Profile for Flamingo Amy > Reviews

Great Hair: Elegant Styles for Every Occasion
by Davis Biton
Price: 9.09

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational!, 3 April 2010
This book is impressive for several reasons, the first being the number of styles covered. There really is a very good selection, although I will say that long to very long hair is needed for the majority of these, but they will still give you some ideas for shorter hair. I will warn you that there are a few dodgy choices which remind me of how I might have done my hair as a child in the 90's (you will instantly know which ones I mean!).

The author of this book says that you can do these styles yourself at home, but I would have to disagree. Some of these styles are complex and would be a challenge to those hair dressers with hair-up experiance.

Overall I would recommend this book as a great source of hair-up inspriation and exceptional value for money.

Trevor Sorbie: The Bridal Hair Book
Trevor Sorbie: The Bridal Hair Book
by Trevor Sorbie
Price: 24.69

2.0 out of 5 stars Odd Choices of Style for Bridal Hair, 3 April 2010
What first struck me about this book was the very unusual suggestions for 'bridal styles'. I would say that the styles suggested at the beggining of the book (and some further in) are more suited to avant garde work and find it very difficult to imagine that the avaerage bride would go for one of these looks.

Another disappointing aspect was the lack of instruction. Even as a hairdresser with experiance in hair-up I struggled to understand some of the styles.

Saying this, it is not all bad, I did pick up some handy tips on marcel waving and the marketing chapter in the back was useful.

Overall I would say that this book is probably over priced and quite disappointing in terms of styles and content. I would buy this mainly if I was looking for inspirtion for more unusal styles, rather than as a bridal hair book.

Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World: 75 Dairy-free Recipes for Cupcakes That Rule
by Isa Chandra Moskowitz & Terry Hope Romero
Price: 6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A book all Vegans must own, 14 Sep 2009
I know there are already a lot of reviews on this so I'll keep this short.
First of all the photography is stunning; something that a lot of vegen cookbooks are lacking. You will be kept from baking by the fact that you will be salavating over the pictures for so long! The receipes are easy to follow and most of the ingredients are easy to find, but not all. Can I just tell U.K readers now that if you are wondering what 'shortening' is it is vegetable fat, I use Trex - I was looking for AGES for this info - so I hope this helps you out. I highly reccommend this book - BUY IT!