ARRAY(0xaa493ea0)

48 Hours: A City of London Thriller
48 Hours: A City of London Thriller
Price: 0.00

4.0 out of 5 stars If you enjoy Jeffrey Archer you will enjoy this, 27 Jan 2014
I read this in 2 days whilst on holiday and it was the perfect read under those circumstances. Although it is many years since I read "Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less" by Jeffrey Archer, it did remind me of that book.

I agree with other reviewers that there were some errors, but it didn't detract from my enjoyment of the story and I have downloaded Mr Bentley's other London novels, which I hope to enjoy as much.

If I had one small criticism it would be that in parts the pace was a little slow and in others too fast.

May I Have Your Attention Please?
May I Have Your Attention Please?
by James Corden

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy read, thoroughly enjoyalbe, 18 July 2012
I have only been a fan since I got obsessed with Gavin and Stacey. I was aware of James Corden before this time, but my love of Gavin and Stacey has led me to have an interest in him. I thought the book was very readable and enjoyable, pehaps not the most eloquent book I have read, but written with enthusiasm and just as if James were speaking to you himself. It also helped that he grew up in an area I knew well.

Those reviewers who have said that he is arrogant and full of himself don't seem to get that he has admitted, previously, he was like that, or appeared to be, perhaps to cover up his own insecurities. Maybe in the same way that Chris Evans has. I guess they are both much nicer people for it.

A couple of my friends have told me that they have never watched Gavin and Stacey purely based on the fact that they don't like James. You can't change these opinions, but I wish they would try.

I actually found his accounts of some of our great actors, comedians and directors (Ruth Jones, Alison Steadman, Mike Leigh and Rob Brydon to name but a few) very touching because I love them too.

I am about two thirds of the way through the book and will pass it on to people who I know will appreciate it. I will also make a point of watching/reading anything he is involved in the future.

Fifty Shades of Grey
Fifty Shades of Grey
by E L James
Price: 3.50

1.0 out of 5 stars Apalling, 30 Jun 2012
This review is from: Fifty Shades of Grey (Paperback)
There has been so much written about this book in other reviews I don't want to waste time repeating what has already been said. However, I feel a need to make a comment on a site where at least some others will agree with me.

The book is being featured in every newspaper, magazine, advertising hoarding, facebook comment etc. I just don't get it! This is book is badly written and extremely poor. I don't need to swear, but I honestly cannot find a better way to describe this book other than it is a complete pile of SH*TE.

The story is poor, the characters are awful and non dimensional and the sex parts are just boring, repetitive and horrible. I usually read books right the way through and I did with this one, but actually skipped the sex parts because same old, same old.

Each to their own, but I wish I'd never wasted the money and time I spent on this book. Yeuch, horrible.

Just saying, but why do some reviewers feel the need to provide a lengthy synopsis of the book. People don't want to read that, it is given at the top of the page. They just want to get to what you thought of it.

Krisk French Runner Bean Slicer, Cutter and Stringer Gadget Tool
Krisk French Runner Bean Slicer, Cutter and Stringer Gadget Tool
Offered by Indiabazaar
Price: 5.20

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly satisfactory, 8 May 2012
A bit fiddly, but does exactly what it is supposed to do. I am happy with this product and would recommend

Skechers 123 167 - Black Size 5 UK
Skechers 123 167 - Black Size 5 UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable, 8 May 2012
This review is from: Skechers 123 167 (Apparel)
Have only worn these once, but they were very comfortable and great for dog walking.

I would say the material is a little cheap looking, and I wasn't expecting them to be a mock suede fabric, but this is my fault for not checking in the product description.

All in all I am satisfied with the purchase.

Before I Go To Sleep
Before I Go To Sleep
by S J Watson
Price: 3.86

1.0 out of 5 stars So so disappointed, 26 Jan 2012
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
So sorry, I really, really wanted to like this and I was so looking forward to it, but it is just boring, unbelievable and then ends very quickly in the last 10 pages when everybody seems to live happily ever after. How does Christine's real ex husband Ben, suddenly decide, in the space of a few minutes, that he now wants a future with her, to ask but one question.

This isn't meant to be antagonistic, but I am really interested to understand why anybody would describe this as a phaychological thriller. I have read many in this genre and a phsychological thriller it is not....nowhere close.

Sorry to the author and I wish him all the best.

The Other Family
The Other Family
by Joanna Trollope

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring, boring, boring, 10 May 2011
This review is from: The Other Family (Paperback)
Firstly, I have only read one Joanna Trollope novel before and can't remember much about it, so really have nothing to compare this one with. However, she is a best selling author so I have to assume she has produced better works than this, although I don't think I will be reading any more of her novels.

I was going on a long train journey today so decided to take this novel with me. I managed to read two thirds of the book in my return journey (a total of a 4 hours), so not a great one to take on holiday with you if you like to read for hours.

The best I can say is that it's easy to follow, ie no unexpected twists and turns, and not very many characters to remember.

However, I found the characters one dimensional and uninteresting with nothing to recommend them at all. The only character with any "grit" to her is the London "wife's" best friend, Sue, and she is distinctly irritating.

I will read the final third of the book, which will probably take an hour or so, just because I don't like to give up on books, but so far it is just a bit "nothing" and I'm sorry I bought it.

Fatal Attraction
Fatal Attraction
by Carol Smith
Price: 6.99

2.0 out of 5 stars The Change of Style Doesn't Work, 10 April 2010
This review is from: Fatal Attraction (Paperback)
I have read most of Carol Smith's other novels over the last ten years and found them gripping, especially Kensington Court. However, usually the reader is kept in suspense all through the novel, wondering "Whodunnit?" In this novel Carol declares the murderer right from the start and I was extremely disappointed in the change of style.

Please change back to the suspense style Carol? it much better suits your writing.

What to Do When Someone Dies
What to Do When Someone Dies
by Nicci French

1.0 out of 5 stars Extremely disappointing, 10 April 2010
This is the first Nicci French book I have read and also the last. Having read some of the other reveiws the readers say that this is not their best. Good! Currently this book is the top 10 best selling paperback fictional novels and I could only assume that anybody who bought it had been attracted by the Title, which did make it sound interesting. However, in reality I found the story to be boring, slow moving, one dimensional and extremely rushed at the end. It was as though the authors had been happily bumbling away writing the book with no real purpose until the publishers called and told them it needed to be on the production line in the next five minutes, in the same way I would finish a story as a child when I got bored of writing. Sorry, but there was no depth to any of the characters and no twists - even the reason for the murders wasn't very intriguing.

I was expecting far more twists at the end of the novel until I came to the last page, when I realised that the final 30 odd pages consisted of 15 pages of the next novel, 6 pages of advertisements for the previous books (fair enough) and 8 pages of self indulgent drivel about the authors, where a one paragraph resume is usually sufficient. Moreover, there are no acknowledgements of help form any other parties even the publishers, which supports my feeling that the authors are indeed a mite self-indulgent. I mean they seem to expect the reader to sympathise with the struggles they have writing the novels. Deal with it, that's what you're getting paid for! The majority of authors do it on their own.

For anybody reading this review who would really like to read a good suspense/thriller may I suggest Peter James or Rugh Rendell to name but two far mor gifted authors in this category