the book,but be warned that at 1100 pages this is not one to carry around on your travels! Subsequently my wife bought the paperback version for my friend who is a frequent visitor to the capital.I have not seen the paperback version,so cannot comment on the binding.The hardback is very well made.This is a book to study before you go and when you get back.It is not a coffee table picture book,although it has many illustrations,and does not limit itself to Central London only,covering an area from Upminster in the East to Uxbridge in the West,Barnet in the North to Sutton in the South, in minute detail.Even Romford,my birth place is included . Buildings past and present,history,government,transport,sport,theatres,pubs,museums, street performers, events ,riots,etc.,are all covered.It is difficult to imagine anything that is not included in this formidable work.If you like reading this book is heartily recommended.