ARRAY(0xa526c12c)

Profile for Mr. A. J. Tully > Reviews

Content by Mr. A. J. Tully

Mr. A. J. Tully (Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Violent Solution
The Violent Solution
Price: 1.54

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent twisting thriller., 14 Sep 2013
This is a very good short story that grips from beginning to end. It is a good old fashioned spy thriller with many twists, turns, blood and characters. Even though there are many characters which overlap and inter connect, the author has done a good job of keeping each of them distinct so you never get confused about which one you are reading about. The author also manages to paint and describe very convicing scenes that have excellent detail. All in all if you are looking for a quick read that is well written and that will keep you entertained, The violent solution is well worth a look.

Piano Man
Piano Man
Price: 4.72

5.0 out of 5 stars An unexpected great album, 9 Oct 2010
This review is from: Piano Man (Audio CD)
Im a big Billy Joel fan primarily due to my father playing his Billy Joel cassettes in the car when I was kid. Recently I decided to buy all his albums and relive a bit of my childhood, not an easy task on the old wallet as he has released 12 studio albums and numourous live albums. Before I bought the piano man album I wasn't to sure about it and was not expectimg much as I had heard his early albums were not that great compared to his later albums like the stranger or innocent man. Well imagine my surprise when I got the album and loved it. I had always loved the song piano man like everyone else but for me the other songs on the album are right up there. There are 10 songs on the CD and each have a happy sing along quality to them. Admittedly they don't have the richness or depth of his later songs but they make up for that with their toe tappingness and warmth. Songs like Ain't no crime, you're my home and stop in Nevada went striaght into my playlist as did Captain Jack which has a rawness that is great to listen to. After listening to this album I felt better which for me nowadays is a must for listening to an album as sad depressing songs just do not do it for me anymore. I would urge all Billy Joel fans to add this to their collection as I would to ordinary music fans who want an album that has songs they can listen to again and again and that lodge in your brain forever.

The Best of Roy of the Rovers: 1970s
The Best of Roy of the Rovers: 1970s
by Tom Tully
Price: 9.28

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great book about a comic Icon, 27 Feb 2010
I love Roy of the Rovers, the comic has a special place in my heart and this book shows why it does. I loved the best of Roy of the Rovers 1980s and even though this book does not have an iconic story line like who shot Roy Race, it still has an excellent story about the 30,000 goal rush challenge where Racy is in the hunt for 30,000 for the highest goal scorer in the league . This book shows people how a football story should be written with highs as well as lows. The annual also has excellent art work in it which for kids (or in my case a big kid) makes you really care for and enjoy the stories and characters. The book has over 200 pages in it and is a perfect gift for kids (and some adults).

Ricky Gervais
Ricky Gervais
Price: 11.15

5.0 out of 5 stars The birth of an unintentional comic genius, 8 Dec 2008
This review is from: Ricky Gervais (Audio CD)
These CDs contain the first series of Ricky Gervais's record breaking podcast. The CD contains all 12 episodes of the podcasts that were downloaded more than any other podcasts on the internet. Each episode is about 30 minutes long and has Ricky Gervais, Steve Merchant and the brilliant Karl pilkington. Karl was Ricky and Steves producer when they had a radio show on a London radio station and they found that he had a weird almost childlike view on the world and the things living in it. Ricky then decided to share the gift of Karls genius to the world in the form of a series of podcasts, the first series of which is on the CD. Each episode basically takes the form of Ricky and Steve asking Karl questions about the world and karl giving his unintentionaly funny answers. Karl also tells stories to Ricky and Steve in the form of monkey news which are all outrageous stories that involve a monkey of some sort. If you have never heard of Karl Pilkington, then where have you been and you need to buy this CD.

Singer
Singer
Price: 7.41

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable listen, 4 Oct 2008
This review is from: Singer (Audio CD)
This is a very good CD, with a good mix of songs and artists. There is a good mix of old and new, with new songs like Bad Day by Daniel Pouter and nine million bicycles by Katie Melua and older tunes like your song by Elton John and Perfect Day by Lou Reed. Personally I think the 1st CD is a little bit better than the 2nd CD, but both CDs are very good. The general tone of the album is of easier music which is very easy to listen to and often leaves you feeling better than when you started. There are 38 tracks in total on the album, 20 on the 1st CD and 18 on the 2nd, which will give you over 2 hours of music to listen and enjoy. If you want a compilation album with a set of songs that you haven't heard in a while and with very good singers then this is the CD for you.

Capcom Classics Remix (PSP)
Capcom Classics Remix (PSP)

2.0 out of 5 stars A let down, 4 Oct 2008
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
I have quite a few of these retro collections for my PSP and this is one of the worst. I bought this as I really enjoyed Capcom Classics Collection Reloaded, but it seems that all the good games were on that collection and that all their bad games were put on this collection. There are 20 games on the disc and most are from the late 80s early 90s. There are only a few games worth noting like strider a 2D fighting platformer and final fight a side scrolling beat-em up. Most of the other games are quite similar and disapointing with bad controls. The original street fighter is a game that suffers from this. Another game called quiz and dragons seems completly pointless as you are a conan character that goes round a board and instead of killing dragons and ghouls you answer rubbish trivia quetions. Also games like 1941 are worth getting on Capcom Classics Reloaded rather than remix as there are 3 different versions on that one. All in this isn't great and is only worth getting if you particulary want to play a certain game, if you want a retro collection then I recommend Capcom Classics Reloaded.

The Best of Roy of the Rovers: The 1980s
The Best of Roy of the Rovers: The 1980s
by Tom Tully
Price: 7.03

5.0 out of 5 stars A much over due collection of a comic icon, 4 Oct 2008
Roy of the Rovers has a special place in many peoples hearts as well as my own. For many young boys he was a hero and someone to aspire to. He always did his best and many kids impression of a great footballer and a great man came from the Roy of the Rovers comics. The comics followed the trials and tribulations of Roy Race, manager and star striker of Melchester Rovers. This long over due annual brings together some of the best Roy stories from the 1980s and for many some of his best ever. This collection has probally one of the best known and most remembered story, who shot Roy Race. This on running saga caught many kids immaginations and it is great to see it reprinted in all its glory. The book has over 200 pages and has many stories in it and is a great read. So if you want to relive a piece of your childhood or maybe show your kids what a great comic is this is the annual for you.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 27, 2010 4:32 PM GMT

"Commando": Bandits at 12 O'clock (Commando for Action and Adventure)
"Commando": Bandits at 12 O'clock (Commando for Action and Adventure)
by George Low
Price: 15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A great collection, 4 Oct 2008
I love these commando collections, I have all the commando collections that have been published so far and this is my favourite. I have been reading commando books since I was a kid as my grandad used to give me his when he was finised with them. My favourites were always the areoplane stories so I was delighted to find out that the next collection that would be published was entirely made up of them, and I wasn't dissapointed. The book contains 12 plane stories and has 783 pages in it so it is a hefty book, but don't let that discourage you. The pictures have been enlarged just like the other commando collections which really lets you see the excellent artwork. The stories themselves range from fighter stories with spitfires, to bomber tales with lancasters. Each one is well written and full of likeable characters, some with flaws but ultimatley with a boat load of courage. The stories in the book are all quite low numbers the lowest being 239 and the highest being 2159 and most are around the 900 mark and seeing as the current commando books are over 4000 issues a lot of people won't have read them. Even for die hard fans the collection is still worth getting. I cant recommend this book enougth, its a perfect gift for a kid or even a big kid like me.

The Cosby Show: Season 1 [DVD]
The Cosby Show: Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bill Cosby
Price: 7.75

4.0 out of 5 stars A heart warming and groundbreaking show, 25 Sep 2008
The Cosby show is a very good American family comedy. It was made in the early 1980's and feautured the great comedian and actor Bill Cosby. The show follows the everyday trials and tribulations of DR Cliff Huxtable (played by Cosby) and his family. Which include his wife Claire whose a lawyer and his five kids, Sondra, Denise, Theo, Vanessa and little Rudy. The kids cover all age groups and the show tackles many different issues the kids go through like dating, death of a pet, playing sports for school and many others. Even though it tackles some tricky subjects the show is always funny and shows how funny kids can be. Bill Cosby is also fantastic as Cliff and the way he works and talks to the kids is hillarious. The show was a huge success in America and was groundbreaking for the time as it was the first programme on tv to show a professional black middle class family. It showed people and the tv industry that black people didn't need to be shown as poor and working class to make a good programme. The show wasn't as big in Britain but those who did see it loved it. The only reason I haven't given it 5 stars is I know that the series gets even better during the next 7 seasons and hopefully they will bring the rest out on region 2 quickly. The first season contains 24 episodes and each episode is around 25 minutes, there are no extras which is a shame but the set still represents good value for money. The Cosby Show is a fine piece of 80s American comedy and deserves to be watched by everyone.

The Goon Show Classics: He's Fallen in the Water! (Previously Volume 11) (BBC Radio Collection)
by Spike Milligan
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars The Goons at their very best, 18 May 2008
I was given this CD for my 13th birthday by my dad who had always been a Goons fan since he was young. At first I wasn't that sure about the Goons because it was a radio comedy and it was first aired in the 50's. However, these views were quickly dismissed after listening to the first story the great string robbery. The combined talents of Spike Milligan, Peter Sallas and Harry Schombe are simply umatchable and extremely funny. I couldn't believe that these stories had been written in the 50s as the plots are insane and crazy and are so far ahead of their time that I don't think we have caught up yet. This CD has the stories The Great String Robbery, The white Nedie Trade, The Spon plauge and the Mountain Eaters each runs for about 30 mins and each has 2 music intervals like most 50s radio shows. The string Robbery and The Spon Plauge are the best on the CD with plots like the middle bit of a piece of string being stolen and a disease whose symptoms are bare knees. This CD is an excellent starting point to get into the Goons, which it did for me and I have become a die hard fan because of this CD. I cannot recommend this excellent radio comedy enougth.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 8, 2008 2:55 PM BST