Profile for The watcher > Reviews

The Island Story 1962-1987
Offered by EliteDigital UK
Price: 12.95

1.0 out of 5 stars What is on it?, 18 Jun 2014
A track listing on this would be really good on the Amazon listing. I'm interested in several Island bands, but how do I know if they are on this? This has put me off buying a couple of cds lately - rated as 1 because I don't want to buy it blind

The Man Who Hated Walking: The South West Coast Path
The Man Who Hated Walking: The South West Coast Path
by Overend Watts

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for read for walkers and non-walkers alike, 7 Jan 2014
The plot here is given away pretty much straight away. This is a narrative of Overend Watt's completion of the very demanding Southwest Coastal Path in the UK, so there, I've given it away. However read on.
As this was the first effort from Mr Watts I wasn't sure what to expect. I needn't have worried because it turns out to be an extremely engaging/ addictive read. It is very much in a diary format (if you have ever read "Pennyless through Britain" then it is of a similar ilk, though very different in content).
This is a book that should be mandatory for anyone considering a trail walk of any distance from 50 miles upwards. There are a lot of learning points in here which are presented honestly and in a very readable format - in short read and take notice, preferably before you go and kit yourself out (I have made just about every mistake Overend admits to and I wish he had written this years ago as it would have saved me from my own stupidity. I would still have done the walks I did but would have been far better prepared and a lot more savvy). I will be reading it again to make sure I haven't missed anything.
If you have no interest in trail walking whatsoever, then this is still a good read and well worth getting hold of. There is a serious side to this book, but there is also a good dollop of humour in here as well, some of it is dark, there is a lot of wordplay, all in all very entertaining especially the open and honest narrative of Overend's changing state of mind through the walk as well as his descriptions of the many places he visits and the characters he meets on the way.
There are also excellent historical and location narratives spread throughout the book. Again, even if you never want to do any serious walking, it is worth reading the book for these snippits of information. Regrettably as OW completed the walk some years ago, some of the locations etc will have changed or even gone, but nevertheless there are some priceless comments in here.
Is this the best literary effort of 2013? Well in honesty it probably has a few holes in it that the better educated amongst us wouldn't be happy with. On the other hand I have picked up Booker prize winning novels before now and put them down without finishing them as they have been so cleverly written that they became tedious after the first few pages - Mr Watts cannot be accused of this, and I was genuinely sorry when I came to the end, in fact the book became more engaging as the journey progressed.
I hope Overend has something else in his notebook because I'm now looking forward to the follow up. OW, if you read this, a publication just in time for next Christmas would be good because my wife never knows what to buy me.

Clare in the Community: Series 5 (Radio Collection)
Clare in the Community: Series 5 (Radio Collection)
by Harry Venning
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff for a long car journey, 2 Sep 2013
Along with Old HArry's Game and the Navy Lark this has got to be a must for livening up a journey

The Hairy Dieters: How to Love Food and Lose Weight
The Hairy Dieters: How to Love Food and Lose Weight
by Si King
Price: 7.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Forget dieting, this is a book stuffed with good accessible recipes, 4 Feb 2013
We bought this on the strength of the TV series and agreed we would stick to it following the Christmas surplus.
We have stuck to it and from a dieting point of view it works, though you must keep to the measurements etc.
That aside, this book stands up by itself as a varied and straight forward book of recipes. Only one mediocre so far, the rest have been spot on, and will certainly be repeated

The Coen Brothers Collection 2010 [DVD]
The Coen Brothers Collection 2010 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ethan Coen
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd
Price: 35.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A box full of quirk, 21 Oct 2011
Quirky, sometimes bizarre but ultimately brilliant. To have all these in a single box at this price is just amazing

The Reckoning
The Reckoning
Price: 13.16

5.0 out of 5 stars Another pearler, 21 Oct 2011
This review is from: The Reckoning (Audio CD)
This doesn't need an essay. Steve has done it again. I did think that Ziggurat was unbeatable, but The Reckoning is up there in the same place. Brilliant!

HUNTER, IAN / SHRUNKEN HEADS
HUNTER, IAN / SHRUNKEN HEADS
Price: 9.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Better and more better, 4 Aug 2011
Considering Hunter went into a wilderness era in the 80s and virtually disappeared, he has made up for it since. Personally I think this is the best of his four recent works, though all four (Artful Dodger, RANT, Shrunken Heads, Man Overboard)all stand by themselves.
In fairness it is hard to choose between Man Overboard and Shrunken Heads, but I think SH just about scrpes into the front.
For the last few years we have seen Hunter at his lyrical best and gaining some with each new song. Don't look for hidden messages, it's all there up front, but do take the time to understand the context of each song.
According to Hunter's website there is a new one on the way -I can't wait!

Neptune
Neptune
Price: 11.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Good One, 6 Jun 2011
This review is from: Neptune (Audio CD)
This is definitely moving from her roots, even more so than Dreams of Breathing Underwater. Having said that, you can see the transition taking place over the years, and it's a good thing. No musician should stand still, and Eliza certainly can't be accused of that. Both writing and delivery seem to get better with every new cd.
This is an album well worth buying, it is inventive,and as I say above it is well delivered.
What category do you slot this into? To classify it as Folk would probably contravene the trade descriptions act, so I think it is best not to bother trying! Take this as it comes and enjoy it for what it is.
With the last two albums this good I can't wait to see where she goes next.

Lucy Wan
Lucy Wan
Price: 12.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Much much underated, 16 May 2011
This review is from: Lucy Wan (Audio CD)
This is a great album. It is everything you would evpect from Chris and Denny plus more. It is well and sensitively played with an unexpected level of production - nice one

Festival Bell
Festival Bell
Price: 13.06

5.0 out of 5 stars A very listenable album, 16 May 2011
This review is from: Festival Bell (Audio CD)
Fairport always make good albums, but there have been one or two meanering ones in the last couple of years. This brings them back on form. With a back catalogue like theirs there is an awful lot to live up to, and the more they put out the harder it gets. However, I think this ranks with the Wood and the Wire which was their last belter in my opinion. My only critisism is about what isn't there because I would have liked to have seen a couple of traditional numbers included (but then what do you do with all the excellent material that IS included?)
If you have been wondering whether or not to buy this, then stop procrastinating, and get hold of a copy.
Then once you have heard it, listen to one of the other reviewers and go and see them live - a group of musicians that can actually play their instruments properly.

Page: 1 | 2