Profile for Mr. Rdl Carrick > Reviews

Content by Mr. Rdl Carrick

Mr. Rdl Carrick "Captain zippo flint"

Page: 1 | 2
Hitler's Vienna: A Dictator's Apprenticeship
Hitler's Vienna: A Dictator's Apprenticeship
by Brigitte Hamann

5.0 out of 5 stars this is the best book I have read on Adolf Hitler, 12 Feb. 2015
Having just re-read this book, I thought it might be timely to provide my own review. As an avid student of National Socialism, I found this book to be absolutely fascinating, providing me with many previously unknown facts about young Hitler. Most interesting were the details of the virulently Nationalistic and anti-semitic luminaries of the age, who clearly had so much influence on Hitler the politician. Together with Kershaw's biography, this is the best book I have read on Adolf Hitler. If you already have a deep understanding of the period, then each page is a goldmine of relevant and pertinent facts. Outstanding!

Lustmord: Sexual Murder in Weimar Germany
Lustmord: Sexual Murder in Weimar Germany
by Maria Tatar

4.0 out of 5 stars Betters our understanding of Weimar Germany, 8 Mar. 2014
As a long-time fan of German social history, I was keen to get my hands on this book. It is a well researched tome, offering new perspectives on life in Weimar Germany, and the perceptions of women at the time. Much has been written about the rise of Nazism, the effect of the Depression, the Roaring twenties etc. - this book broadened my understanding of the way in which women were seen in society. As a side-effect, it made me want to seek out more books on the infamous German mass murderers of the time.
If you are interested in the inter-War period in Germany, then I can recommend this book.

With the Carriers in Korea: Fleet Air Arm Story, 1950-53
With the Carriers in Korea: Fleet Air Arm Story, 1950-53
by John R.P. Lansdown

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent, well researched book, 8 Mar. 2014
Excellent, comprehensive study of the Carrier Air War in Korea, with particular emphasis on the Fleet Air Arm of the Royal Navy. One of the better books available on this subject.

Horten Ho229 "Spirit of Thuringia": The Luftwaffe's All-wing Jet Fighter
Horten Ho229 "Spirit of Thuringia": The Luftwaffe's All-wing Jet Fighter
by Andrei Shepelev

5.0 out of 5 stars best book ever printed on the Ho229, 22 Feb. 2014
Not much I can say, except that this is the best book ever printed on the 229. The David Myhra books were OK, but filled with errors and false information - this book is without doubt the most meticulously researched and accurate account to date. Unreservedly recommended, and now reprinted! (February 2014) - I recommend you grab a copy before it sells out again!

The Beasts of Buchenwald: Karl & Ilse Koch, Human-Skin Lampshades, and the War-Crimes Trial of the Century (Buchenwald Trilogy)
by Flint Whitlock

4.0 out of 5 stars interesting book, 22 Feb. 2014
I bought this book as I wished to know more about the mindset of the perpetrators of the Holocaust. It is a good, basic account of the life and death of Karl & Ilse Koch - in terms of social history, it doesn't go into enough detail for me (there are much better and more detailed books about the 'bureaucrats' who enabled the Holocaust to happen, such as Browning's 'Ordinary Men', and also many more detailed accounts of life in Buchenwald, Auschwitz etc) - having said that, it is a decent book.

Soaring Underground: A Young Fugitive's Life in Nazi Berlin
Soaring Underground: A Young Fugitive's Life in Nazi Berlin
by Larry Orbach

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book, couldn't stop reading it, 22 Feb. 2014
Like the other reviewers here, I saw this book referenced in 'Berlin at War' by Roger Moorehouse. It's a gripping account of a Jewish boy hiding out in Wartime Berlin, and is so well written that I couldn't put it down. Extremely relevant for those interested in German social history. There are one or two small errors (the author makes a reference to the July '44 plotters and 'General' Von Stauffenberg, and also alludes to Anne Frank being German) but these are neither here nor there. Highly recommended.

Berlin at War: Life and Death in Hitler's Capital, 1939-45
Berlin at War: Life and Death in Hitler's Capital, 1939-45
by Roger Moorhouse

5.0 out of 5 stars riveting read, 21 Sept. 2011
If you are at all interested in Nazism and German Social history then this book is highly recommended - full of facts that were previously unknown to me. Moorhouse is clearly well informed about his chosen field & writes in a clear, concise manner. I would definitely suggest that you add this book to your library.

Masters of Death: The SS-Einsatzgruppen and the Invention of the Holocaust
Masters of Death: The SS-Einsatzgruppen and the Invention of the Holocaust
by Richard Rhodes

5.0 out of 5 stars a must read book on the third reich, 8 Jan. 2011
I got this book for Christmas & read it in a couple of days - it's an essential addition to the collection of anyone interested in genocide, ethnic cleansing, the Third Reich, social history or the Holocaust. The most disturbing aspect of this book, (as was again evident in Browning's 'Ordinary Men'), is that there is a darkness in all of us - it just takes the right trigger to release it. The author provides an interesting examination of how killers are created, and looks at the Holocaust from an angle I hadn't previously considered - this interweaving of humanism and psychology into the horrific recounting of the facts makes the book all the more terrible - some parts you have to read again because you can't believe it, some of the numbers of deaths are so large you cannot compute it in your mind, which makes this work a powerful one. For the most part the author remains impartial, but once or twice his obvious disgust and anger shows through.

I would recommend this book as it doesn't hold back from describing exactly what happened in the occupied Eastern territories, and I would say it is a 'must read' for students of Nazism.

Jennings Goes To School
Jennings Goes To School
by Anthony Buckeridge

5.0 out of 5 stars wizard show old bean, 14 Oct. 2010
timeless classics the Jennings series - I too read these at school aged maybe 10 or 11 and remember laughing my head off, especially as I went to a private school & could empathize with all the high japes. Makes me wish I was a schoolboy in the 1950s, fishing for tadpoles in the school lake!

The Downfall Of Berlin - Anonyma [DVD] [2008]
The Downfall Of Berlin - Anonyma [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Max Farberbock
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars realistic but over long, 5 Aug. 2010
Just finished watching this film, and I have to say it's well made if a little too long. It's a realistic portrayal of what happened all over Berlin, and indeed Germany at the end of WWII to thousands of women - namely rape and humiliation at the hands of the victorious Red Army. The costumes, depictions of Berlin streets, and weapons/equipment used are faithfully depicted - so you have actual T-34s and GAZ jeeps on the Russian side, which as a historian I always appreciate - I tend to dismiss films that cheat and use disguised American tanks etc. (even though I was a little apprehensive about Corsairs battling Zeros on the front sleeve - why??) My pedantic observations aside, this is a good effort, and a worthy addition to the stable of recent German war films such as 'Downfall' - indeed I recognised a few actors here and there - the woman who played Eva Braun in 'Downfall', and a guy who was in 'Valkyrie' being a case in point. The lead actress plays here role quite well. This isn't an all out action film by any means, but it's worth a watch if you like 20th Century German history.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 11, 2013 12:52 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2