Profile for Rainer > Reviews

Content by Rainer

Rainer

The End of Jobs: Money, Meaning and Freedom Without the 9-to-5
The End of Jobs: Money, Meaning and Freedom Without the 9-to-5

4.0 out of 5 stars Automation is posing a serious threat to rote work that can be performed better by computers, 2 July 2015
We’ve all heard Marc Andreessen quip how ‘Software is eating the world’. Automation is posing a serious threat to rote work that can be performed better by computers. According to the Economist almost half of all current jobs will be automated. So what does this mean for the next generation of workers?

In Pearson’s view the emphasis should be on "current" jobs. Work in the future will not look anything like it does today, but one aspect will be inevitable: personal entrepreneurship.

This is because the internet has democratised global distribution and has exposed the long tail of consumer demand. In the post-internet world, anyone with a laptop and internet connection can turn his/her personal area of expertise into a useful product/service and cost-effectively ship it to anyone around the world.

In today’s world of educational inflation the limiting constraint for fulfilling work and safe salary is no longer credentialism but entrepreneurship.
As a university researcher in aerospace engineering, I myself am right at the top of this educational ladder. For a long time I kept asking myself, What do I have to fear? Aerospace engineering jobs require a unique combination of analytical skills and creativity, are computers and the masses of new engineering graduates from India and China really going to compete away my livelihood?

Perhaps. I am still convinced that practical professions like engineering will always be in demand.

However, what this book has done is to force me to question my fondly held assumptions and acknowledge that there is room for entrepreneurship for everyone.

I love and enjoy my university work and want to stay in research for the foreseeable future. But, reading The End of Jobs has made me realise that I can add an extra layer of security, and perhaps optionality to my life, by taking advantage of the global marketplace that has been exposed by the internet to sell products/services that leverage my unique skillset.

At the least this creates an additional source of income for the near term. At best, I have the optionality to work freely for myself if I choose to do so in the future.

What’s there to lose?

How To Get to the Top of Google - The Plain English Guide to SEO (including latest Google Updates and Penalty Recovery)

5.0 out of 5 stars SEO in 80/20, 11 Nov. 2012
In a nutshell this book is your SEO bible. It is a quick and easy read highlighting those illusive tips and tricks that will have the most influence on your google ranking, nicely put into context using various case studies. If you want to get to the top of Google and make more money as a business BUY this book!!

How To Get Your Ideal Job: Using LinkedIn, Social Media and the Internet
How To Get Your Ideal Job: Using LinkedIn, Social Media and the Internet
by Tim Kitchen

5.0 out of 5 stars A different approach on the 'looking for a job' theme - recommended!, 12 Aug. 2012
I found this book really interesting and refreshing to get a new perspective on my work situation. So many of the other 'get a job' books I've written are talking about a time long ago where sending off CVs and applying for job adverts was the best thing you could do, but I've tried this approach and seem to be getting nowhere. Whether it's because there are so many applicants now I don't know. But this book talks about the interviews and experience the authors have had actually speaking with recruiters and headhunters. The fact that these people are searching for their candidates on line seems to be quite a new phenomenon and there are some really practical step by step guidelines for making sure what they find when they look you up means that you get the job.

Highly recommended for those who have tried with the CV thing and had no luck or who want to stand out from the crowd!

How to Get Your Ideal Job (Using LinkedIn, Social Media and the Internet)
How to Get Your Ideal Job (Using LinkedIn, Social Media and the Internet)

I enjoyed the practical nature of much of the content. There was a fair bit of theory, but mostly it's things you can do NOW and actions to take rather than just more of the same, talking about CVs and cover letters all over again. Highly recommended for those who have tried with the CV thing and had no luck or who want to stand out from the crowd.