Profile for Hew > Reviews

Hew

Amazon Video
Amazon Video

1.0 out of 5 stars No Nexus Player Support, 27 Jan. 2016
This review is from: Amazon Video (App)
Like everything about it. However with no Nexus Player support, hassle to watch on my tv. Thus can't really be more than 1 star. Sure Amazon know what they are doing (their tax guys seem pretty sharp), but seems a little like Google and Amazon won't play nice.

Fire HD 6, 6" HD Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB (Black) - Includes Special Offers
Fire HD 6, 6" HD Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB (Black) - Includes Special Offers

1.0 out of 5 stars DON NOT BUY!!! 5GB of storage!!!, 16 Dec. 2015
Completely pointless! DO NOT BUY!
I have never seen one of these, so why would I possibly pass opinion? Simple 5GB of storage & no SD Card! Why, just why? Its like selling a one-seated car. Why would you need more, 5GBs sounds a lot right? Download 'ONE' HD film to watch offline 2GB, couple games another 2GB, a few PDFs or CBRs sideloaded to read another 2GB, then download, on no hold it says 'OUT OF MEMORY, SOME SYSTEMS MAY NOT FUNCTION'. Seems like nice specs, good build quality, great price, then Amazon does an Apple on us! With the addition of a SD card, this could have been a top buy, as is waste of money. Some people will think I can get by, but the last thing you want on media device is to run out of space foe media.....
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 31, 2015 10:29 AM GMT

LeapFrog Creativity Camera App with Protective Case (Green)
LeapFrog Creativity Camera App with Protective Case (Green)
Offered by LINEN IDEAS

1.0 out of 5 stars lazy and stupid leapfrog, 1 May 2015
My daughter was brought this as a present. Only has Apple app. No android, no windows. We do not own any apple products = useless lump of plastic. Out of interest, over 1 billion other people use android products. Nice business plan idiots, why cater for any of them? Not opened going back.

BoxWave GeckoGrip LG G2 Case - Ultra Slim Snap Shell Hard Cover with Rubberized Anti-Slip Back Cover - LG G2 Cases and Covers (Black)
Offered by BoxWave Corporation

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not fit, 28 Mar. 2015
Does not fit the phone. Why are these still being sold?

Samsung Slim Retail Ext Smart NAS Optical Hub  - Black
Samsung Slim Retail Ext Smart NAS Optical Hub - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Product, Poor Samsung Support, 24 Jan. 2013
Product = 5 stars *****
Price = 5 stars *****
Support = 1 star *

Reading Buddy's review was actually quite unnerving. The exact same same thing happened to me, product working, firmware update, power LED fault, no wifi or usb connection, then a brick! Checked the Samsung website but no support at all.

This is a real shame as the product itself is fantastic. In essence it works; it streams media files (including MKV, Mp4 and MP3) to a variety of devices connected to the same Wifi network. It allows my daughter to stream HD films to her Samsung Tab2 upstairs, my wife to stream home videos to our TV, in the living room and me stream TV shows to my Samsung S2 phone, in the kitchen (no maybe not all at the same time). There is little to no lag while streaming and the picture quality and sound is perfect. It will also stream DVDs over your Wifi network, which is an excellent function. It was easy to set up and is very easy to access.

I believe that within ten years we will all watch media over a Wifi network and as such I think this product is a bit ahead of it's time. You can achieve the same results with a DLNA network, via a wirless hardrive but my understanding is the process is complex and expensive. However as will all first generation technology there are some issues; It will only recognise a hardrive formatted in NTFS, as far as I can tell (this took me some time to work out). It doesn't like files over 4gb or so. It also sets up a temporary copy of your hardrive to process files more quickly and as such does not like it when you move files around on the hardrive. You may need to download additional media players from the Play store and remember just because the device will stream media to your TV, does not mean your TV will have the software to play it.

The biggest downside with this product is the Samsung support. The content on the webiste feels like it has been put together as part of a school project. The FAQ and instruction videos are useless and many of the links don't even work! Then the Samsung firmware bricked my device! If this was an Apple product you know the website content would be accessible and work properly and there would be instore support. However you also know that it would probably only run files from the itunes store and would cost around £400.

When I use the term 'support' I do not mean I need to go into an Apple store to ask how I adjust the screen brightness on my tablet. I mean that the website should be full of key information and well set up online forums should offer responses from Samsung techs. However as a company Samsung offer the best hardware on the market, at a price that consistently undercuts the competition, to consumers who can work out how to adjust the volume on their mobile phones themselves. The cost/hardware combination comes at a price. But as I have found Samsung products generally have no issues, this is all rarely a problem. In addition there are some fantastic online forums that offer peer support for their more popular tablets and phones.

It is a mark of how highly I rate this product that I will actually buy another one. When it worked I would recommend it to anyone. It really opens up a fantastic resource that has a real wow factor. I would however recommend to anyone that they DO NOT UPDATE THE FIRMWARE, it will ask you, just keep saying no. I will try this and hopefully will have no further issues, although this will be the last one I buy.
Comment Comments (11) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 5, 2013 4:46 PM BST

3060 Meter USB Printer Cable Unpacked
3060 Meter USB Printer Cable Unpacked

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor product description, 16 Dec. 2011
Product was delivered promptly however there was ghosting behind the screen. The phone still workedbut as this was a present was a bit disappointment.

Hot Fuzz [Blu-ray] [2007] [Region Free]
Hot Fuzz [Blu-ray] [2007] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Simon Pegg

5.0 out of 5 stars Hot Fuzz, 13 Jan. 2011
This film is sensational! From the stunning lead performance of Simon Pegg, through to the wonderful supporting roles of Edward Woodward, Nick Frost and Timothy Dalton this film is quite frankly flawless. An engrossing and engaging story is slickly directed by Edgar Wright. The film's fast pace and sharp visuals never compromise the character development or the engaging story ark. If you require CGI, high budgets or pointless empty plots this is not the film for you. However if like me you are tired of turning up to over-hyped, under thought-out, weak Hollywood films, this may be for you. It is both essentially English and also probably the best of British. It is dark, funny, insightful, moving and original. If you do not like this film I suggest the next thing you review is a mirror. Five and half stars.

Roberts Radio Sports DAB/FM RDS Personal Digital Radio with Loudspeaker - Black
Roberts Radio Sports DAB/FM RDS Personal Digital Radio with Loudspeaker - Black
Offered by Hughes Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Roberts Personal Radio, 28 July 2010
Service was very prompt and product arrived as promised.

This product is excellent. Small, lightweight, excellent reception, extremely impressive when in speaker mode. I cannot speak highly enough of it. I cycle to work with it, in my bag, and the sound and reception are almost perfect.additionally when walking my dogs it performs just as well. I live Bristol, so could not say how it would perform in areas with lower reception. However for me I would say it has been superb.