Profile for Dave > Reviews

Gangster
Gangster
by Lorenzo Carcaterra

5.0 out of 5 stars A Masterpiece, 29 Mar. 2008
This review is from: Gangster (Paperback)
I really enjoyed reading this book. Carcaterra really brings the story and characters to life and although it is fiction it appears very real. You develop a sense of connection with the main characters and I was almost sad to finish it. I do not usually read books more than once but this is my third time reading it. I cannot wait to read more of carcaterra's work. Definitely a must read!

The Real Forbidden Fruit: How Meat Destroys Paradise and How Veganism Can Get It Back
by Jeff Popick

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a well written book, 28 Dec. 2007
Whilst I believe the message Popick is trying to convey is correct and sincere I do not think he delivers his argument very persuasively. I myself am a vegetarian but found this book very badly wriitten. It is full of quotes and anecdotes from the bible which left me frustrated because the subject is meant to be Veganism NOT Christianity. Popick is also extremely repititive which also annoyed me. He may be a great speaker (as evidenced by his speech at the Animal Rights Conference) but he is definitey not a good writer. I suspect it is self published and I would not be surprised if VeganWorld Publishing is owned by Popick. I do not mean to slam Popick; his ideas and beliefs are admirable but I think he should stick to what he is good at and leave the writing to a professional. I advise strongly not to buy this book. Thanks for reading, keep searching!