Profile for Christopher Welsby > Reviews

Content by Christopher Welsby

Christopher Welsby (Warrington, uk)

Rattle That Lock [VINYL]
Rattle That Lock [VINYL]
Offered by Side Two

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite good, 9 Oct. 2015
This review is from: Rattle That Lock [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Quite enjoyable, bit of mix of sounds and styles, not all Floydian. Some pretty much pure jazz, some 60's floyd, some 80's DG rock. Stand out track for me is 'In Any Tongue' which could be a pInk Floyd track and I find quite moving. Wife said she thought this album sounded more interesting than On An Island which she thought was boring...she has no taste mind lol.

Dire Straits: The Complete Studio Albums 1978-1991 [VINYL]
Dire Straits: The Complete Studio Albums 1978-1991 [VINYL]
Offered by the_record_factory

5.0 out of 5 stars Good sound, 17 Dec. 2013
No complaints here, the pressings (at Pallas) were all great and sound great. I think this set was sensibly priced considering you can pay 30 quid for a single album until recently.

Liszt: My Piano Hero [VINYL]
Liszt: My Piano Hero [VINYL]

3.0 out of 5 stars Vinyl version, 26 Nov. 2011
Firstly, the music is excellent and expressively performed.
Right, my major gripe is the quality of this vinyl record. Not sure
What they've done wrong but there is way too much surface noise.
I was really pleased to see a new recording of classical music on vinyl
but please Sony get it right, sort out the quality control.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 11, 2012 3:15 PM BST

Magic [VINYL]
Magic [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars Great music, lousy production, 19 Nov. 2007
This review is from: Magic [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Very strong offering by Springteen, hard to fault musically. There is a 'but' however, unfortunately this album must have been engineered by a deaf man. The vinyl is a little bit better than the CD, but both seem to suffer from poor sound, lacking in dynamics and bass and rather painful to listen to on a decent system at volume. This is a crying shame because it's such good material. I award 5 stars for the music, 0 for the recording quality.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 3, 2008 8:54 PM GMT

Sky 2
Sky 2

5.0 out of 5 stars Reach for the SKY, 28 Jun. 2007
This review is from: Sky 2 (Audio CD)
This is probably my favourite album by Sky, and I believe it was their best selling. If you've never heard Sky before you might well exclaim 'What the hell is this!' upon first listen, but you can't help but marvel at the musicality of this, it becomes a guilty pleasure.

I like this more than their other albums because it sounds less jazzy and I like the constrast between the pure classical section and the rest.

The Man Comes Around [VINYL]
The Man Comes Around [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars So much feeling, 16 Jun. 2007
I really like this, the spin on some of the cover versions renders these as very different works from the original. The cover of 'Personal Jesus' is extremely enjoyable.

From a vinyl point of view I have to say I was a little disappointed with the physical quality of this item. Come on record companies we buy vinyl for the sound, why do you still use the thin vinyl with poor product values. I picked up a new copy of unchained on 180 gram for a fiver and it was stunning!