Profile for Mark R > Reviews

Content by Mark R

Mark R

Lucid
Lucid

5.0 out of 5 stars Progressive with a big P - but so much more than that!, 18 July 2014
This review is from: Lucid (Audio CD)
One of my best purchases this year (and oh what a year it has been – so much good stuff around). Is this prog - No idea. Is it punk – errr no, or is it?. Is it clever – yes. Is it original - certainly. Is it progressive music – absolutely? Is it wonderful – oh yes!

The Man Left in Space
The Man Left in Space
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Best killer rock rift I have heard in a very long time, 17 July 2013
This review is from: The Man Left in Space (Audio CD)
I will be up front before dealing with the album specifically. I like the album very much. I also very much admire Robin Armstrong for who he is - having got to know him somewhat on social media. I may even add he has been gracious in helping to steer me in the right direction with my own musical efforts (which are just a hobby). So, there might be some bias in writing a good review?

Well actually no, I got to know this album long before I knew anything about Robin at all. I admit it did not grip me from beginning to end on the first couple of plays. But then again, nor do most of my best albums I love, they need a bit of work (the joy soon emerges). As for playing in the car (another reviewer mentioned this), I would concede that for me it does not shine like it does on headphones or my Hifi (where it sounds brilliant). I personally think that is the same with some other albums I have (e.g. I just did not get Gaza by Marillion after repeated plays in the car - everyone I talked to raved about it, but not me. However, one play on headphones and it was a revelation).

I am a sucker for concept albums, but sometimes a story seems to have been made up simply as an excuse for a concept. Not with "The Man Left in Space" - there is a clear theme and story throughout; I do not believe I probably get all the underlying themes, but the story itself at face value is fascinating, but unnerving.

Ok, so there are some pointers towards Pink Floyd and why not? However, it is not a PF clone in anyway, in fact I think "Aspire, Achieve" has one of the best killer rock rifts I have heard in a very long time. It's not expected until it kicks in and blows your head off.

The track "The Man Left In Space" has some fabulous guitar lines and I think great singing. More importantly, and quite a few prog bands miss this point, it has a really catchy well developed tune.

"When the Air Runs Out" is heavy and light in equal measures with great keyboard and guitar lines, and a freaky atmosphere.

Overall this is certainly a 5 star album for me. It hits all the right spots. It is one of my `mood' albums, I have to been in the mood and set a time and a place to play it. Then again, I feel exactly the same way about a new album by Shineback I reviewed on here recently.

Rise Up Forgotten, Return Destroyed
Rise Up Forgotten, Return Destroyed

5.0 out of 5 stars The maddest thing you will hear this year, 12 July 2013
This album "Rise Up Forgotten, Return Destroyed" by Shineback (that is, Simon Godfrey from Tinyfish fame), is the maddest thing I have heard this year, indeed perhaps ever! My love for progressive rock ever expands and this album takes it to another level. The thing is, I am not sure how to really describe it or what to compare it too. Let me tell you some of the bands I love (it is nothing like any of them) : Big Big Train, Rush, Yes, Frank Zappa, King Crimson, The Orb, KLF, Dream Theater, Tinyfish and so on). I also perhaps risk putting some of you potential Shineback fans off if I mention beats, blips, dance even! The point is, this is not an album to buy because you like a style. This is an album to buy if you want a truly progressive music experience - one with sublime tunes, soundscapes, vocals and wacky words. It's brilliant.

The Curry Guy's Low Fat Indian Takeaway
The Curry Guy's Low Fat Indian Takeaway

5.0 out of 5 stars Dan does it again :-), 25 April 2013
I have everything The Curry Guy (Dan) has produced so far - in addition to following him on social media and on his own website. What I like about this book, and it's the same with his others, is its totally NOT pretentious - he just tells you what you need to know. The slightly `homemade' feel to the e-books is the advantage, you can tell he has tried these recipes as many times as is required to get it right -in his own kitchen. The current highlight of this book is the oven baked onion bhajees ! Having been on a curry diet for many months these were one thing I would not go near - until Dan came up with a low fat version. Buy this book (then try some of his smoked spices too).

41 Great Indian Seafood Recipes
41 Great Indian Seafood Recipes

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great book from The Curry Guy, 6 Mar 2013
Just downloaded early this morning and I already have tonight's dinner sorted, a fish balti. Just like his other ebook (which I also have), it's all really easy to read. Dan is a great chap to know on social media and that is added value, if you are not sure about something in the book just send a tweet (or email etc). Impressed indeed!

How To Make British Indian Restaurant (BIR) Style Meals
How To Make British Indian Restaurant (BIR) Style Meals

5.0 out of 5 stars It does what is says (not on the tin!), 3 Oct 2012
Do not need to say much - this does what it says - you can cook fantastic BIR curry. I love the website and I love this book.