Profile for Dunfermline woman > Reviews

Content by Dunfermline woman

Dunfermline woman (Fife, Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
What Is Not Yours Is Not Yours
What Is Not Yours Is Not Yours

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful writing but unsatisfactory endings, 20 July 2016
I love the way this author writes. Her language and descriptions are beautiful and she describes emotions really well. I would start each story really positive because it was set up so well.
Unfortunately I would finish the stories really disappointed. I probably should have avoided a book of stories about the supernatural. I'm not a fan of woo, so explanations of events being down to ghosties and ghoulies and things that go bump in the night was never going to satisfy me. Many characters never really came alive for me either, i think because some of the stories had too many characters in them for a short story.
Reading this has made me want to read other books by her, if she does realistic fiction as well but I'm not sure I'll finish this one.

Runaway
Runaway

4.0 out of 5 stars Kingsley Hall revisited, 19 July 2016
This review is from: Runaway (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this book and in many ways it is more believable than some of his later books with no unlikely memory lapses etc. Peter May does tell a good story and keeps things moving. My copy was a library copy and I was surprised that there wasn't a mention of his sources anywhere. He was obviously writing about Kingsley Hall, RD Laing and Mary Barnes in the therapy centre with no real attempt to disguise this.
The only bit I found unbelievable was the Jack Rachel relationship in the latter part of the book where I felt the characters acted stupidly and unbelievably just to make the plot run the way he wanted.

Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker with Tote Storage Bag
Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker with Tote Storage Bag

4.0 out of 5 stars With the second cup I made sure the filter paper was central and screwed the filter container on more tightly and ground the cof, 18 May 2016
I got this today and have been experimenting with it. The first cup was a disaster, the water went straight through. With the second cup I made sure the filter paper was central and screwed the filter container on more tightly and ground the coffee finer. The combination of these have meant I don't have to invert it as after stirring the water level stays OK until I plunge it. I think ensuring the filter paper container is screwed on tightly is the main thing. The coffee is good. better than a stove top which I find bitter even ensuring it doesn't boil dry, and more flavour than a cafetiere. It's faster than using my single cup coffee filter which produced luke warm coffee by the time it dripped through. I just make expresso measures then top up to Americano.
I think the instructions could be better. They'd be better doing fewer languages and more detailed instructions.
I think I'll use the bag, the funnel is the bit I find superfluous.

An Instinctive Solution: An Inspector Alvarez Mystery
An Instinctive Solution: An Inspector Alvarez Mystery
Offered by Audible Ltd

1.0 out of 5 stars Horribly long winded with caricatures of characters, 8 April 2016
Got the audio book out of the library to listen to in the car and had to abandon it half 2/3 of the way through the first CD it was so awful. It took about 40 minutes to cover 2 paragraphs of plot. Horribly long winded with caricatures of characters.
The main guy is supposed to be an inspector but spends half his time drinking and seems to live in a B&B with a landlady he views as his servant and chef. Why doesn't he get his own place and eat out as he's never in for meals? His boss is an irritating pompous idiot and the police below him are portrayed as weirdly accented idiots.
No-one is likeable or engaging which makes you wonder why he doesn't get on with the action.
I don't care who killed her.

The Blackhouse: Book One of the Lewis Trilogy
The Blackhouse: Book One of the Lewis Trilogy

3.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book until chapter 19 and the revelations by ..., 14 Mar. 2016
I loved this book until chapter 19 and the revelations by Gigs. Then it stopped being believable which lowered it by a couple of stars for me. Excellent until then, really good on location and characterisation, just bad at getting a believable ending for me.

The World According To Bertie (The 44 Scotland Street Series)
The World According To Bertie (The 44 Scotland Street Series)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good when he was writing about Bertie or Pat and ..., 10 Feb. 2016
Good when he was writing about Bertie or Pat and Matthew. He can be very good on relationships but is prone to tedious side plots. I skipped rather boring stuff on the Jacobites. I agree the council baby agency was inaccurate twaddle. Dominica was less insufferably smug in this book than when she was trying to be an anthropologist. It's not clear how most of them can afford to live in such an expensive area of Edinburgh. Angus Lordie never seems quite real to me, he's supposed to be an artist but seems to spend all day walking his dog or thinking about his dog.
I think the author writes too many books and could do with upping the quality control.

The Claire Macdonald Cookbook
The Claire Macdonald Cookbook
by Baroness Claire Macdonald

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 25 Jan. 2016
A wonderful cookbook. They all word and aren't over complex. My favourite cookbook

Deceived With Kindness: A Bloomsbury Childhood
Deceived With Kindness: A Bloomsbury Childhood

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting on Bloomsbury, mum gets it in the neck again., 9 Aug. 2015
I decided to read this as the BBC have a Bloomsbury series on. The Vanessa in this book is very different to that in the series and it's hard to know where the truth lies. In many ways the author had a very privileged life, she was loved, they had money, they travelled. OK her school wasn't academic but as she begged her mother not to do the more academic subjects at school she has to bear some of the blame. If she'd enjoyed maths/ latin etc and wanted to go somewhere more stimulating I'm sure her mother would have sent her, ditto the violin lessons abroad when she cried after doing some arpeggios so her mother didn't send her back.
It sounds as though she realised some of this after she had written the book. Blaming your mother for your bad choices in life is too easy. She certainly was given plenty of opportunities.
It was an interesting view of the Bloomsbury set and a way of life that has now largely vanished (summers abroad, few people doing anything to earn money), the Henry James lifestyle.
I liked the way she wrote although the books skits about a bit in time period and location, a few joining paragraphs so it flowed together better would have been good. Also I still didn't really have any sense of the writer as a person at the end. She complained her mother was passive but she didn't seem ambitious or fiesty either.

The Secret Place: Dublin Murder Squad:  5 (Dublin Murder Squad series)
The Secret Place: Dublin Murder Squad: 5 (Dublin Murder Squad series)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good until the author went all Hogwarts, 20 July 2015
This novel started really well and had me gripped until the author got bored writing a crime novel and decided she wanted to join the teenage readership magic/ Harry Potter scene and turn St Kilda's into Hogworts. It then got silly and less gripping and the characters less believable.
Once you stop dealing with real people and start playing with "the ghosties made me do it" as a motive, then who did what to whom stops mattering.
The girls became less substantial as people at that point as well. None of their behaviour after the introduction of woo into the story seemed realistic, only the cop side of the story held up after that.
In future make your mind up. Crime novel or teenage woo/ magic fiction. Trying to do both doesn't work.

Dust: Scarpetta 21
Dust: Scarpetta 21
by Patricia Cornwell

2.0 out of 5 stars Stop giving out spoilers about past books and get on with this one, 21 April 2015
This review is from: Dust: Scarpetta 21 (Paperback)
I'm only an eighth of the way through this novel but am finding it slow going and am hating the way the author seems to want to tell me all about the plots of her previous books so I won't have to bother reading them myself.
Just get on with telling this story, and if I want to know more about the backgrounds of the characters I can read about them in the other books. Less introspection and "this is what happened in the last book" and more getting on with the action of this story. It's page 84 and she hasn't even seen the dead body she was told about on page 1 yet!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8