Profile for David Briggs > Reviews

Content by David Briggs

David Briggs "Boro boy" (Kuwait)

Page: 1 | 2
The Power of One
The Power of One

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, not great, 3 Jan. 2015
This review is from: The Power of One (Kindle Edition)
Good but it didn't live up to the hype. Interesting and uplifting, but not a life changer for me.

The Martian
The Martian

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 3 Jan. 2015
This review is from: The Martian (Kindle Edition)
Brilliant. Definitely a bloke's book, it's well researched, clever and a real page turner. Although it's clearly sci-fi there's an element of thriller about it too - the puzzles he has to solve happen to be set on Mars and are coloured by the setting, but in essence it's about problems that have to be solved and so less pure sci-fi than just intelligent fiction. Enjoy!!

The Second World War
The Second World War

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written and broad ranging, 22 Dec. 2013
I bought this because one of my favourite books is Beevor's 'Stalingrad' (which gets 5 *s). This book isn't as gripping as that, but for such a broad ranging narrative it's easy to read. The main reason I like it so much is the breadth and scope, particularly the chapters on the war in the east and the Pacific. We all know there were things happening out there, but my knowledge was limited to events in Burma and Singapore. Having that knowledge ehanced with the interactions between China, Japan and Russia is a real bonus. So yes, go out & buy this, but make sure you also buy Satlingrad.

Overgrown
Overgrown

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique & brilliant, 5 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Overgrown (Audio CD)
No one else is doing anything like this. Heavy, poignant and with his unique voice and song structures it's something you can't ignore even if you don't like it - but I'm sure you're going to like it anyway. The first two tracks are the standouts - the only let down for me is 'Take a fall for me' - standard rap and gratingly out of sync worth the rest of it. Believe in yourself James, you don't need guest artists.

False Idols
False Idols

5.0 out of 5 stars Tricky on form!!, 17 July 2013
This review is from: False Idols (Audio CD)
Q gave this only 3 stars. They're wrong. 'Nothing Matters' and 'Parenthesis' are 5*, but 'Nothing's Changed' is off the scale. The rest of the album? To be honest, don't know yet. Those tracks are on permanent repeat and have been for several weeks. I'll let you know about the rest of it later : ))

Foe
Foe

4.0 out of 5 stars great, just somewhat same-y, 17 July 2013
This review is from: Foe (Audio CD)
listened to this on Spotify first before buying and I know my daughter would say it's typically me. Electronica with plenty of echo, doomy chords and ethereal voices. So yes, pretty same-y. But if you like this sort of stuff, you'll love this album (as I do). Try the last track - 'Inflammable Heart' & if you don't love it, this isn't for you.

NOD
NOD

4.0 out of 5 stars Absorbing, 29 Jun. 2013
This review is from: NOD (Kindle Edition)
This really draws you in. An interesting concept well realised. Tension builds throughout even though the structure means you know some of what's coming. It would have been 5 stars but for one thing - I like an ending and this really just stopped. Maybe there's a second volume on the way. If so, I'm buying.

A Delicate Truth
A Delicate Truth

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely worth it, 22 May 2013
This review is from: A Delicate Truth (Kindle Edition)
I thoroughly enjoyed this. Strong characters, an interesting set up, great narrative drive (more so than usual for le Carre) and as you would expect, brilliantly written.

In fact there are only two reasons for not giving this 5 stars. One is the way it ends. It felt quite sudden to me, almost as though he was tired with writing it and just wanted to stop. Of course that may just be me wanting more. The second was that the significance of the plot line was occasionally lost. I knew why it mattered, and it really does, but sometimes it was as though the details of the story took over the significance of the plot.

Nevertheless a strong recommendation - maybe not quite Tinker Tailor ... but right up there.

Sepulchre
Sepulchre

3.0 out of 5 stars Not fully engaging, 2 May 2013
This review is from: Sepulchre (Kindle Edition)
I read Labyrinth & quite enjoyed it so decided to give Sepulchre a go. It's not bad but not great and sort of disappointing. The story line is fairly interesting but there are occasional errors & grammatical quirks which grate, and generally it's just a bit slow. I didn't find myself particularly caring about the main characters so I was never fully engaged. Not sure I'll bother with Citadel to be honest.

Great North Road
Great North Road

4.0 out of 5 stars It grows on you, 28 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Great North Road (Kindle Edition)
Now this was strange. As I was reading it & about up to half way through I wasn't really enjoying it. Some unexplained inconsistencies (a large planet but no mention of increased gravity, continual mention of brand names from today ... ) and it did seem to be going on rather. But the further I got into it, the more I got into it. And when I finished ... well, all I can say is I miss reading it. I didn't go straight back to the start and begin again though I may well do so before too long.
So if you decide to give it a whirl, don't give up on it ok?
Not as good as Night's Dawn, but at least as good as The Void.

Page: 1 | 2