Profile for A Consumer > Reviews

A Capella Do Brasil
A Capella Do Brasil
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Little known but lovely, 22 Oct 2013
This review is from: A Capella Do Brasil (Audio CD)
Thes girls are Brazilian, and sing close harmony. Just lovely. Makes me shiver it's so good. The product came from Germany. Perfect service in every way.

NONSENSE FROM THE BIBLE
NONSENSE FROM THE BIBLE

5.0 out of 5 stars The Bible as an unreliable text, 18 Oct 2013
I awarded this book 5* on the basis of value for money and because it lets the Bible do the talking, with extended relevant texts. I didn't like the confessional style, the hyperbole or the exclamation marks, but the sections which dealt with the Bible as an unreliable text were excellent. In particular, the chapter on the end times and the second coming explores what the Bible actually says on these topics and finds it wanting. The chapters on the Crucifiction and Resurrection and the Prophecies are also good. It was less good when it strayed into areas such as the power of prayer and family values, or into the Old Testament myths, but these chapters are well worth reading too. I have yet to encounter convincing Christian answers to the key questions: "Was Jesus the son of God or the son of a Man?" "Why are there such inconsistencies around the Resurrection story?" and "Why did Christ break his repeated promise to return within the lifetime of those listening to him?" This book will not answer those questions for you, because it sets out to show that the Bible itself presents a confusing story. People of faith will not, I'm sure, be impressed; much less convinced.

Richard Dawkins The God Delusion: A Catholic Response
Richard Dawkins The God Delusion: A Catholic Response

1.0 out of 5 stars Why?, 17 Oct 2013
Maybe God exists. The bigger question is, why does this essay exist? Please light a candle for its author, so that he might become a better writer.

2x Short Arm Guitar Wall Hanger for Electric and Acoustic Guitars
2x Short Arm Guitar Wall Hanger for Electric and Acoustic Guitars
Offered by Motionperformance - Waxacar

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap,but perfectly fine., 19 Sep 2013
These look a lot better than the red spade hangers I've been using. Quick delivery, and cheap, but why pay more? They lack screws, offering the consumer the choice of usinbg his (or her) own crossheads.

Rain Sounds - Rain Sound Ambience Soothing Natural Music for Midfulness Meditation, Relaxation, Spa, Yoga, Massage, Deep Sleep, Sound Therapy

5.0 out of 5 stars So good, I bought it twice., 19 Sep 2013
Couldn't find the original, you see. The second is very wet and relaxing.Good for sleeping on planes. Won't buy again..

Behringer EQ700 7 Band Graphic Equalizer for Guitar and Keyboard
Behringer EQ700 7 Band Graphic Equalizer for Guitar and Keyboard

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, strong and does the business, 24 Aug 2013
Behringer is a really good brand - I also have a Behringer mike and I'm graphically equally pleased with both products. This is small, with a really good range.

Martin Nylon Ukulele Strings - Baritone (.027 - .035)
Martin Nylon Ukulele Strings - Baritone (.027 - .035)

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely sounding strings., 24 Aug 2013
Good value and delivered promptly, these strings have a lovely ring to them. Only just fitted, so I can't comment on how long they last..

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, good service., 24 Aug 2013
With these machine heads, I restored a banjelele. It plays now. The only reason for not giving five stars is that the four machine heads were identical, and as a result, they don't line up and two of them work backwards. An issue if you care.

Stoner: A Novel (Vintage Classics)
Stoner: A Novel (Vintage Classics)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Life. No destiny, no real choices., 31 July 2013
The reviews of this book already say it all, (well almost) so I will try not to repeat. Two additional thoughts:

(1) In order to understand fully the failure of several characters to "seize the day", it helps to be a certain age. If I were younger, or if I had not seen part of the era in which Stoner lived, I too would feel like slapping him, just as someone should have slapped me from time to time. Self-determination is different now.

(2) This is a book about following and not following paths. It is not about destiny or free will, but something else, and certainly not religious faith, which is brushed aside at Stoner's father's funeral. Faith is mentioned once: in the context of the institution of the University.

I believe that Stoner's choices, and avoidance of them, are designed to explore the point that it all makes no difference in the long run. His repeated deathbed question to himself is "What did you expect?"

I expect this book to change lives - it's that good.

Searching Issues (Alpha)
Searching Issues (Alpha)
by Nicky Gumbel

1.0 out of 5 stars Searching Nicky Gumbel, 7 Jun 2012
This review will go wider than the book "Searching Issues" and will stray into views I have formed about the author: moralist and spiritual leader Nicky Gumbel himself. He is now an influential figure, and very successful indeed as the guiding Spirit and presenter of the Alpha Course, which is where I encountered him in 2012 and resolved to know more about him. I am perturbed by what I hear and read, because my view is that he consistently makes a poor evidence case from which he misleads: introducing, for example, the Alpha session on Prayer by stating the "fact" that, according to a recent survey, 75% of us British pray once a week. This is what he does. He presents dubious truth, opinion and prejudice as if they were "facts" and "evidence", then builds a case. In my experience.

His book will appeal as much to the begumbelled as to conservative Christians, who accept that God uses suffering to bring about His good purposes, that Jesus is the only way to God, that pre-marital sex increases the chances of extra-marital sex (all three are quoted verbatim). It is appropriate that a prostitute be forgiven by Christ, New Age thinking is linked to Satan, there is no evolutionary connection between man and ape, and so on.

The chapter on homosexuality is particularly conservative and deeply offensive to people like me, as well as to more than 63% of Christians (see what I did there?). I cannot improve on the two excellent reviews here which comment eloquently on Mr Gumbel's views, and an internet search will reveal much more to the curious. I do not, however, accept that Mr Gumbel is homophobic. I think he is a sincere Christian who cherry-picks his opinions and ignores or contradicts uncomfortable truths. I do not mind that he chooses to disbelieve that the Bible has nothing at all to say about consensual, adult behaviour by partners of the same sex. I do not mind that he takes his views not from Christ, who was silent on this matter. I do not mind that he disregards context, mistranslation and the personal prejudices of (exclusively male) writers. I mind that his views are expressed widely and make intolerance and bigotry acceptable or more likely: for example, Mr Gumbel recommends that a homosexual be corrected, just as we would correct a child crossing a dangerous road. It is possible for homosexuals to be so corrected. His source for this is a study entitled "Homosexuals and prostitutes" dated 1955 (yes, you read that correctly). I suspect that the Christian Church is looking for a somewhat less ante-diluvian standpoint on homosexuality, hence Mr Gumbel's politician-caginess on the subject in a 2009 Guardian interview (well worth reading on-line). Meanwhile, the offensive stuff is still out there and for sale, and I see no retractions of it.

For me, Nicky Gumbel is a nice chap, a bigot, a distortionist and a propagandist. He uses, in my opinion, techniques that good propagandists (such as Herr Goebbels) employ. Now I am not for one moment comparing Gumbel and Goebbels, merely demonstrating the technique of association which he appears to employ when elsewhere referring in the same breath to homosexuals and paedophiles.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5