Profile for Kate > Reviews

Extra Large Mink Faux Fur Throw 200cm x 240cm Fuchia Pink
Extra Large Mink Faux Fur Throw 200cm x 240cm Fuchia Pink
Offered by Fashion Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeously soft and warm, 22 Mar. 2016
I wasn't sure what to expect from this as the reviews seem rather mixed. All I can say is that mine hasn't shed at all. I've had it over white sheets for over a month (changed the sheets obviously!) and there still isn't so much as the slightest bit of fluff despite being scrabbled on by two active kittens who love lying on it and play fighting.
The colour depends on how you lay the nap against the light. If the nap is facing away from the windows it looks a pale girly pink. If the throw is positioned so the nap faces towards the windows it's a lovely deep pink. The colour isn't harsh at all despite being a clear bright there's no hint of neon or purple undertones, the two things I was most worried about before I bought it.
One side has the nap silkier than the other, useful to keep it from sliding off too easily, and the binding matches the throw. I'd say if the nap isn't flattened down hard it's just under a quarter of an inch thick and is at least as warm as a blanket. I'm writing down all the things I wanted to know
but couldn't find out before I bought it. It felt a bit of a risk but I find it pretty much perfect. Size is as described.

Waiting for Clark
Waiting for Clark

5.0 out of 5 stars Light, fun, well written., 22 Feb. 2016
This review is from: Waiting for Clark (Kindle Edition)
I always enjoy Annabeth Albert's works and this is one of my favourites. Great fun read with interesting characters and a good amount of tension. Not very angsty but not too fluffy, the perfect read for a pleasant afternoon if you like your writers intelligent.

MSV 140335 Stainless-Steel Hinges for MDF / Stainless-Steel Toilet Set - 13 x 5 x 4.2 cm
Offered by Oxid7

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the photo shows!, 20 Jan. 2016
These are stainless steel hinges so they're unlikely to rust and won't bubble, which has to be a good thing. However I went for them because I hoped they'd be more durable than the kind that start slipping and falling apart after anything from a few months to a year or so. They are. The photos don't show how well they're constructed.

The first plus is that the hinges themselves can't split apart once they're in place. Anyone who's had the seat hinge fail because bits started loosening or disconnecting will know what a bonus this is. Then the rod underneath is fixed in such a way that it's flexible about placement but it can't come out or come off like the screw on ones so no worry about fixing them in, it's done already. Lastly there's a piece above and four pieces that fit onto the rod below (and a special nut tightener) that means you can fasten these as tightly as you like to the toilet bowl, a
cone shaped rubber insert stops any damage from underneath and there's a sturdy protective lipped piece of plastic above that the fittings sit in rather than on like the usual chrome hinges have.

The only minuses (I don't count a slightly higher price a minus when they're as solidly constructed and built to last as these are) are that you'll almost certainly need to drill new holes for the hinges, they aren't standard - which will be a lot easier if you have a second person holding the lid
steadily in position to mark the holes - I didn't. It's possible, but it's a faff. And the instructions are pictorial and minute to the point of uselessness. But these small points aside these are the best loo hinges I've come across and well worth the price.

I spent a couple of minutes working out the order the pieces should go on the rod and decided on soft cone, metal washer, hard plastic piece, metal nut, which seems to work and holds everything rock solid.

Kenwood kMix Hand Blender, 700 Watt - Bright Orange
Kenwood kMix Hand Blender, 700 Watt - Bright Orange
Offered by C & C Shop

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 8 Dec. 2015
I was a bit wary as I've read a lot of bad reviews about stick blenders, but my old blender recently died after nearly thirty years of use, so I finally bit the bullet and bought this based on the fact it had the least negative reviews. Also I admit I loved the colour. I didn't want to post a review too soon in case something went wrong with it, but this is a lovely little thing. Admittedly it's more of a faff to get all the bits blended than my old upright was, but that's counteracted by the fact there's a lot less washing up. I've mainly used it for blending thick soups, including ones containing cashews and macadamias and, in one unfortunate accident (entirely my fault as I was tired and didn't remember to remove the protective blade cover as I wasn't used to it being there) part of the plastic cover. Not that one would ever want to - one ruined soup! - but it blended the hard plastic as finely as it did the veg, and the motor's still working fine :-).

It's a good solid fairly heavy piece of equipment which looks very well made, the only downside I'd give it is that when doing a large pan of soup the grip needed to hold the blending button at the same time as moving the blender makes my hand ache. Luckily it's easy to take frequent breaks, and to get maximum life from the blender you should anyway. All blenders will have a longer life if their motor is given a pause to rest every half minute or so, more often if you're blending something really thick. Here ends the 'rest the motor often if you don't want to buy often' lecture.

Edited to add, it's now February and it's been in regular use (at least twice a week, often more) since last October, mainly blending very thick soups with nuts etc so I do rest it very frequently while blending to stop it getting upset. Maybe it wouldn't, but I'm not risking it. I still love it, it still looks and acts like new. Hope it continues the same way for a long time to come.

Frenzy Wiggly Wormz attachment - Fits Flying Frenzy & Da Bird Cat Toys
Frenzy Wiggly Wormz attachment - Fits Flying Frenzy & Da Bird Cat Toys

4.0 out of 5 stars Very variable quality. Great when they're good., 7 Nov. 2015
The first Wiggly Wormz I bought are still going strong after weeks of *very* frenzied play by two kittens and two hunting cats (Two different households, mine and my daughters). I thought I'd get a back up as they are so popular I didn't want to risk mine becoming suddenly unusable.

It arrived a different colour and after a couple of days of having it waiting in the toybox I thought I'd try it out to see if my young kitten liked it just as much as the other one. He is the least aggressive of all those who usually play with the wigglies, so it was extra disappointing that this one lasted - literally - less than five minutes before it was a couple of pathetic tufts on a bit of thread with purple fluff everywhere but the
worm.

The first ones are still going, having been played with much more roughly by much fiercer cats with bigger teeth and sharper claws (as well as the little kittens' input) for over six weeks, so it seems it's a lottery about how durable the Wiggly Wormz you get is. It's made me think twice about replacing it with another to be honest.

My first buy gets five stars for excellence with both Wiggly Wormz in both households, fun, durable and holds their interest time after time. The most recent Wiggly Wormz was a one star piece of rubbish. I've given four stars over all as the first Wormz are so good and still going strong.

If you're lucky with what you get this is one of the best interactive cat toys I've come across, all paws raised in agreement by all four felines in both houses, despite their different ages and characters. If you're unlucky it's a waste of money.

Better Than Safe (Better Than Stories Book 4)
Better Than Safe (Better Than Stories Book 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars One of her best, 29 Sept. 2015
I was almost put off buying by the first two reviews but I'm really glad I wasn't. I think this is one of Lane's best so far and I savoured the whole thing from beginning to end. I enjoyed the 'bite' of Seth's character, having him sickly sweet would pretty much have taken away the plot. I loved the complexity and the detail of this one, it drew me in in the best sort of way. Their relationship was great and I know enough obsessed artists to know Seth could have been a whole lot worse :-). Actually I liked him as much as I liked Paul. Definitely one to reread.

The Wrong Man (Right and Wrong Book 2)
The Wrong Man (Right and Wrong Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable read., 8 Feb. 2015
I wasn't sure whether to buy this or not as although I loved the Better Than series I didn't enjoy The Right Words quite as much and the only Amazon UK review for this was two stars. But it was the weekend and I wanted something light and enjoyable to read and I know Lane always gives that, so I took a chance. I'm really glad I did. Her writing is definitely maturing and this was a good read all the way through.

It isn't perfect - few books are - but Lane is way above most other authors in this genre and I'd say this is her best book yet, I love seeing how her writing is developing.

This may be second in the series but it easily stands alone and is one I can imagine happily rereading more than once. Mack the dog is a darling, even as a cat person I can imagine falling for him, and Brandon and Jake are both well rounded characters, nothing two dimensional about either of them. A thing I particularly liked is that the early part of their history rang true and that Brandon had genuine reasons for his holding back all those years later, it hadn't just been a silly misunderstanding, and that Jake was aware of that even as he was showing he was no longer that boy.

I wasn't too convinced about the exes turnabouts, but the main plot line was sound and readable and I loved the detailed but not boring descriptions which were very well done.

I'd have liked just a little more depth for 5 stars, shame I can't give it 4.5 but 5 sums it up better than 4 when you consider much of the competition in this genre.

Worth the money for a lazy Sunday morning read, good writing, good story and fun. If you usually love Lane's stuff you should love this.

Woly Unisex-Adult Woly Astro Therm Comfort Insole 18118 Beige8 UK (42 EU)
Woly Unisex-Adult Woly Astro Therm Comfort Insole 18118 Beige8 UK (42 EU)

5.0 out of 5 stars They work, 29 Jan. 2015
I've bought these for most of my winter shoes/boots for years and wouldn't be without them. I find they last at least a winter, which for the price and the extra warmth they give seems very reasonable to me. You need to remove the original insoles from your footwear and they go silver side down. I did have one pair that rucked up, but I suspect it was the style of the boot making me walk slightly differently rather than a fault with the Wolys as it's never happened with any of the others.

Vision Fitness E3200 Upright Cycle with Simple Console
Vision Fitness E3200 Upright Cycle with Simple Console
Offered by Fitness Superstore

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely machine!, 15 Jan. 2015
I bought this direct from Fitness Superstore and have had it a couple of months now. The set up instructions are clear and well illustrated and though the illustration doesn't show it the seat can be adjusted forward and back as well as higher and lower. There are two ways of using the handlebars, either by gripping the horizontal central part which gives you a heart rate reading, or by leaning forward and putting your arms onto the elbow rests and gripping the upright parts.

It's very easy to set up a session each day by pressing up or down for time, level of resistance - there are 16 levels - and program. There are 7 programs - manual, which you set yourself to whatever you want, interval, incline, fat burn, rolling hills, muscle toner and mountain. If you're on manual you can alter the resistance levels as you go. There's a heart rate monitor as mentioned, a RPM counter, distance counter (it's set to kilometres, though if you're prepared to do a bit of resetting you can have it in miles), calorie counter telling you how much you burned each session and a watt measurer. The bike holds the information long enough for you to take notes at the end if you want to, though once you come to a standstill the only thing it still tells you are distance and calories, you'll have to remember what time you set. If you forget to turn it off it'll go into standby automatically.

The ride itself is very smooth as it uses magnetic resistance and the starts and stops are effortless, it's quiet and a pleasure to exercise on, though a vital feature for me is that you can put a tablet or laptop over the console screen once you have it set up (the start/stop/pause buttons are still visible) as long as it's slim enough you can fit a device into the holds it has there for that purpose. I find that using a virtual cycling/running video (you can buy them or there are loads on you tube) vastly increases the pleasure of exercising on it. Imagining I'm cycling through blue skies and warmth and beautiful scenery makes the whole thing a lot more fun, but you can of course watch anything you like. The session time ends with a beep that's audible even when I have my mp3 playing with earphones, it's not earsplitting, but it can be heard even if you have a laptop over the screen so can't see when you should be finishing.

The saddle is comfortable enough, probably more comfortable than most, but it's changeable if you want to have a different one as it uses the same width post as a normal bike to fix it to the adjustable post, you'll just need a slightly different clamp if you want a road saddle on it. The adjustable post adjusts easily up and down and forward and back with minimal fuss - useful if you have multiple users, as does the saddle tilt (if you want that).

The inside leg length is from around 26" (66cm) to at least 43" (109cm), though I'm guessing with the shortest leg position it might be a little hard to see the console easily if you have a short back to match. It might be worth ringing to check.

There's a handy water bottle holder and bottle, not vital, but useful. If I was being very picky I'd say that some people might want the handlebar height to be adjustable and as far as I can see it isn't, but generally it's a joy to use each day. I can see myself using it for years to come as it's very solidly constructed and a lot of fun to use.

Rain Falls (Rain Falls series #1): (A Romantic Dramedy)
Rain Falls (Rain Falls series #1): (A Romantic Dramedy)

2.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to like it, 6 Jan. 2015
I wanted to like this, I really did. It started out well which is why I bought it after reading the sample, but despite the author being able to use words she knows so little about what she's writing about here that I almost returned it for a refund. I didn't, but I feel cheated at having paid for something so irritating. Interestingly she has a go at people who return their ebook purchases in the book.

I read to the end hoping for something to salvage the way it went from a decent plot into the realms of the ridiculous, but nothing did. I don't expect books I read to be particularly true to life, particularly in the romance genre, but if someone is going to write about a disability then I do expect them to get at least some of the facts right, but she picked and chose at random what her apparently seriously disabled character could and couldn't do to suit the plot. And the way the other main character seemed to have a personality transplant mid way through didn't help either.

I might give this author another go at some point because her writing style is good and the plot had real promise at the start, but this book would have to have a major overhaul for me to go near it again. So the two stars are because I think the author has potential, she just hasn't reached it here.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5