Profile for J. Baker > Reviews

J. Baker "Audio Junkie"

BBP DSLR Sling Bag with iPad Slot and RAIN COVER - Black/Tan
BBP DSLR Sling Bag with iPad Slot and RAIN COVER - Black/Tan

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bag, great for for mirrorless camera, 26 July 2013
I am very happy with this bag which I currently use with my Sony NEX mirrorless camera. It is well designed and well made.

I really like the layout of the pocket sections.
It has a large compartment for a DSLR camera body with lens, or space for 2-plus mirrorless camera bodies with lenses.
There are two other smaller sections: the top one is the right size for a large flash, the other for a couple of lenses or perhaps a second DSLR body, and then there is also a dedicated section for the included elasticated waterproof cover - which I haven't yet had to deploy in anger. There are other useful little details like pockets for remote, cards etc including on the straps. The bag also has tripod holding straps on the back.

There is also a slot running vertically along the back for an ipad. The bag is sort of slightly pyramid shaped so it is thinner at the top - my 11" macbook air fits but it is very close and won't fit with a cover. It is a shame it wasn't designed just 1 cm wider at the top! The only other negative I can think of is that the bag is smaller than a normal rucksack - which for me is not an issue but may be for others.

This is the first sling bag that I have owned and at first it was a bit strange. However I am now used to it and think it is a great bag.

The Digital Photography Book: The Step-by-step Secrets for How to Make Your Photos Look Like the Pros'!: 1
by Scott Kelby

1.0 out of 5 stars Abysmal, 14 Jun 2013
As some others have pointed out, this book offers nothing spread over a lot of pages.
There are proper books out there that will help you improve by photographers like Tom Ang, Michael Freeman, Ben Long to name but a few... go to a book shop and actually look at some books before you buy. But don't make my mistake and buy this.
This is a very, very poor book that I was persuaded to buy by the mysterious high ratings on Amazon. These high ratings are insanely undeserved and I have rarely been so shocked by such lack of quality. It really is dire and reads like it was written and edited in a single afternoon at an airport by someone who has never taken a photo in their life.

Sony 5.5 inch 3G Tablet P (Nvidia Tegra 2 1GHz, 1GB RAM, 4GB Memory, Android 3.1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Great Concept - Really Poor Build and Quality Control, 15 Jan 2013
I really liked the concept of this tablet - being able to fold it and place it in my jacket pocket or a very small bag for travelling seemed like a great idea - but sadly the build quality is pathetic. I had to send units back no less than four times! One had a broken screen, and all of them had either the top or the bottom screen a subtle different blue hue. Every demo model I have ever seen in shops in the UK and EU had this same problem. Once you notice it you can't stop seeing the difference.

Sony support on the phone are next to useless - in shops the people are often much better - but after my experience I would recommend not wasting time or money on this tablet.

The Sony P is currently extremely cheap and available online for a lot less than 200, but there are a few other negative features to weigh up against convenience: there is a proprietary charger, a long charge time, two large bezels in middle of the two screens and apparently no native wifi tethering with the ICS update and no hope of Jelly Bean. I could have lived with all this for the portability and low price but the quality I experienced was just too poor.