Profile for Cycling Mum > Reviews

Content by Cycling Mum

Cycling Mum

The Dirtiest Race in History: Ben Johnson, Carl Lewis and the 1988 Olympic 100m Final (Wisden Sports Writing): Ben Johnson, Carl Lewis and the Olympic 100m Final
by Richard Moore

5.0 out of 5 stars what about cycling?, 18 Oct. 2012
I am disappointed that Richard Moore only comments on drug taking in sport when the action and controversy is in the past. I would like to know why Richard did not take his investigative journalism into the Lance Armstrong case. When the dossier from USADA was passed to the UCI and to the media, Richard Moore spoke on BBC breakfast TV news and expressed shock and surprise. He said no-one in the media could have known about it. Really? Richard has only written about lucrative non-controversial subjects in cycling, and I am disappointed that he is still being very careful about what he says about Lance Armstrong.

The Secret Race: Inside the Hidden World of the Tour de France: Doping, Cover-ups, and Winning at All Costs
by Tyler Hamilton

5.0 out of 5 stars The last piece in the jigsaw!, 28 Sept. 2012
I have read so many books about cycling and about Lance Armstrong, so I was pretty up-to-date when I read this book. For me, it filled up some holes in my jigsaw with new pieces, or old ones that could fit somewhere else. The result is an image of cycling that looked like a heroic triumph of the mind and body over adversity, and changed with the flick of a mirror to become a battlefield of power and influence, of propaganda, of henchmen, of ambushes, of cold war, of a sort of nuclear arms race, and above all, blood, blood, blood everywhere.....

That said, Tyler Hamilton comes across as a like-able guy who does not spare himself. He is excited about honestly telling his story for the first time, and he tells it lightly and without self-pity. It is an easy read for us, but for some others, the vested interests in the Lance Armstrong myth and those who took strength in his fight against cancer,it will be hard to digest. Lance Armstrong is no saint, and this book is a powerful and damning witness to his worldliness. Because Tyler Hamilton tries to point the finger at himself first, it makes his testimony against Lance all the more compelling. Read this book!

Every Second Counts
Every Second Counts
by Lance Armstrong

5.0 out of 5 stars Every second counts, 28 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Every Second Counts (Paperback)
This gripping and entertaining book was a sequel to 'It's not about the bike' and was also ghost written by Sally Jenkins. She did a fantastic job but doesn't get credited anywhere, as far as I can see. This is the second of the Lance Armstrong autobiographies that got me into cycling, and made me a big Lance fan back in 2008. Now, writing in September 2012, I also think of this book more as a work of fiction - the reality of the Lance Armstrong story has moved on. There are currently rumours, court cases, and investigations by USADA about doping that cannot be ignored. This was the second book that launched the Lance Armstrong myth, and I wish I still believed in it! I would recommend that you read this book, and then move on to Paul Kimmage and David Walsh for the other side of the story! Then make up your own mind...

It's Not About The Bike: My Journey Back to Life
It's Not About The Bike: My Journey Back to Life
by Lance Armstrong

5.0 out of 5 stars It's not about the bike.......?, 28 Sept. 2012
This moving and inspirational book was ghost written by Sally Jenkins. She did a fantastic job but doesn't get credited anywhere, as far as I can see. This is the book that got me into cycling, and made me a big Lance fan back in 2008. Now, writing in September 2012, I think of this book more as a work of fiction - the reality of the Lance Armstrong story has moved on. How did Lance get the cancer? There are rumours.....This was the book that launched the Lance Armstrong myth, and I wish I still believed in it!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 25, 2013 8:57 AM GMT