Profile for Mr. J. R. S. Nicholson > Reviews

Content by Mr. J. R. S. N...

Mr. J. R. S. Nicholson "BoomBoom" (Herne Bay Kent)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Magic 2014
Magic 2014
Price: 0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Fun, 16 May 2014
This review is from: Magic 2014 (App)
Difficulty settings are well thought out in this addictive game. It is compelling and a classic card game which is the mother of all card games.

The Great War: the American Front
The Great War: the American Front
Price: 3.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Very well written Alternative History, 7 Jan 2014
Harry Turtledove has an excellent way to keep a reader engaged in his novels. Fairly short snapshots of all the main characters ensure you keep reading one more page. This style and prose used are addictive and make the novel more enjoyable.

The charaters in the book are beliveable and I found I started bonding with them and each of their tales. I like the way in which he manages to personalise each of the main players and how you get drawn into their history and experiences.

I hate telling how a book plays out and others can tell you more about that than i am prepared to, but I will say to people considering an alternative history book, this will not let you down.

The Light at the End
The Light at the End
Price: 2.23

5.0 out of 5 stars I read this when it first came out in paperback - Brilliant, 21 Nov 2012
I am chuffed to bits that this book is now out for the Kindle. It is one of the best vampire/action books I have ever read. This book was a high water mark for both authors and I would wholeheartedly recommend this to anybody that likes a great story, great characters and an enemy that is as confused with his powers as the "good guys" are.

I have read this several times and still enjoy the book.

When you read this book, remember that it was written in the late 80's and mobile phones were not the common objects they are now. The book starts in the Subways of New York and the brutal murders that capture the headlines.

The antagonist is a former artist Rudy who is turned into a vampire. He master is a cold, callous ancient that gives him no training in how to use his powers or the consequences of not drinking. He simply leaves him to fend for himself or die. That explains why he is confused about his powers as noted by a previous reviewer.

Rudy simply turns to the first person he knew.. his former girlfriend and begins a campaign of terror for her and a group of motley friends linked by a courier firm. They are a motley bunch and believable too which makes this book even better.

I do not want to say too much more, but this book is inspired writing and I urge you to invest in the Kindle version. It really is that good. I do not award 5 stars to most books that I read, but this really is worthy of it. I would give it 6 stars if I could.

The Trespass (An Archaeological Mystery Thriller)
The Trespass (An Archaeological Mystery Thriller)
Price: 1.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A Proper Adventure Story, 12 July 2012
I won't ruin the story for people, but I will say that this book has the lot. Adventure, action, thrills, spills and a pretty good plot that makes this a candidate for a movie.

The pace of the book is measured and Scott Hunter deserves much credit for the way he has written the story. This is a genre filled to overflowing with authors trying their luck and some of them are very hit and miss. This book is very much a hit as far as I am concerned and I recommend that you give it a go.

The subject of the book, Dracup is very much an average Joe, apart from his intelligence. He is not a gun toting, swashbuckling action hero. This makes the book all the more interesting as it makes you wonder what you would so if it was you in his position.

The motivations of the enemies all around Dracup are well explored and again this only enhances the book and the story. The climactic ending is pure made for Movie or TV stuff and will make sure you keep turning the pages until you reach the ending.

Here's to more outings from this author.

The Secret of Hades' Eden
The Secret of Hades' Eden
Price: 0.77

4.0 out of 5 stars Cracking Page Turning stuff, 22 Jun 2012
This is the first novel I have read by this author and it sure won't be the last.

Really enjoyed the novel and from start to finish it was a page turning adventure. I like the charaters of William and Ella, who are the main focus on the story. The bad guys, really are bad guys and the way the author describes the initial meetings between William and some of the incidental characters, you could not be too sure whether they were good guys or bad guys.

There are two plots in the adventure and I won't say too much about them as to do so would ruin a terrific novel. But each one provides its own sub-plot and intrigue.

The action is fast paced and keeps you interested all the way through to the end of the book.

I urge people to try this book if you like well written action and a fairly intelligent plotline.

Give it a go and at the price, you cannot go wrong.

The Unforgiving
The Unforgiving
Price: 9.12

5.0 out of 5 stars The best album for 2012 by a mile, 21 May 2012
This review is from: The Unforgiving (Audio CD)
Well, what can I add to Mr N A Davis's review? Great review.

I can add that this album is by far and away the best album I have heard in 2012. Every track is fantastic and so well written it is beyond my understanding why this band are not better known.

The keyboards through all the tracks are woven into the music and really enhance each song. The ambience of the album is set from the opening narration to the very end track. The excellent Stairway to the Skies.

It is rare to encounter an album so well put together in every way.

Some of the stand out tracks for me are Shot in the Dark, Faster, Iron & Sinead. That being said, I will happily go to my grave knowing that I have heard each and every track on this album... It is quite simply brilliant.

If you only get one album this year as they say... Make it this one.

The Alchemist's Secret
The Alchemist's Secret
Price: 1.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Hope for us all, 20 April 2012
Mariani is an accomplished author in this field and his Ben Hope series is very good indeed. The story starts well and goes on at a fast pace, not too fast though, and each chapter is very easy to read.

This is a very good series to get into and will be a great read on holiday. He makes his characfters believable and Hope is a sort of private sector equivalent to James Bond. He develops throughout the series and we get to meet some constant characters in the books.

I recommend these books to anyone interested in a bit of mystery and plenty of thrills and spills. At the prices on offer for the Kindle, these books are very good value and I urge people to get into them with the first book.

You cannot help but devour these books as they do make for some easy reading that draws you into the world of Ben Hope. Great stuff.

The Cross
The Cross
Price: 1.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite as good as the first, but still a ripping story, 20 April 2012
This review is from: The Cross (Kindle Edition)
After having read the first book, I took to the second one with gusto.

I like Mariani as an author, his books are full of action and leave you wanting more. However, this book, I feel was too much about the action and less about the characters. He brought all the main protagonists together and squashed them into a situation which had plenty of promise.

In the end, it was flawed and I felt didn't make use of the characters he has allowed to develop. It all felt a bit rushed to me and the story suffered for it. I like the idea of a Vampire organisation and even the Uber Vampires bring a new dimension to the myth of all things vampire.

Mariani does have a talent for telling a good story and the first book in this series is a winner, but this second one, is not as good and suffers for what I feel is a rushed tale of vampires and the modern world.

This being said, if he does issue a third in this series, I will probably buy it as I cannot leave these books on this note.

Tomb of the Lost (Peter Dennis Book 1)
Tomb of the Lost (Peter Dennis Book 1)
Price: 0.77

2.0 out of 5 stars Confused and Slightly Disappointed, 19 April 2012
I do not like being harsh about people's efforts when writing and putting a lot of effort into their books.

I bought this as I was searching for a new author for some action and adventure stories.

The book starts off well enough building into the plot and a couple of the main characters for the WW2 slice of the book.

It then goes off to Ancient Alexandria and we enter the world of Julius Ceaser and Cleopatra which in my opinion does not really add to the story or plot lines.

Then we return to the WW2 slice and get carried along with some great characters only to lose them again by coming into the modern setting of the book.

There is a great story in here and perhaps the historical sections could be reduced in length and some of the uneccesary details taken out of the book.

In my opinion, the book only kicks into gear during the last third of the story when we get to meet the subject of the books background as described on the Amazon page. We do not get enough time to explore the characters or understand their motivations for being involved.

I am not sure if this is the first of a series of books and if so, perhaps I will give another one a try. However, it has not been easy to read this one as there are some spelling errors (There are probably some in this review, so not too much of an issue for me) along with formatting issues, but for me the hardest part has been maintaining interest in the story.

Ghost Story: A Dresden Files novel
Ghost Story: A Dresden Files novel
by Jim Butcher

5.0 out of 5 stars Butcher knows what we want, 16 April 2012
This book is writen in the same style as the other DResden Files novels and for my money is one of the best yet.

I am not going to ruin any plot as people should simply read this book and make up their own minds. I loved it and really enjoyed the way Harry is being dragged through Hell and back with each adventure.

Jim Butcher has created a real winning formula here with this series of books ands Ghost Story simply carries on that formula. I love the characters he has brought into Harry's life and the situations he finds himself in are all individual.

He has remained true to the Harry Dresden from book one with each novel and Ghost Story sees Harry having to make some very serious decisions for his and other people's futures. The new characters in this book are aiming for more fun with Harry in later stories, but if Mr Butcher reads any of these reviews, please keep writing Harry Dresden stories. They are fantastic and worth every minute to draw us into his world.

In short, this is a really good book.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3