Profile for Mr. E. J. Webb > Reviews

Content by Mr. E. J. Webb

Mr. E. J. Webb "acideddy"

World Without End
World Without End
by Ken Follett
Price: 8.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting and entrancing read!, 29 Jun 2010
This review is from: World Without End (Paperback)
I had never read any Ken Follett books but, having recently got into Bernard Cornwell, I read a review saying that if I liked Bernard Cornwell, I would like The Pillars of the Earth and World Without End.

World Without End is a worthy second book in the series. You dont need to have read the first book, Pillars of the Earth, before reading it but I found it deepened my enjoyment of the book. This second book is set a couple of hundred years on and I found myself enjoying knowing more than the characters about the history of their environment and the people that had gone before them.

I was initially put off by people complaining about this author being 'guilty of over writing', repeating things and excessive description. Also that the book was too long. However, I totally disagree! Now I usually like fast paced novels, quick information and complex changing plots with twists and turns. This book certainly isn't like that but a was hooked after just a few pages. The book never feels laboured or boring, despite being 1200 pages long it is a real page turner and I felt so enchanted by the story and gripped to read more.

There is only one thing wrong with this novel, despite being 1200 pages long, it isnt long enough for me and I need to find another similar read now!

One final thing, if you are put off because it appears to be about cathedrals and religion, and religion isnt your thing, dont let that stop you. That side of life doesnt interest me either and you dont need to be in the slightest in order to enjoy this book.

Ravensburger Puzzle 18,240 Pieces 4 Historic World Maps
Ravensburger Puzzle 18,240 Pieces 4 Historic World Maps

4.0 out of 5 stars Took a long time!, 5 Jan 2008
I dedicated a room to this toy! It took me six months to complete, doing about 2 hours a night. Maybe I should get a girlfriend or a life??? Do I feel a sense of a achievement?? No, a little sad actually. I should have saved this until I had retired. I peaked to soon.....

Actually, the peices fit together very well. Dont underestimate how long this will take you. I found the corner peices and edges first. That alone took me 2 weeks with over 18,000 peices to sift through!

Sad thing is, when I finished it, my cat ran accross it and it took me a week to put it right!!

Good fun though, if you have nothing else better to do.

I dont think I will do it again for a while.

Go for it though if you are single or just love jigsaws.

Good luck!

The Millionaires
The Millionaires
by Brad Meltzer

5.0 out of 5 stars The Millionaires - Better than Grisham! (in my opinion), 11 July 2004
This review is from: The Millionaires (Paperback)
As someone who seems to have little time for reading books I found that this book demanded I make time to read it. Having read many John Grisham books I was bought the Millionaires by Brad Meltzer as a present.
I found the book very gripping and fast paced. The book never became boring as the authors style combined with many surprises and twists and turns were a recipe for an exciting read.
This was my first book by the author. Since then I have gone on to read 'The First Counsel' by the author which was also an excellent book.
If you like Grisham you will like Brad Meltzer. Buy it now!