Profile for S. Turnbull > Reviews

Content by S. Turnbull

S. Turnbull

Xtra-Funky Exclusive Clip-On Flexible LED Reading Light For Kobo, Laptops, Map reading, Books, E-Readers, Music Stand, Car Maintenance, DJ Booths, Etc.
Offered by Xtra-Funky Ltd (VAT Registered)

4.0 out of 5 stars Does a good job., 11 Dec. 2013
Very bright, I use it for reading graphic novels at night and it lights them up well enough to see all the colour and details.

It is Quite bulky so that's why it loses a star but rather than attach it to my book I put it on the pillow next to me facing the book and it works well.

Great value, i have been using it for a couple of hours every night for a couple of months and the batteries are still going strong.

Would recommend.

Avengers Arena Volume 2: Game On (Marvel Now)
Avengers Arena Volume 2: Game On (Marvel Now)
by Dennis Hopeless

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than the first book., 3 Oct. 2013
Just finished reading this, if like me you read the first one and thought it was a bit 'meh,' you might have some reservations about reading the second one. Well it is a lot better, it has more action, better story progression which isn't as disjointed and more character development.
I'm now eagerly anticipating the 3rd installment, which prior to this book I didn't know if I would even continue with the series. (I will normally persevere through a couple of books to give it a chance before giving up if somethings not my cup of tea.)
Solid 4 out of 5 stars and a remarkable improvement over the first book.

Slaughter High [DVD]
Slaughter High [DVD]
Dvd ~ Caroline Munro

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent 80's slasher, 14 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Slaughter High [DVD] (DVD)
Just watched this for the first time, it's a good movie that outdoes its budget. Definitely worth a watch if you're into your cult 80's slashers/horrors.

The acting is decent throughout, it doesn't overdo the gore but there is still enough to keep you going. There are some original kills that I enjoyed.

Overall I would give this 7/10, give it a watch.

Knuckle [DVD]
Knuckle [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ian Palmer
Offered by babsbargains *** WORLDWIDE SHIPPING ***

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent original documentary., 14 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Knuckle [DVD] (DVD)
This Is a good look up close at gypsy bare knuckle fighting, the fight scenes are as you expect and some of the interviews are quite intriguing.

It basically follows a format of; this is who is fighting, this is why they are fighting, here is the fight.

I don't think it really developed the characters as well as it could have, after all for 12 years of filming we are presented with an hour and half of the footage, so maybe it could have been a bit longer to delve deeper Into some of the fighters psyches and experiences.

Definitely give it a go if you are interested in travellers or underground fighting. Just don't expect a deep documentary driven by the characters within.

Sharkman [DVD]
Sharkman [DVD]

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth a watch, 14 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Sharkman [DVD] (DVD)
I really didn't expect anything from this movie, I paid 50p for it at a car boot and thought I might not get round to watching it. However I'm glad I did as it did surpass my expectations by a long way. As I was putting it in the DVD player I was thinking there was a fair chance it would be off and in the never to be watched ever again pile within 20 minutes. I was wrong.

Now this is nothing special, but there were a lot of things to like, which more than made up for the negatives. The evil scientist in his lair thing really worked for me, and I bought into the sense of desperation for the characters to escape from the island. If you can suspend your disbelief at there being a half man half shark lurking around then there's a good chance you will enjoy this movie.

However, there are a few negatives. Firstly the acting isn't anything to be admired, the leading actress was ok at best, as well as the evil scientist, but everyone else was pretty poor. This is what I expected beforehand so it never really put me off. Secondly, there wasn't enough of the sharkman, what there was good, but he was used sparingly, and only in glimpses. Finally, there wasn't a great deal of suspense, the kill scenes were all straightforward and I didn't jump once as you knew the shark was coming from the camera showing you glimpses through sharkmans eyes himself,

All in all, a good way to kill an hour and a half and worth more than the fifty pence I paid for it. If you like similar movies then give this one a chance.

State of Emergency [DVD]
State of Emergency [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jay Hayden
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, not great either, 12 Mar. 2013
This review is from: State of Emergency [DVD] (DVD)
This is a decent attempt at a unique zombie movie. It falls a bit flat at times but there is a sufficient amount of action to keep you entertained until the end. The acting is adequate but nothing special, and in some cases a bit below par but the leading actor manages to carry the movie, just about.

All in all I would say this movie is worth a watch if you can pick it up cheap and is probably more worthy of being in your zombie movie collection than a lot of the rubbish out there.