2 of 2 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars
Stylish and full of features, 17 Mar 2009
I came to buy a satnav system after using a couple (TomTom and Garmin)and being left utterly bored by them.
The Navigon 2210 will pleasantly surprise you and it definitely boasts many advantages over its competition:
- Good design: if you like your gadgets, you will love the casing with metal trim (not to mention the fact that it's so small) and the look of the software: finally an interface that looks engaging, even at its entry level (love the map design, direction/road section and logo reproductions for things like petrol stations, hotels, etc.).
- Extra features: some features that are still considered premium deliverables by other manufacturers are here included as standard. This allows you to use lane-assist, reality view for large junctions, speed assistance, traffic control and speed camera information, plus a few other little features.
Navigon are definitely raising the bar here, while looking at interesting new features as the NEW extras for the market.
- Easy to use and very reactive upon route change (it recalculates a new route very quickly).
The minor negatives I have seen after a couple of months are:
- Speed limits are sometimes inaccurate.
- Some out of date POIs, even on recent maps (the point above may be down to map inaccuracies too)
- The advised route is not always the most practical, although I have the impression that the system can "learn" better options (but that remains to be confirmed. A learn feature would however be very useful for the whole user base).
- It would be nice to be able to configure the type of warning that is given for speed cameras (I think TomTom's beep is more effective than the navigation voice calling "Traffic Control").
- Finally, a case should be included with the initial purchase (I had to buy one separately).
So overall a very big thumbs up for Navigon: I get the impression this is yet another example of good German technology. The downsides are more enhancement suggestions and nothing that cannot be improved over time.
I am holding on to my Navigon!