Profile for G. King > Reviews

Content by G. King

G. King "gk100" (York)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
CSL - 3100mA High Power Dual Port USB In-Car Adapter / Car Charging Adapter (cigarette lighter) / Car Charger | 12/24V | Protection Circuit / Electronic Overload Protection | LED Operating Display
Offered by CSL-Computer

5.0 out of 5 stars Very handy adapter, 15 May 2016
I've now ordered several of these, they are very useful for charging USB devices, especially higher powered ones using the 2.1A socket, which not all adapters have. The blue LED round the sockets lights up to show that your 12V socket is working, which is another useful feature.

Signpost To The Stars
Signpost To The Stars
by George Philip

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best way of navigating the northern night sky, 10 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Signpost To The Stars (Paperback)
I have had this book since I was a child in the 1980s and it's a great, great introduction to navigating the night sky. It starts with The Plough and (in winter) Orion, the two most recognisable constellations in the sky and teaches you how to extend out from those to all the other constellations in the sky of the northern hemisphere. A small, pocket sized guide to take on stargazing expeditions anywhere. I now use it with my own children to help them with their star spotting.

Molymod MMS-008 50 Atom Molecular Model Set for Organic Chemistry
Molymod MMS-008 50 Atom Molecular Model Set for Organic Chemistry
Offered by Molymod ® Models

5.0 out of 5 stars Great set - addictive modelling!, 10 Jan. 2015
We bought this as an extension to my daughter's existing set : she enjoyed using that for GCSE chemistry but was a bit frustrated at the size limits of organic molecules which she could make with her existing Molymod set.

Now she is doing AS Chemistry and Biology, the extra carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, sulphur and oxygen 'atoms' in this set come in very handy and the proportions appear about right. Other reviewers have commented that models can be hard to dismantle, but we've found that the little removal tools is very useful.

If this is your only set, it might be a trifle limiting - there are only 12 carbons. And if you're of a biochemical / molecular biology bent, the fact that there's only one phosphorus atom is going to be a bit annoying, given the central role of phosphates in cell biology.

Those are the only negatives : it's a well made set that will help students grasp important concepts like isomerism, conformation of sugars, bond strain in cycloalkanes and carbon rings. And as we've found, the sets are rather more-ish as your molecular modelling ambitions increase.

Sivitec OFC Helical shielded 3.5mm Stereo Jack Plug to 2 x 6.35mm Mono Audio Cable - 1.2 Metres
Offered by Sivitec_Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Good solid cable., 10 Jan. 2015
This is a nice sturdy cable. The 3.5mm headphone jack end is a bit chunkier on mine than shown in the photo, but otherwise, it's the same. I use it to connect my computer to a small analogue mixer that I have.

Celestron 76 mm Firstscope
Celestron 76 mm Firstscope

4.0 out of 5 stars Good first telescope, adult help needed for younger children, 10 Jan. 2015
We bought this for our 7 year old daughter. I was initially put off by some of the bad reviews on here, but I really am rather confused by those now we've got it.

We've had this since daughter's birthday in April so it's only now with the onset of winter that we've been able to get much use out of it before her bedtime. As other reviewers have said, it is pretty easy to set up ; we have a little stool for daughter and use a taller one for me. Now that clear, cold winter skies are here with their complement of interesting constellations, we're getting quite a lot of use out of it. It's been used tonight to see the Orion Nebula and 3 of Jupiter's four Galilean moons and we've previously used it to look at Mars and the galaxy in Andromeda.

To find objects in the sky, I always start with the supplied 20mm eye piece, which has a fairly wide field of view. Even then, it does take a little bit of practice to find things smaller than the moon. Like most telescopes, tilting the scope towards the ground does make whatever you're looking at go up. That also takes a bit of getting used to.

Star-finding is a bit of an art - we're so used to the lovely wide field of view which two eyes give us that a first look through a telescope feels a bit like trying to see the entire inside of a house through a letterbox. If you're after suggestions of things to see and how to navigate to interesting things in the sky, one bright star at a time, I'd recommend this simple book 'Signpost to the Stars' http://www.amazon.co.uk/Signpost-The-Stars-George-Philip/dp/0540002143. I have had it since I was little myself and it's served me well.

But back to the telescope. Once you've got a star or planet, you can lock the vertical tilt, though there isn't a way to lock the base to stop it going from side to side. At that point, you can swap in the 4mm eyepiece for a close up view, though be careful not to move it all while you do that or jerk it once you look through it.

The main shortcoming of this scope is the supplied eyepieces. We've already invested in a Barlow lens which improves the magnification of the 20mm lens quite a lot and leads to a better quality view - we don't really use the 4mm at all. I have seen what other reviewers said about investing in better quality eyepieces and I think we will probably do that soon too. The eyepieces themselves are not awful but they do have a fair amount of chromatic abberation. It would also be nice if there was finer control on the focusing, but those are the only things which have caused me to give four stars instead of five.

The pictures on the box could cause misleading expectations - Jupiter is definitely not going to look as good as that - in fact, I think that picture is a famous NASA shot from the Voyager space probe. On the other hand, the Moon looks much better in the scope than the picture on the box and using it at half moon when shadows are best picks out some amazing details. At full moon it is almost too bright and a moon filter might help.

Finally, I'd say that if you've bought this for a child and they're below age 9 or 10, you will need to help them locate objects in the night sky or even do it for them. I recommend finding stuff first, lining the scope up, swapping eyepieces if needed and focusing before getting younger children outside. They will get bored (and cold) if they wait outside while you do all the above, especially at first while you're still getting used to finding things too. Even an exciting view in the scope will not be enthused about if your dearest is frozen.

I would recommend this scope - as with all telescopes, it will take a bit of investment in time to get the best out of it.

Apple USB Charger Cable for iPhone 4/4S/iPod/iPad Non Retail Packaging
Apple USB Charger Cable for iPhone 4/4S/iPod/iPad Non Retail Packaging
Offered by Mr Stationary

4.0 out of 5 stars Good cable, 10 Nov. 2014
Arrived on time, now doing daily use in my car!

Moleskine Large Hard 12 Months 2014 Weekly Notebook - Red
Moleskine Large Hard 12 Months 2014 Weekly Notebook - Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect size, lovely format, 1 Jan. 2014
I've had one of these before but this one came with an extra treat - a little mini notebook and tabbed section at the back, with stickers for the tabs. Moleskine books are always a bit of a luxury, but very high quality, as always.

Countrymans Cooking
Countrymans Cooking
by W.M.W. Fowler

4.0 out of 5 stars Glorious, scurrilous recipe book, 13 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Countrymans Cooking (Hardcover)
Bill Fowler was a bit of a rogue, to be sure, but a resourceful one and a very compelling communicator. I first came across this book when it was featured in the Daily Telegraph and it was printed along with his guidelines for cooking a proper English breakfast. I've been wanting to see the whole book ever since.

I actually bought it as a Christmas gift for someone else, but by the time I'd dipped into it, it was a real wrench to wrap it up and part with it. It includes recipes for beer, advice on which country birds are good for the pot (curlew, anyone?)

It is politically incorrect in places (even for its time) and that won't suit everyone - despite a strong belief coming out of the pages that men ought to know how to cook, he does draw the gender line at pastry, for which one apparently requires the services of a 'Flossie'.

However, it was an ideal gift for a man who lives in the country, knows a bit about nature and likes to cook. And Bill Fowler's guidance for scrambled eggs and bacon is a time-after-time winner. Heed his advice - if you're cooking bacon and eggs, you haven't got time to put the coffee on or nip out and feed the hens.

Mog in the Dark
Mog in the Dark
by Judith Kerr

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit more off-the-wall than other Mog books, 13 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Mog in the Dark (Paperback)
This is another one of Judith Kerr's 'Mog' books. Almost all her stories feature someone having a mad dream (sometimes Mog, sometimes her people) but a large part of this book is Mog having a really quite surreal, extended dream about things which might go on in the dark.

I'd definitely recommend it to children who are five plus and have a rich imagination. But some young readers might find some of Mog's dream a bit scary. There are giant garden birds with teeth at one point and our five-year old daughter was definitely uneasy about them.

But it compares very well against some of the sanitised children's books of today and if you want to fire your child's imagination, this book will certainly help.

In Car Charger Lead Cable for Apple iPhone 3G 3GS 4 4G iPod Touch iTouch i-Touch Nano
Offered by Mod Accessories Limited

1.0 out of 5 stars Stopped working after less than two months, 13 Jan. 2013
This arrived swiftly and did the job beautifully for less than eight weeks and then just appeared to pack up. The LED is still lit but no current reaches the iPhone. The latching mechanism on the phone end of the charger is also already quite loose.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3