Profile for Geraldine Powell > Reviews

Content by Geraldine Powell

Geraldine Powell (United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Circus Parade Lunch Box
Circus Parade Lunch Box

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this lunch box, 4 May 2013
No faults with this at all. I use it for various foods, including pasta, rice, sandwiches, salads and yoghurt with fruit and it is consistently good. You do need to ensure the lid is adequately fixed, but that is common sense. Watertight and functional, as well as environmentally friendly as you don't throw anything away. I can't remember if this was suitable for dishwashers, however we always wash plastic by hand to prevent warping, so can't comment on that. I often get compliments about how kitsch this is, and it is still in the same condition as when I bought it, so longevity is definitely a positive point.

I Love London Lunchbox
I Love London Lunchbox
Offered by Dotcomgiftshop

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product for lunch in work, 4 May 2013

New Trent Power Rock Case with Extended Rechargeable Battery Juice Case 2100mAh for IPHONE 4 4S (IMP210B/NT210B)

4.0 out of 5 stars Happy with my purchase, 4 May 2013
I must have had a decent product judging by some of the reviews on here. The iPhone 4S battery is not the best in comparison to my BlackBerry, but I expected as much because of the extra screen surface area coupled with extra use. I think the best thing about this is that you can charge it independently of the actual phone. I also think that the fact that this unit has enabled me to continue using my universal charger (i.e. the one I used for my BlackBerry, Kindle and the one my husband uses for his phone) is a huge positive.

So far, so good. It was also on offer as buy one get one free and came with a screen protector which was a bonus. It does add some bulk and weight, but I quite like that as it feels sturdy and I trust it not to let the phone come to any harm.

My only negative is that even with the charge on the case AND the iPhone, it still feels like I can barely get through 36 hours without charging, but that could be down to my usage.

Is it Just Me?
Is it Just Me?
by Miranda Hart

5.0 out of 5 stars No, Miranda, it is not., 8 April 2013
This review is from: Is it Just Me? (Hardcover)
This book is a great, easy read, but it is also laugh-out-loud funny too. It's a teeny bit moving in parts, but mostly, it's just one of those books that has you nodding away in agreement and feeling like you're not the only one. It's also quite inspirational in a lovely, understated way. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and would say that any fans of Miranda will, too. You can hear her distinct tones as you read to yourself. I read, what I call, the best bits out to my husband and it tickled him too. Recommended.

One Day
One Day

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking, really breathtaking., 6 Feb 2011
This review is from: One Day (Kindle Edition)
Wow. I finished this book earlier and it struck me how much I wanted to read it but how much I didn't want to finish it. I agree with other reviewers who have commented on the feeling that you really know the characters, even though you are effectively getting a snapshot of their lives.

It's such a great story, and literally made me laugh out loud and also weep with emotion. I think that if you've ever loved anyone so much that it hurt, you will really appreciate this book. Well worth a read.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful shoes, 13 April 2010
I have been toying with buying these for a while now, as there is, I think, always a slight uncertainty with purchasing clothing and shoes from the internet without trying them on first. I needn't have been so apprehensive. I have just received the black version and worn them to work today where I had compliments from two colleagues. They seem well made and are extremely comfortable. I am seriously considering buying at least the tan pair now as they look just as gorgeous!

A Million Little Pieces
A Million Little Pieces
by James Frey

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantasy or fiction? I think it works whatever it is..., 13 Jan 2010
Previous reviewers have remarked that this book's content are fantastical, whimsy and largely untrue. I have never been addicted to anything and had to fight that addiction, so I suppose I can't comment on the validity of the text. What I will say though, having certain 'guilty pleasures', is that something rings true about what Frey says. There doesn't need to be an affinity with God, religion or other programmes designed by individuals to enable you to put your life back on track.

This book, for me, was well written, emotional, descriptive and, ironically, addictive. If something is inspiring or enjoyable without being factually accurate, well, I guess that's fine with me. The beauty of reviews is that they are representative for you only. If one person buys or reads this book because of a positive review, then that can only be a good thing. I would hate to think that someone didn't because others deemed it not in line with the truth. I cannot comment on what James Frey did, or did not, go through but this book in no way glorifies the use of drugs or alcohol; it simply illustrates how strong a person can be with the help of people around them.

If this is fiction, it is great. If it is fact, it is harrowing, but it is still great.

Disgrace
Disgrace
by J M Coetzee

5.0 out of 5 stars Brave and contextual writing., 13 Nov 2008
This review is from: Disgrace (Paperback)
J.M. Coetzee has managed, as many good authors do, to completely immerse the reader in what goes on in the book and its often uncomfortable surroundings. The characters have depth and are well described and the main character, although potentially unlikeable, seemed to grow ever dearer to my heart the more I read.

Set in a time of unrest and uncertainty, the book deals with many themes that may often not be the most easy to explore. We go deep into David Lurie's (the main character) sense of self and intimate thoughts, and true to life, they are not always easy to accept.

I was both interested and moved by this novel, as one always should be. The writing style, although eloquent, is not over-complicated and therefore will appeal to a wider audience. The settings are atmospheric and lucid, which serves to create a reality in which the reader is ensconced.

Every Dead Thing
Every Dead Thing
by John Connolly

4.0 out of 5 stars Bird has me hooked!, 29 April 2008
This review is from: Every Dead Thing (Paperback)
My mother has been raving about John Connolly for some time now. I read Bad Men about two years ago, and liked it, but it was not part of the series in which Charlie Parker is involved, so I was not obliged to read any more. Then, in an odd occurrence which took place in the back of my mother's Volvo, I was drawn in to the world of Charlie 'Bird' Parker.

For Christmas, I bought my mother one of John Connolly's latest offerings: The Book of Lost Things. In typical family tradition, the book remained in my house for a few months before I got around to giving it to her. I took it with me on a shopping trip one Sunday so that I could leave it in the car for her when she dropped me at my house later that day.

Just before she got to my house, I happened to flick through the book and read the dedication. It turned out that the book was dedicated to someone I had known in a previous life, and to cut a long story short, through contact with John Connolly through his website, I regained contact with her.

Anyway, enough of the namedropping. I decided to read the first in the series of Charlie Parker books, and finished this first one this morning on the flight back from Pisa. I am hooked.

I will say that the book takes a while to really get going and also the sheer volume of characters and police-related acronyms makes it hard going at first, but once the story kicks in, there is simply no turning back. The attention to detail is great and everything is described enough to make you set the scene in your head perfectly. The setting for a great deal of the story, New Orleans and the surrounding area, feels so fitting for the nature of the tale. Fans of Poppy Z Brite will certainly appreciate this book - it occurred to me while reading this book that there are various similarities in both authors' penchant for the swamps and graphically described killings.

I cannot wait to start on the next novel in the set and see where Bird takes me next time.

Destinations: A Travel Journal (Hit the Road)
Destinations: A Travel Journal (Hit the Road)
by Chronicle Books
Edition: Leather Bound

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this if you were expecting carte blanche for your notes, 15 Jan 2008
I bought this book before you were able to view inside it and perhaps that is why it fell so short of my expectations. I wanted a travel journal to scribble my thoughts and feelings no matter what time of the day or night during my recent journey to Thailand. I also wanted to carry on in the book for my next trip. This book is for one trip and it dictates what you put in it. If this is what you want, by all means, go ahead and get it. If, like me, you simply want to record the best bits of your holiday and attach anything you like to the pages, I'd give it a miss.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 21, 2009 7:25 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3