Profile for Blobby20 > Reviews

Content by Blobby20

Blobby20 "Paul Evans" (LYTHAM ST ANNES, LANCASHIRE United Kingdom)

Squaddie: A Soldier's Story
Squaddie: A Soldier's Story
by Steven McLaughlin

4.0 out of 5 stars Review of Squaddie, 17 Nov 2013
After being recommended Clubland UK by a friend and enjoying that, I bought Squaddie. The title, cover and blurb suggests it is a young man's story about soldiering and war. It is; but it is also a story about humanity and how, no matter how low you can get or how badly you are treated by the world, you can survive. It carries a message of optimism sadly lacking in these times and despite its awful subject - which is inevitably war - I found its ultimate message very uplifting.

Clubland UK: On the Door in the Rave Era
Clubland UK: On the Door in the Rave Era
by Steven McLaughlin

4.0 out of 5 stars Review of Clubland UK, 25 Aug 2013
I heard about this book by word of mouth. I enjoy true crime autobiographies on the whole but I do find it tiresome about 'how hard' the author is and 'I battered him' and 'I did that (heroic feat)...'. Not so here - Mr McLaughlin gives an honest account of his experience on the doors during the Rave era with a refreshing honesty that is missing from this genre. I was moved by his story.

A Matter Of Blood: The Dog-Faced Gods Book One (DOG-FACED GODS TRILOGY)
A Matter Of Blood: The Dog-Faced Gods Book One (DOG-FACED GODS TRILOGY)
by Sarah Pinborough

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of A Matter of Blood, 20 Sep 2012
I first discovered Sarah Pinborough's work thanks to Waterstones Manchester Deansgate, who had a copy of Breeding Ground on the shelves of what (once anyway - not so much now) was a really decent selection of horror books. It peaked my interest so I bought it, enjoyed it, and bought another. Then another. When A Matter of Blood came out I was at first delighted but then irritated because it was book 1 of a trilogy and I hate those because by the time book 2 comes out a year later, I would have read 100-150 books in-between...so I generally have forgotten what book 1 was about. So I sighed, put book 1 on my shelf with a view to reading the trilogy in one go 2 years hence. However as I put it on the shelf I decided to have a quick browse....curiosity, you know? And beggar me if 3 nights later I hadn't broken my own rule on trilogies and finished it. So fast forward to book 2. I bought it, and figured may as well read it now since book 1 is read...but to my surprise, even though I'd read the predicted 100-150 books in-between the plot, characters and schemes of book 1 were all fresh in my mind like I'd only finished it yesterday. And so although it was over 1 year later when I started reading book 2, A Matter of Blood had been soooo good it felt like I was reading them straight after each other. For me, any book that has the power to do that deserves 5 stars. I hope this review is helpful. If you bother to read these things Miss Pinborough - congrats on a fantastic trilogy.

The Armageddon Rag
The Armageddon Rag
by George R.R. Martin

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of Armageddon Rag, 18 Sep 2012
This review is from: The Armageddon Rag (Hardcover)
I first read this book in November 1984 when New English Library published it as a UK paperback original...glossy black cover, electric guitar, bolts of lightning....I was 14 and loved it. When I saw the hardcover reprint I pulled it off the shelf, dusted it off, and read it again...18 years older it was even better. That's all I really want to say - a fantastic book. I recommend to anyone who wants something different.

Hard Landing (The 1st Spider Shepherd Thriller)
Hard Landing (The 1st Spider Shepherd Thriller)

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of Hard Landing, 6 Sep 2012
Super book, and a great start to what has turned out to be a tremendous series. Thoroughly recommended to anybody who enjoys an original action thriller with intelligence.

Short Fuses (Four free short stories)
Short Fuses (Four free short stories)

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of Short Fuses, 31 Aug 2012
Having had such fun with the Inspector Zhang short stories, I decided to give Short Fuses a go on the ferry over to the Isle of Man. Usually such trips are spent with me being sick as a dog for four hours and a stone lighter when I land than when I left. To be fair to the ferry service I was still ill (well done boys), but significantly less than usual. This could be due to the bucket of travel pills I took before I left, better travelling conditions than normal, or the fantastic time I had locked away in Stephen Leather's imagination for the journey. One will never know for sure but a certainty is that I shall be travelling back with the author's latest novel (False Friends) in my rucksack...just to be safe. These tales were a delight.

Inspector Zhang Goes To Harrogate (a short story)
Inspector Zhang Goes To Harrogate (a short story)

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspector Zhang Goes To Harrogate (a short story), 26 Aug 2012
I hate Kindle and e-books. You can't accidentally drop them in the bath when having a soak; on holiday you leave them by your sunbed whilst you go for a drink and a kindle gets robbed. Most of all though, Kindle just doesn't have the same feel of a book. So I avoid the downloads, and miss out on great stories as a result. I nearly missed this one. Fortunately my wife, who like me is a long time fan of this author - and who also doesn't share my e-book distaste - badgered me and badgered me until I read it. I've been a Leather fan since 1992. What has kept me buying is the superb 'straight out of today's headlines' plots, realistic and fallible characters, and edge of the seat action that - literally - makes me want to never stop reading. How Mr Leather packed all these qualities into a short story I will never understand, but he did. And he may well be the reason I ask for a Kindle for Christmas, damn him. If, like me, you hate e-readers, do what I did and try this excellent short story. I will certainly be downloading the rest of the Inspector Shang stories I enjoyed this one so much.

Bad Signs
Bad Signs
by R.J. Ellory

5.0 out of 5 stars Bad Signs - R J Ellory, 2 Nov 2011
This review is from: Bad Signs (Hardcover)
I've never been one to write volumes to explain why I enjoy a book, and I rarely make the effort to write a review. Others do it better and clearly enjoy writing their thoughts better than I - I tend to leave them to it. However, like the reviewer before me, I was lucky enough to get my hands on a proof copy of Bad Signs and enjoyed it so much I e mailed the author to tell him what I thought. I never do that, so I asked myself why I felt compelled to do so. Which was simply this: I started Bad Signs after work one Friday night. I didn't move from the chair other than to eat, drink and sleep (to my wife's dismay) until the Sunday afternoon when I finished it. I have not enjoyed a book so much this year, possibly this decade - and I read, usually, two books a week and listen to another couple on unabridged audio. If you read this, Mr Ellory - thank you very much indeed for a fantastic weekend.

Wolfsangel
Wolfsangel
by M.D. Lachlan

5.0 out of 5 stars Wolfsangel Review, 15 Oct 2010
This review is from: Wolfsangel (Paperback)
I'll be honest: I bought this book for 3 reasons. A) the brilliant artwork B) the fact the author was comparable to Joe Abercrombie who rocks C) the plotline - any work about Vikings and Werewolves has simply got to be read because it is such a cool idea. I settled down with the book on a Friday afternoon and, the next thing 6 hours had passed and I'm totally engrossed. I am forever reading reviews about how gripping a book it, how "I couldn't put it down" or "I'll be up til dawn with it" and it's always been nonsense. Until now. I literally didn't stop reading until it was done bar to brew up and make a pot noodle. My wife went mental. I was late for work the next day. I won't give any of the plot or style away, but I can honestly say I have not read such an enjoyable book this new century. I can't wait for the next one....