Profile for American Noob > Reviews

XCOM Enemy Unknown (PS3)
Offered by SC-WHOLESALE

5.0 out of 5 stars The return of a classic, 15 Oct 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Not much that I can add to the excellent reviews posted so far. I was a huge fan of Terror from the deep and the original Laser Squad on the Amiga. I have been waiting patiently for a decent remake of either game. XCom enemy unknown comes pretty close.
Sure certain things like the base building have been streamlined and the maps are not randomly generated (though alien placement is), but the game is also less unfair than the orignial XCOMs (Grenade spamming aliens anyone?) and requires much less mirco management (e.g. ensuring your team members face the right way is now automatic).
If you want to feel the tension of the original game then (whatever difficulty you chose to play) be sure to play in Ironman mode (which like Demon Souls saves the game constantly so you can not undo your mistakes). Also customise your team as this will really make you care about keeping them alive (I still wish Barry Chuckle was leading my team).
In a nutshell get the demo off the PSN store if you enjoy that you will love the full game.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, 20 Jun 2012
Just received this chest of drawers, and am very pleased with it. I ordered it to put baby clothes in. It's good quality, and the finish is good. It's a tad smaller than I expected, but that's my fault for not looking at the measurements properly. The item was delivered really fast and free of charge, so you can't beat that. Very satisfied and would definitely order from this company again.

I'm Not Really Here
I'm Not Really Here
by Paul Lake

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Reading, 18 Aug 2011
This review is from: I'm Not Really Here (Hardcover)
I read this book after stumbling across Paul Lake being interviewed on five 5. I grew up in Manchester in the 80's as a Liverpool fan, but as my brothers were big City fans, I was often in the Kippax watching City during the time Paul was on the rise. Along with likes White, and Brightwell; Paul Lake was something of a hero in our house. My brothers always felt more confident if his name was on the team sheet. He was a class act, and as my brothers Inspiral Carpets t-shirt read at the time `cool as f**k` I was still quite young when Paul got injured and must admit that I knew very little of what became of him after about 1991.
I have read many footballer autobiographies in recent years, non of which are a patch on this. His complete honesty to the reader of both the good times, and the bad was a very moving experience (I read the book in one sitting unable to put it down for longer than 5 minutes). At times it felt like I was intruding on very private and personal thoughts which must have been difficult to put out there, but give an excellent insight into the psychological processes attached to a serious football injury. This is not the norm of a footballer book but I felt very privileged to have heard Paul's story.
If Paul should ever read this review then I would like to wish him all the best, and thank him for some great memories.

Call of Duty: Black Ops (PS3)
Call of Duty: Black Ops (PS3)
Offered by GAMES CONSOLES BARGAIN

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Mindless Fun, 23 Jun 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I have never been a COD player, and have always prefered Socom, so I cannot compare it with other COD games, it does seem to me though that COD4 is what Socom II is to Socom fans.
I bought Black Ops so I could play Zombies online with a friend in the UK. Killing Zombies with friends is a lot of fun and being able to co-op with my friend and his wife on one PS3 and me on another PS3, is great and this type of option should be in more games.
Single player (I played through it while PSN was down) is disjoined and not much fun, go from point A to point B, rinse and repeat. If the PSN had been working I would not have played past the first few levels.
Mutliplayer, is not realistic and very arcadey (which is not a bad thing if you know what you are getting), but for 1-2 hour bursts it is a lot of fun. Leave you brain at the door and run about shooting people is a nice way to relax. The maps are also very good with lots of places to go, and different ways into the same areas so that camping is not so easy. I have not tried playing as a sniper in this game, but expect it would be pretty difficult to find a decent hiding place.
As for hackers and glitchers, I have not really noticed anything yet, but I have not really been looking.

In short the multiplayer is well thought out and fun with friends, single player is a joke. Well worth playing if your gaming time is limited and you just want to chill out for a few hours after work.

by William Roberts

3.0 out of 5 stars 555, 30 May 2009
This review is from: 555 (Paperback)
Without wanting to give the plot away this is a political thriller, set in the near future, in thee aftermath of an `incident` in a small English town. The story unfolds around the main protagonist (Phil King)a seemingly normal man. His search for the truth about what actually happened to his town and his life becomes a desperate struggle against the myterious 555.
I enjoyed the book in general, good pacing and a well thought out plot, the 3 stars is for some characterization issues.

Unreal Tournament 2004 (PC/CD-ROM 6 Disc Version)
Unreal Tournament 2004 (PC/CD-ROM 6 Disc Version)

5.0 out of 5 stars Review from playing the Demo, 2 Mar 2004
I have never played online games before this, and all I can say is that you must buy this it is what game playing is all about. I have only Played the Onslaught mode but I don't think it gets any better than 16 aside madness. Which ever way you enjoy shooting and maming people, you will be well catered for here. From hiding in the hills and using sniper shots, to running aroung like a nutter with a minigun. If you are particular angry you might also want to try to get into the ships and buggies and just mow those poor suckers down!! I think this is a great game, even the people you play with have a wicked sense of humour, buy this game now!!!!!!