Profile for PhilB > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Outeredge Cycling Bag - Black, 23 Litre
Outeredge Cycling Bag - Black, 23 Litre

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic bag!, 20 Mar. 2015
I've been using this for commuting and shopping for a couple of months now and I absolutely love it. It got seriously tested when I had a troublesome puncture during a rainstorm of biblical proportions. The bag, which was half full of shopping, remained safely attached despite the bike spending lots of time upside down as the wheel came on and off. All my shopping remained completely dry (I wish I could say the same about myself) so I'm happy to declare it 100% waterproof.
As regards size, I use a 23 litre Shugon high viz backpack to carry my laptop, coffee, waterproofs, etc on the train. I can load this up then just drop it straight into the pannier in about 2 seconds to save carrying on my back whilst cycling. Bliss.

SEBSON® GU10 LED 5W, warm white (3000K), 35W Halogen Bulbs Equivalent, 380lm, 10 Pack
Offered by SEBSON

5.0 out of 5 stars Brighter than 50W Halogen, 13 Dec. 2013
Having tried some early LED GU10s I was nervous about buying these, but I needn't have worried. The 'warm white' light isn't as yellow as the halogens these bulbs replaced, but is still pleasant and much less harsh than the usual blue white. Having seen how bright these bulbs are and how well spread the light is, I could probably have got away with the 4W LEDs instead (which are somewhat cheaper), but if you can run lights as economically as this why not enjoy it? Best of all, no more rushing round after the kids turning off the lights they've left on!

35w Energy Saving Spiral Light Bulb, 175w Equivalent Very Bright, Bayonet Cap B22, New Advanced T3 Technology Instant Light
Offered by Strictly Lamps

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely bright, warm light, 6 Dec. 2013
In response to the guy with a meter, low energy bulbs draw much more power when first switched on so it quite possibly did move his meter to the same level as an incandescent - but that should rapidly fall back as it gets into its stride.

This bulb lights instantly (no staggering in the dark waiting for it to wake up) and gives a light which is warm, bright and even. Reading to the kids is now a delight rather than a strain on the eyes and I will definitely be buying more of these.

Gul Gamma Waterproof Jacket, Navy/Red - Large
Gul Gamma Waterproof Jacket, Navy/Red - Large
Offered by Big Orange Watersports Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job beautifully, 20 Nov. 2013
Wore this over an Aldi winter cycling top (much cheaper than a specific kayaking base layer) for kayaking on the River Fowey in November. Comfortable and kept me dry and warm. With the neck seal open I had no problem with sweating / overheating and when closed it kept out the major rainstorms that kept hitting me. Pocket kept my car keys, etc dry. All in all I'm absolutely delighted for the price.

Assorted Hand Sewing Needles 50 pack
Assorted Hand Sewing Needles 50 pack
Offered by The Quilted Bear Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed, 20 Nov. 2013
Good range of sizes, sharp and seem robust enough. Only minor gripe is that it is hard to pull individual needles out of the pack for use - if you had arthritic fingers youd probably want to pull out the whole lot and store in a box or pincushion

INFANTRY Military Black NATO Watch Band Nylon Fabric Strap G10 4 Rings 20mm Divers Heavy Duty Strong
Offered by Infantry_Co

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for watersports, 16 Oct. 2013
Over the years I have probably spent a lot more on straps for my diving watch than I did on the watch itself. The rubber / plastic ones crack, 'waterproof' leather ones disintegrate in the sea water (especially the keepers), metal ones dig into your wrist when kayaking.
This is a nice, simple and, I would say, elegant strap made of comfortable, heavy duty webbing that looks as though it should last and should have no problems at all with salt water. The best feature are the keepers for the end of the strap. On past straps these have always been the first part to fail. These ones appear pretty well bomb proof. A great buy.

(XL) TWF Fin Socks. 3mm Neoprene Wetsuit sock for bodyboard or snorkelling fins / flippers. Full Range Of Sizes
Offered by Funswim Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't trust the sizes!, 16 Oct. 2013
Reasonable neoprene socks at a good price, but way too narrow. I know I have wide feet, so I bought the size 9 to 10 despite taking a size 8 wide shoe. Luckily these weren't wasted as they are a good fit for my wife's size 5 feet. I tried again with the size 11 to 12 and these are just about wide enough. Do people in China (or wherever these are made) really have such long thin feet? I thought foot bandaging died out years ago?

Yellowstone Set of 3 Camping Lights
Yellowstone Set of 3 Camping Lights

1.0 out of 5 stars 2 broken and one dim, 23 Sept. 2013
Two of the three didn't work at all. The third lit up eventually, after a lot of fiddling with the batteries, and provided a perfect light for an intimate dinner with someone really ugly. Certainly nowhere near enough light to read by unless you actually hold it on its side on the book. They were also much bigger than expected. Zero stars for the product. Five stars for Amazon's excellent refund service.

Orange Safety Whistle - 5 Pack - with Zip-Pouch
Orange Safety Whistle - 5 Pack - with Zip-Pouch
Offered by LightStock

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 23 Sept. 2013
Does the job for a great price - what's not to like? Seem to be robust and loud enough. Clips onto a lifejacket strap easily enough.

AnySharp Global World's Best Knife Sharpener (Classic)
AnySharp Global World's Best Knife Sharpener (Classic)

5.0 out of 5 stars It is SO nice to have sharp knives again, 9 May 2013
I struggled on with just a steel for years, After using a friends knives that really were sharp I knew that something had to be done and so I chose this little gadget based on the reviews. All my 20 year old Sabatiers are know sharp enough to shave with and a joy to use.
I suspect the previous reviewer who complained about how much metal was being removed from his knives must have been using knives with fairly soft blades as it takes hardly anything off mine.
It takes a little practice to sharpen all the way along the curve of the blade to the tip, but once you have the knack it is fine. The only thing it couldn't do was the last inch of my boning knife nearest the handle as the handle gets in the way.

Page: 1 | 2