Profile for Kate > Reviews

Content by Kate

Kate (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Wrong Man (Right and Wrong Book 2)
The Wrong Man (Right and Wrong Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable read., 8 Feb. 2015
I wasn't sure whether to buy this or not as although I loved the Better Than series I didn't enjoy The Right Words quite as much and the only Amazon UK review for this was two stars. But it was the weekend and I wanted something light and enjoyable to read and I know Lane always gives that, so I took a chance. I'm really glad I did. Her writing is definitely maturing and this was a good read all the way through.

It isn't perfect - few books are - but Lane is way above most other authors in this genre and I'd say this is her best book yet, I love seeing how her writing is developing.

This may be second in the series but it easily stands alone and is one I can imagine happily rereading more than once. Mack the dog is a darling, even as a cat person I can imagine falling for him, and Brandon and Jake are both well rounded characters, nothing two dimensional about either of them. A thing I particularly liked is that the early part of their history rang true and that Brandon had genuine reasons for his holding back all those years later, it hadn't just been a silly misunderstanding, and that Jake was aware of that even as he was showing he was no longer that boy.

I wasn't too convinced about the exes turnabouts, but the main plot line was sound and readable and I loved the detailed but not boring descriptions which were very well done.

I'd have liked just a little more depth for 5 stars, shame I can't give it 4.5 but 5 sums it up better than 4 when you consider much of the competition in this genre.

Worth the money for a lazy Sunday morning read, good writing, good story and fun. If you usually love Lane's stuff you should love this.

Woly Unisex-Adult Woly Astro Therm Comfort Insole 18118 Beige 8 UK
Woly Unisex-Adult Woly Astro Therm Comfort Insole 18118 Beige 8 UK

5.0 out of 5 stars They work, 29 Jan. 2015
I've bought these for most of my winter shoes/boots for years and wouldn't be without them. I find they last at least a winter, which for the price and the extra warmth they give seems very reasonable to me. You need to remove the original insoles from your footwear and they go silver side down. I did have one pair that rucked up, but I suspect it was the style of the boot making me walk slightly differently rather than a fault with the Wolys as it's never happened with any of the others.

Vision Fitness E3200 Upright Cycle with Simple Console
Vision Fitness E3200 Upright Cycle with Simple Console

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely machine!, 15 Jan. 2015
I bought this direct from Fitness Superstore and have had it a couple of months now. The set up instructions are clear and well illustrated and though the illustration doesn't show it the seat can be adjusted forward and back as well as higher and lower. There are two ways of using the handlebars, either by gripping the horizontal central part which gives you a heart rate reading, or by leaning forward and putting your arms onto the elbow rests and gripping the upright parts.

It's very easy to set up a session each day by pressing up or down for time, level of resistance - there are 16 levels - and program. There are 7 programs - manual, which you set yourself to whatever you want, interval, incline, fat burn, rolling hills, muscle toner and mountain. If you're on manual you can alter the resistance levels as you go. There's a heart rate monitor as mentioned, a RPM counter, distance counter (it's set to kilometres, though if you're prepared to do a bit of resetting you can have it in miles), calorie counter telling you how much you burned each session and a watt measurer. The bike holds the information long enough for you to take notes at the end if you want to, though once you come to a standstill the only thing it still tells you are distance and calories, you'll have to remember what time you set. If you forget to turn it off it'll go into standby automatically.

The ride itself is very smooth as it uses magnetic resistance and the starts and stops are effortless, it's quiet and a pleasure to exercise on, though a vital feature for me is that you can put a tablet or laptop over the console screen once you have it set up (the start/stop/pause buttons are still visible) as long as it's slim enough you can fit a device into the holds it has there for that purpose. I find that using a virtual cycling/running video (you can buy them or there are loads on you tube) vastly increases the pleasure of exercising on it. Imagining I'm cycling through blue skies and warmth and beautiful scenery makes the whole thing a lot more fun, but you can of course watch anything you like. The session time ends with a beep that's audible even when I have my mp3 playing with earphones, it's not earsplitting, but it can be heard even if you have a laptop over the screen so can't see when you should be finishing.

The saddle is comfortable enough, probably more comfortable than most, but it's changeable if you want to have a different one as it uses the same width post as a normal bike to fix it to the adjustable post, you'll just need a slightly different clamp if you want a road saddle on it. The adjustable post adjusts easily up and down and forward and back with minimal fuss - useful if you have multiple users, as does the saddle tilt (if you want that).

The inside leg length is from around 26" (66cm) to at least 43" (109cm), though I'm guessing with the shortest leg position it might be a little hard to see the console easily if you have a short back to match. It might be worth ringing to check.

There's a handy water bottle holder and bottle, not vital, but useful. If I was being very picky I'd say that some people might want the handlebar height to be adjustable and as far as I can see it isn't, but generally it's a joy to use each day. I can see myself using it for years to come as it's very solidly constructed and a lot of fun to use.

Rain Falls: (A Romantic Dramedy)
Rain Falls: (A Romantic Dramedy)

2.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to like it, 6 Jan. 2015
I wanted to like this, I really did. It started out well which is why I bought it after reading the sample, but despite the author being able to use words she knows so little about what she's writing about here that I almost returned it for a refund. I didn't, but I feel cheated at having paid for something so irritating. Interestingly she has a go at people who return their ebook purchases in the book.

I read to the end hoping for something to salvage the way it went from a decent plot into the realms of the ridiculous, but nothing did. I don't expect books I read to be particularly true to life, particularly in the romance genre, but if someone is going to write about a disability then I do expect them to get at least some of the facts right, but she picked and chose at random what her apparently seriously disabled character could and couldn't do to suit the plot. And the way the other main character seemed to have a personality transplant mid way through didn't help either.

I might give this author another go at some point because her writing style is good and the plot had real promise at the start, but this book would have to have a major overhaul for me to go near it again. So the two stars are because I think the author has potential, she just hasn't reached it here.

Kindle Voyage, 6" High-Resolution Display (300 ppi) with Adaptive Built-in Light, PagePress Sensors, Wi-Fi

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty much perfect!, 6 Jan. 2015
I've had a Kindle for years. I considered updating to the Paperwhite but rejected it as one of the features I loved best in my old Kindle was simply pressing the side of the device to turn the page, useful on cold winter nights when my hand is as close to under the duvet as possible and I don't want any movement disturbing its warmth.

As soon as the Voyage came out I knew it was the one I'd been waiting for, with its return to a simple press for page turning, but with a backlight and a much easier to use touchscreen keyboard. I was lucky enough to be gifted it a couple of weeks before Christmas and I love it.

There are a lot of people who have had 'yellow top screen issues', I'm not one of them, my screen is uniformly lit to be a clear white all the way down, and the resolution is truly beautiful.

My only downside was having a vast book collection most of which were converted through Calibre, I never had cloud synching for my old collections - the biggest faff was recreating my collections as even when in a collection the book remains outside as well, so I had to search through the entire amount of books every time to sort them. On the plus side it's much easier to add a lot of books at once with the tick box feature, so swings and roundabouts. And it's done now, it was a one off task.

Reading on it is a joy, the screen is everything it's hyped to be, and I like the 'best of both worlds' touchscreen for tasks that aren't actually reading, and the ability to simply keep pressing your thumb down on the side when immersed in a book, the missing feature that kept me away from the Paperwhite. I've kept the minute buzz as it doesn't bother me and I quite like it, just as I like the ability to read right or left-handed with ease, and go back or forward through the book much more simply than before.

I loved my old Kindle and to be honest I didn't expect to desert it as it was still fully functional, but having had a few weeks on this one it's like looking back at Windows 95. And as a middle of the night insomniac having a book that reads as easily in the dark is another big plus for me. I bought the ACcover smartshell case for it in duck egg blue, which works perfectly with its sleek looks and means the power button on the back isn't an issue, though personally I think it's fine there. The charger from my old Kindle (which is the one after the original keyboard one) works with it, though it comes with a usb charger that can be plugged into any mains adaptor anyway.

I'm trying to think of anything negative about it beyond the difficulty in sorting a huge amount of books into multiple collections, which is my fault and unlikely to be most people's problem, but I can't. For the record not one of my books from any source has had a problem being read on Voyage since I use Calibre (free and brilliant software) to make sure they're converted to the right format first - PDFs that were hard to read on my last Kindle can be read with ease now due to the better screen resolution. The quick and simple way to change font size is another bonus if a book has particularly small (or large) print, two touches and it's done.

I probably wouldn't have bought it myself until my old Kindle died, due to the price, but now I have it I would definitely buy it again if the need arose - hopefully I won't have to.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 22, 2015 10:30 AM GMT

The Boy with the Painful Tattoo: Holmes & Moriarity 3
The Boy with the Painful Tattoo: Holmes & Moriarity 3
by Josh Lanyon

5.0 out of 5 stars One of his best, 5 Oct. 2014
I've been eagerly awaiting this and it didn't disappoint. Holmes and Moriarity are my other favourite couple of Lanyon's and this was full of everything that's best about Kit and JX. If you haven't read the first two then read them first, his books follow a definite storyline, but this - to me - is his most enjoyable on every level. Full of Kit's humour winding around the tension and the cameo appearances were an extra bonus. Perfect rainy day reading and definitely on my 'will read again' list. I hope he continues this series.

Be Careful What You Wish For: The Kendra Chronicles, Book One
Be Careful What You Wish For: The Kendra Chronicles, Book One

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun!, 15 Aug. 2014
This wasn't my usual reading, and I wasn't completely sure about continuing beyond the first few pages as the story didn't immediately hook me, (possibly because it isn't my usual reading, it was an impulse buy), but I'm very glad I persevered. I got totally drawn in by the end and was left wishing it was longer. I'm glad to see it's the start of a series, I'll definitely read the next one. A light, sexy, well written romp with an unusual storyline that has enough depth not to be saccharine and is amusing too.

Live Milk Kefir Grains to make kefir milk drink
Live Milk Kefir Grains to make kefir milk drink
Offered by happy Kombucha

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff, 25 Feb. 2014
I was a bit surprised by how small the amount was when it arrived, but I followed the instructions I was emailed and although it was a fairly slow start in my cold house while they adjusted I kept them on the side in covered with a tea towel to protect from sunlight - as if! - and after a few weeks they're producing kefir within 24 hours despite the lack of real warmth and have multiplied increasingly fast, to the point they're doubling within a matter of days now. I give the split offs to family members and they're equally happy. Highly recommended.

It tastes a lot better than I was afraid it would too. Like a mild sort of yogurt.

My only tip is build up slowly taking a teaspoon a day to start. I did that for a few days and was fine so I decided to go straight to a mug full. The stomach cramps, nausea and horrible feelings for the next 24 hours won't be forgotten in a hurry, but having given it a rest for a few days and then going back to building up slowly I've had no further problems. I'm assuming if you're buying this you know what it does and how it works, but basically kefir will overwhelm and kill off the bad bacteria in your body, particularly the gut. It's good guy bacteria. Just don't let it do its stuff too fast!

The Higgidy Cookbook: 100 Recipes for Pies and More
The Higgidy Cookbook: 100 Recipes for Pies and More
by Camilla Stephens

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant cookbook even for vegetarians, 5 Feb. 2014
I've had this book for nearly six weeks now and it's already become almost my most used cookbook ever, despite the fact that I'm a vegetarian and have very little time to cook. I've collected dozens of cookbooks over the years and although I enjoy leafing through them I rarely use them. This one gets used all the time and is out on the side almost permanently.

Despite the long lists of ingredients the pies come together really fast and the end result has been - without exception - totally delicious every time. I substitute meat ingredients for Quorn or similar alternatives where necessary and they still taste divine, as well as being SO easy, particularly when I cheat and buy ready made pastry if I'm in a hurry. I haven't had one single recipe that I haven't wanted to make again in the near future. Very highly recommended.

The Getaway Car (Kindle Single)
The Getaway Car (Kindle Single)

5.0 out of 5 stars Descriptive account of her progress from ideas to published novels, 22 Nov. 2013
This little book is not only beautifully written but a great help in both demystifying and inspiring the writing process. Well worth a read, though I suspect those who write will enjoy it more. I love the way she writes and have been a fan since the early 90's, it was fascinating to be given an inside look into how her books come into being as well as learning some useful tips.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4